Pike before the storm

kickingfrog

Went up to Port Severn to see extended family yesterday. The kids (with a wide range of fishing experience) usually catch panfish by the bucket full off the dock but someone is now consumed with topwater frogs. He's had some bass blow-up on his frogs but he hasn't got one to the boat yet. So while I was helping his little sister catch "the biggest rockbass ever" he calmly tells me he's got a fish on his frog. I look over and sure enough his rod is bent over and there is a snot rocket jumping out of the water. Mass pandemonium from the kids on the dock as we land "biggest fish in the lake".

IMAG2116-2_zpsnrnwjn8x.jpg

The pike goes back as the kids consider if they should be swimming in the same water as the "monster pike". Ryan and I shared a look and I though about showing them some photos of the pike and muskie we've caught from near by but thought better of it. Shortly after a wind gust from nowhere had lawn furniture and swim toys looking like tumble weeds, and kids fighting for their balance on the dock so the fishing was cut short.

The lobster was delicious though and someone wanted to bring some shell home.

IMAG2122_zpsevoatdc1.jpg

We were at Pigeon a few weeks ago...I catch a musky a few hundred meters from the beach. Quickly place it in the livewell and bomb back to show the kids who are currently swimming. Naturally dad lets it go just outside the swimming area. THAT was hilarious, like a scene from Jaws with kids scrambling out of the water.

The only thing better than fishing with kids is fishing without them. Just kidding. Although it does get pretty exhausting. Took four fishing the other day on the banks of the Otonabee, spent the entire time running from one to the other, untangling lines and reels, freeing up snags, releasing fish, etc. Priceless though really when I look back on it.