Bobs Lake - Family Cottage Week/Fishing Report

hutch4113

I have not managed to make it out fishing a lot this year. Been too busy (well, actually probably too lazy) and also had some work on the boat that I wanted to get done first. Most would have done it in early spring (remember - to lazy) but I waited until June to get started. Bought a used LSS unit last year, and wanted to get it installed before the boat went in the water.

So I was really looking forward to the annual Family Cottage Week. Every year we rent a Cottage throughout Ontario. I look after finding them, researching them, and then booking - usually looking for the following:

1) Allows Dogs - I don't really care myself as we do not own one, but 2 of the Family Members do - and so this is usually a must.

2) Sleeps 8 to 10 Comfortably -> So nothing Rustic :canadian:

3) On a nice lake - good for sailing (for my Dad).

4) Finally - has decent fishing.

Over the years then, we have been on Little Redstone Lake (twice), Loon Lake (Kearny), Healey Lake, Big Clear Lake, and Mississippi Lake. They have all had their Pros/Cons - for instance I was really looking forward to Mississippi Lake - heard it was great for Bass, and had Decent Pike. Unfortunately due to drought conditions, the lake was down 2 to 3 feet - Average - when we were there. So it really messed up everything. Healey Lake should also have been good, but that was Hot Summer -> Water Temperature in some places was reading 80+ degrees - I kid you not. Anything I caught - well lets just say it did not smell right and move on.

Anyway - on to Bobs Lake, which has moved to my all time favorite Lake for Family Cottage Week (followed closely by Big Clear Lake, also in the same area).

Hooked the Boat up on Saturday, and made our way from Barrie to Bobs - going north around Orillia, and over through Highway 7. Could have taken the 401 :wallbash: , but really the drive on 7 is great. The landscapes you see as you drive are really great - particularly once you get past Peterborough.

We arrived that evening, got the Boat Launched - and I was ready.

The 2nd part of this story involves Mystery Tackle Box. For those that have signed up for the service, I had about 10 boxes of lures to use. I had been saving them stricly to use for a trip somewhere. Not for any other reason, then I realized I was continually buying lures - and never using them :whistling: . This needed to stop - so when I cancelled mystery tackle box (not for any other reason than I was addicted) I made it a goal to fish them all, so I could justify why I joined. The lures fit nicely in the a cheap tackle box I bought at Cabelas (my other other addiction) and contained all my go too's for Bobs Lake, whether they worked or not.

So that evening I tied off my first Lure (Live Target Wake Bait - Tilapia) and started casting from the Dock. Couple of casts - couple of small fish and I thought this lake might be good. That is my normal tradition, and it usually proves true - if I catch from the dock, fishing is good. If I do not, then fishing is generally bad.

Sunday proved to be a lay around day. Not sure why, but I really did not feel like going out, nor did anyone else. But around 5PM I decided to give it a try. There was a line of what looked to be bad weather coming (turned out to be Thunder Storms) and I figured I could get a quick troll in. I was glad I did:

DSCN0015.jpg

Now the weather was coming in quick, with Fork lightning seemingly a short distance away. So I put this beauty back (caught him on the same lure I was throwing off the Dock) before I took a measurement. I am still kicking myself, but I tend to do this on my first big catch of the season - adrenaline seems to short circuit my brain. But based on what I caught the rest of the week, will give an estimate of 33 to 35 inches - maybe 8 to 10 pounds. It was a lovely fight and he was pretty thick. The other awkward part - I am in the boat by myself, so my first Pike Selfy :clapping: .

This generally set the pattern for the week. I would throw lures looking for Bass (every lure from MTB was for Bass) and catch Pike.

25 Inch

DSCN0032.jpg

23 Inch

DSCN0046.jpg

[/url]

The other thing this lake has lots of is Pan Fish. I caught my first Sunfish - I dunno - since I was 10. Also caught this (again on the wake bait). My Brother Inlaw ID it as a Black Crappie - so that is what I will go with. Loved the color.

