Smart rods!

Pickeral eater

So was just watching the news and a guy from the states has invented the "smart rod." Forgive me if everyone knows about it but this is the first time over heard of it. Apparently this rod detects hits and an alarm sounds. upon picking up the rod it begins to reel in the fish on its own. Has anyone else seen this?

So was just watching the news and a guy from the states has invented the "smart rod." Forgive me if everyone knows about it but this is the first time over heard of it. Apparently this rod detects hits and an alarm sounds. upon picking up the rod it begins to reel in the fish on its own. Has anyone else seen this?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the way the regs are worded this would be illegal in Ontario.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the way the regs are worded this would be illegal in Ontario.

Yes, but I tried looking online for it and couldnt find it. You tube let me down as well. :whistling:

What news channel was it on P?

Edited by Brian B

That is starting to get to the point where you might as well just buy fish at the grocery store.

Is this the rod your referring to?

http://www.tackobox.com

No mention of a self reeling feature though. I can't this self reeling as something I would even want. I would imagine losing a lot of fish with some stupid feature as this...

That said I didn't catch squat today out in a buddies boat.

G

Edited by Gerritt

Caught bits and pieces of it, I believe on cnn. Doing dishes while trying to listen to the full report so may have missed a bit about it but defiantly was referred to as "smart rod" and detects hits and sounds an alarm. The part about self reeling was relayed to me by my father. Just wanted to know if anyone had heard of it or could confirm. But definately on the news tonight!

Is this the rod your referring to?

http://www.tackobox.com

Yup that's it

No mention of a self reeling feature though. I can't this self reeling as something I would even want. I would imagine losing a lot of fish with some stupid feature as this...

That said I didn't catch squat today out in a buddies boat.

G

Having a device on the line that sounds as soon as it moves a nano meter is something the carp guys use regularly. It even comes with a remote that will tell you the line detects something from many yards away. It must be legal I see it all the time and it was on Labignon's show. Not being close to the rod that is in the water is illegal. I'm not sure the regs define how far you can be from a rod to meet the regs. As in having a rod on the ice outside a hut.

Ice fishing its 60m (197 ft) which seems like a lot, im not sure if that applies to all fishing or just ice fishing though and thats all ive ever found. You must also have a clear unobstructed view at all times. Its to limit undue stress on the fish swimming around with a mouthful of hooks while nobodys watching their gear.

Ive prob never been more than 20 feet from a carp rod and ive had one pulled in that was literally right beside me. I agree with holding your rod and working the bait and all but my arm would fall off if i held the rod the whole time carpin haha.

Edited by Gallie

Without the self reeling it is most likely legal. The wording of the regs only allows the hook to be set by a rod under tension,so bent over in a rodholder attached to a release on a downrigger for instance is OK, but if there is any spring or mechanical device setting the hook you cross the line, I assume if it starts to reel in automatically you are also SOL. This seems to be nothing more than a built in bite indicator which as said are legal.

Seems pretty pointless to me. If you're trolling, it's gonna go off every time you bump a rock or weed. If you're still fishing, you could just use a clip-on bell or whatever if you really need an alarm, and use whatever rod you want.