Artificial frogs

curlrap

I've never had much luck with frogs, though I haven't tried too many, mostly just the Matzuo and Manglers really. I did have a huge pike on very briefly on the Mazuo once, but failed the hookset and lost it. Jitterbugs never worked very well for me either. Hula Poppers are my go-to for topwater bass and pike, at least when the water is calm. Never let me down, and it's super exciting when you get a hit!

It's a matter if preference and there's several kinda if topwater frogs and some go across pads easier than others some last longer some have better hook positions as well !!! For color I try to have a few and to me the bottom color is more important and on dark overcast days I use a black frog as they seem to see the dark profile better and will get more accurate strikes on it !!!!if I'm fishing it over grass & wild rice I go with the leopard frog white & brown belly !!! I find the RIVER 2 SEA frogs sort of have a hull design on them and they glide better and are not as prone to flip over on the pads and do not get snagged as much !!!! I have done a lot of experimenting with frogs the last few summers and took many hours to really find if it all matters and it does !!!! I think the profile of the frog matters more and some even sit in the water better than others for sure !!!! And on most frogs I do give the legs a bit of a haircut !!!! And a tip if you cut one leg a little shorter than the other the frog will tend to almost walk the dog and turn to the side with the shorter skirting !!!! On a jerk & pause ... It will turn while it's gliding before it comes to a stop !!!! Also I believe I was fishing a frog too fast as the experts say most people do !!!! Brown black and natural belly Colors seem to work the best for myself and try to get a frog that will sit slightly on an angle when it comes to a stop !!!! I have also been trying to use frogs in open water for big smallies and have had some success and that's when you need to have the details all figured out as I have seen some BIG brown tanks following my frog 2 feet below it and watching it very closely in open water 20ft deep !!! It is an awesome sight but have not got any big smallies yet on an open water frog but lots of 2lbers witch is still great but !!! Smallies sure know how to destroy a frog !!! And at $10 a piece and more you can see how it adds up !!! Lol ... I am also going to experiment with sinking a frog and using it for big smallies as well !!!! With putting some weight inside the frog to keep it somewhat level while it sinks !!!! Sorry for the long post !!! I have spent lots of hours really increasing my frog skills and it's paying off !!!!! Cheers & fish-on

Lunkerhunt has a lunker frog and pocket frog. Most natural looking rubber frog out there and most durable I've used yet. My son caught a small pike on the weekend and the rubber looks fine. My brother and I have used them this summer and the legs have lasted so far. Had a few gar swipe at them as well.

Booyah Padcrashers work great too and when I started using them, they were only $5.50 per frog, compared to LiveTarget priced around $10.

I started using Zoom Horny toads this year and those have been fun too. They're around $6-8 per pack (5 count).

Lots of choices and at different price points. Experiment with them and I'm sure you'll have an awesome time.

Thanks for the replies, this post was for my 15 yearly old son who is really starting to love fishing, especially casting for pike and bass. I have tons of takle but I never fished with a top water frog. He decided to buy the live target frog.

the live target topwater mouse is the best thing since slice bread. The action is soooo sexxy to bass it will outfish frogs at least two to one. I had one that I beat it to death and stitched up with braid and crazy glue to finish the season with.

Art

not a frog guy necassarily.........used scum frogs and the KVD sexy frog. Scum frogs were a nogo for me as the legs didnt last in a hot tackle box ("melted together" and even into the tackle box top) The KVD sure looked nice but missed multiple hookups on it

No bass where I live but there are lots of pike. Real frogs are scarce yet frog imitations do produce well. I love top water lures, they are fun to fish with. One of my buddies always outfishes me with a hard top water frog that was quite common but is harder to find these days. I think Berkley used to make them. The body of the frog is divided in 2 parts. The front part looks like a frog while the from the waist down, the lure spins.

I really like to use Salad Spoons for pike fishing. The most versatile lure that I have ever used. It sinks, it floats, it buzzes, it swims, great hook ups and best of all.....inexpensive! I'm sure they would be great for bass. I rarely hear anyone talk about them and I have never seen them for sale.