DSCN0022.jpg

But would I catch any Bass? On a real Windy day, we tried this back bay. Lots of logs/stumps, with decent weed cover. Was basically throwing a crankbait as we drifted with the Wind, and I tried to control the boat with the trolling motor. To give an idea of the wind, I put the boat into the wind, set the trolling motor on full - and we moved no where LOL. Moon Phase suggested a lively bite between 4PM and 5PM - and it was correct I rattled off 10 or 11 bass in a row. Nothing really big but it was fun. Example of general size below.

DSCN0017.jpg

But where were the big boys? We went back to that same bay the next day - and got Skunked. I tried everything, from Crankbaits, to Wacky Worms. Wacky seemed to work somewhat, but the fish were extremely sluggish (it had rained the night before, so guessing a slight cold front). They would hit the worm, but not really take it.

I was getting frustrated, so figured - I know where there are some good size Pike - let's try that again. So I cheated a little, and pulled out a 5 Diamond Spoon, tipped it with a white grub tail - and of course caught this:

DSCN0047.jpg

DSCN0048.jpg

I never did catch any big pike on the big pike lure - go figure.

Rest of the week went by too quickly. Soon it was time to pack up, load the Boat, and head home. But as is my final tradition, we do the boat last. Wife takes the truck, and I drive over to the launch point - trolling and casting as much as I can.

In what really was my go to lure, I had the wake bait on again. In the channel from the Cottage, there are a number of weed patchs - so it really was the best lure to use. But would it catch a Bass? Yes Sir it would, as I had probably the most enjoyable fight of the week. I had it tied to my Ugly Stick - and Bammo.

IMG_7568.jpg

IMG_7566.jpg

I am a catch and release fisherman - so I let him go, whispering in his ears - > go forth, get bigger, and I will see you again :Gonefishing: .

Not much else to say, other than we barely scratched the surface of what is on that lake. Between myself and my Brother Inlaw, we caught 7 different species of fish. From what I understand Crow Lake, which joins to Bobs Lake is even better, but we never got there.

Oh well - it definitely gives me a reason to go back.

Edited by Tupelo

I have not managed to make it out fishing a lot this year. Been too busy (well, actually probably too lazy) and also had some work on the boat that I wanted to get done first. Most would have done it in early spring (remember - to lazy) but I waited until June to get started. Bought a used LSS unit last year, and wanted to get it installed before the boat went in the water.

So I was really looking forward to the annual Family Cottage Week. Every year we rent a Cottage throughout Ontario. I look after finding them, researching them, and then booking - usually looking for the following:

1) Allows Dogs - I don't really care myself as we do not own one, but 2 of the Family Members do - and so this is usually a must.

2) Sleeps 8 to 10 Comfortably -> So nothing Rustic :canadian:

3) On a nice lake - good for sailing (for my Dad).

4) Finally - has decent fishing.

Over the years then, we have been on Little Redstone Lake (twice), Loon Lake (Kearny), Healey Lake, Big Clear Lake, and Mississippi Lake. They have all had their Pros/Cons - for instance I was really looking forward to Mississippi Lake - heard it was great for Bass, and had Decent Pike. Unfortunately due to drought conditions, the lake was down 2 to 3 feet - Average - when we were there. So it really messed up everything.

Healey Lake should also have been good, but that was Hot Summer -> Water Temperature in some places was reading 80+ degrees - I kid you not. Anything I caught - well lets just say it did not smell right and move on.

Anyway - on to Bobs Lake, which has moved to my all time favorite Lake for Family Cottage Week (followed closely by Big Clear Lake, also in the same area).

Hooked the Boat up on Saturday, and made our way from Barrie to Bobs - going north around Orillia, and over through Highway 7. Could have taken the 401 :wallbash: , but really the drive on 7 is great. The landscapes you see as you drive are really great - particularly once you get past Peterborough.

We arrived that evening, got the Boat Launched - and I was ready.

