any action in or around port credit of bronte? Photo added!

huzzsaba

I haven't had a chance to get out to the places close to home so I thought I would try it out this weekend but wondering with the heat wave how things are on the credit river or bronte creek. Mainly closer to Lake O side from shore or at the port credit or bronte pier. perhaps fishing in the evening or before sunrise may be worth?

Thanks

Edited by huzzsaba

Just head out and try. Talk to other anglers that you run into. Spending a few hours scouting is never a waste of time. Who knows, you might have some success. If I were to try either of those spots I'd be casting jerk baits or tubes hoping to catch a bass or two. Could be some eager salmon poking around in low light conditions. Good luck.

Yes please pm me. :D

Normally I would just go figure it out, but the last few times I went, nobody else was fishing so I thought they knew something I did not. Literally the only company I had was a beaver swimming in the river :ninja: .

Give it a shot. You never know what can be lurking around the piers during the summer. In the past I've caught chrome chinooks and browns off various piers and beaches in mid-July. You just have to keep an eye on the winds and water temps. When you see a group of big browns busting baitfish on the surface with no one else around, that really gets the heart pumping :D

When the salmon and trout are well off-shore, there are other opportunities like sheepshead, smallies, white bass and pike that hang around the same piers. They often hit the same lures you use for salmon and trout.

we are now into August....only a week or two away from the start of the "early" run...likely the early runners are staging as we speak.

with that said huzzsaba, what I would do is keep an close eye on the winds....after a day or two of strong north winds, hit up the creek and pier mouths...there was a period a week and a bit ago that the surface temps were 55 degrees on the north shore....

if we get those conditions again in the next week or two, there will be some fish accessible from shore....

browns will be heading in shortly as well...they are an early fall spawning fish....if you aren't getting anything chucking spoons, try casting some bomber long A's or J13's...you'll find out if the browns are around in short order :)

Edited by Steve

Yes please pm me. :D

Normally I would just go figure it out, but the last few times I went, nobody else was fishing so I thought they knew something I did not. Literally the only company I had was a beaver swimming in the river :ninja: .

Go cast hardware off a pier. If you get into something then great, if you don't, you've just spent a few hours fishing.

So I went with a buddy and fished port credit. My buddy hooked into a massive carp but it got unhooked at the last second. He was glad it happened that way since his net was not big enough. It was probably a good 25-30 lb carp. Saw a pretty good size pike in there and a few more carp but not much more than that. Will check it out again in the next few days.

Also saw a dead carp probably in the 25-30 lb range laying in the canal at another park down the road.

I was using my flatfish F6 lure in bleeding frog color as well as a green and silver little cleo spoon, but didnt get any bites, but neither did the others fishing. Personally I like the flatfish lure and it has great reviews for trout. Wondering if that is something I should keep trying. for those who have used it know that it stays pretty much on the top of the water. I added a splitshot and got it to go down to around 15 feet. Is that deep enough for trout to notice? The carp and pike were all close to top of the water at the river mouth :dunno: .

Edited by huzzsaba

I didn't read a report from your charter experience. If I missed it sorry. Share your experiences on the water and others will share with you. Did you get to Bing and Grand River

I just got back from my trip less than a week ago and with only one computer at home, and 3 users lol, I barely get time to write a post, let alone a report. Finally got my laptop up and running so once I get some photos uploaded, I will post a report.

Never got around to going to the grand nor to byng, therefore no report.

• 3 weeks later...

So I have been visiting both places the last few weeks and only one day I saw salmon jumping at the rate of 1 jump per minute, but that was only one day until around 7:30 am, and then all quiet ever since.

meanwhile I have been keeping busy trying to fish the river side where definatetely there are fish. I believe the bass are there since the fish start jumping around 8 am till around 10 am and have been catching tiny smallies as well as white bass.

The big fish don't seem to be interested in any type of bait whether it is live bait or plastic. I have tried everything. The last option is to use top water lures, possibly flies.

Any recommendations on what lures to try? I am fishing from shore so I need to be able to cast out a good distance .

Thanks

Edited by huzzsaba

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been trying 2-3 times weekly and finally gave up on spoon chucking for the time being especially since I broke the rod tip on my fishing rod. I had to meet a friend for some pier fishing a few nights ago and knowing we didnt have the ideal setup for salmon, we got some minnows and sat there on the pier. The weather was wonderful and the water was the calmest I have ever seen on Lake O.

We decided to take the route of jigging the minnows of the bottom. A few minnows later,I felt like my line got caught in something, and lo and behold, something is peeling drag on my line. I kind of knew what it was going to be but didnt expect something this size. It was big enough for the surrounding people fishing to come and take a look as no one seemed to be catching anything significant.

And for those discussing the differences in sizes beween the simcoe and kawartha smallies, this I believe is more like the simcoe ones aka football size. Short but heavy. it was approx 18 inches but weighed in at close to 4 lbs.

the bites died down around 1 am and we called it a night. Overall, a memorable night since its the biggest fish I have caught so far and that too on my broken rod. :thumbsup_anim:

Now where are the salmon?!? :Gonefishing:

20150830_002016.jpg

Edited by huzzsaba