The 2nd part of this story involves Mystery Tackle Box. For those that have signed up for the service, I had about 10 boxes of lures to use. I had been saving them stricly to use for a trip somewhere. Not for any other reason, then I realized I was continually buying lures - and never using them :whistling: . This needed to stop - so when I cancelled mystery tackle box (not for any other reason than I was addicted) I made it a goal to fish them all, so I could justify why I joined. The lures fit nicely in the a cheap tackle box I bought at Cabelas (my other other addiction) and contained all my go too's for Bobs Lake, whether they worked or not.

So that evening I tied off my first Lure (Live Target Wake Bait - Tilapia) and started casting from the Dock. Couple of casts - couple of small fish and I thought this lake might be good. That is my normal tradition, and it usually proves true - if I catch from the dock, fishing is good. If I do not, then fishing is generally bad.

Sunday proved to be a lay around day. Not sure why, but I really did not feel like going out, nor did anyone else. But around 5PM I decided to give it a try. There was a line of what looked to be bad weather coming (turned out to be Thunder Storms) and I figured I could get a quick troll in. I was glad I did:

DSCN0015.jpg

Now the weather was coming in quick, with Fork lightning seemingly a short distance away. So I put this beauty back (caught him on the same lure I was throwing off the Dock) before I took a measurement. I am still kicking myself, but I tend to do this on my first big catch of the season - adrenaline seems to short circuit my brain. But based on what I caught the rest of the week, will give an estimate of 33 to 35 inches - maybe 8 to 10 pounds. It was a lovely fight and he was pretty thick. The other awkward part - I am in the boat by myself, so my first Pike Selfy :clapping: .

This generally set the pattern for the week. I would throw lures looking for Bass (every lure from MTB was for Bass) and catch Pike.

25 Inch

DSCN0032.jpg

23 Inch

DSCN0046.jpg

DSCN0044.jpg

The other thing this lake has lots of is Pan Fish. I caught my first Sunfish - I dunno - since I was 10. Also caught this (again on the wake bait). My Brother Inlaw ID it as a Black Crappie - so that is what I will go with. Loved the color.

DSCN0022.jpg

But would I catch any Bass? On a real Windy day, we tried this back bay. Lots of logs/stumps, with decent weed cover. Was basically throwing a crankbait as we drifted with the Wind, and I tried to control the boat with the trolling motor. Moon Phase suggested a lively bit between 4PM and 5PM - and it was correct I rattled off 10 or 11 bass in a row. Nothing really big but it was fun. Example of general size below.

DSCN0017.jpg

But where were the big boys? We went back to that same bay the next day - and got Skunked. I tried everything, from Crankbaits, to Wacky Worms. Wacky seemed to work somewhat, but the fish were extremely sluggish (it had rained the night before, so guessing a slight cold front). They would hit the worm, but not really take it.

I was getting frustrated, so figured - I know where there are some good size Pike - let's try that again. So I cheated a little, and pulled out a 5 Diamond Spoon, tipped it with a white grub tail - and of course caught this:

DSCN0047.jpg

DSCN0048.jpg

I never did catch any big pike on the big pike lure - go figure.

Rest of the week went by too quickly. Soon it was time to pack up, load the Boat, and head home. But as is my final tradition, we do the boat last. Wife takes the truck, and I drive over to the launch point - trolling and casting as much as I can.

In what really was my go to lure, I had the wake bait on again. In the channel from the Cottage, there are a number of weed patchs - so it really was the best lure to use. But would it catch a Bass? Yes Sir it would, as I had probably the most enjoyable fight of the week. I had it tied to my Ugly Stick - and Bammo.

IMG_7568.jpg

IMG_7566.jpg

I am a catch and release fisherman - so I let him go, whispering in his ears - > go forth, get bigger, and I will see you again :Gonefishing: .

Not much else to say, other than we barely scratched the surface of what is on that lake. Between myself and my Brother Inlaw, we caught 7 different species of fish. From what I understand Crow Lake, which joins to Bobs Lake is even better, but we never got there.

Oh well - it definitely gives me a reason to go back.

Over the Canada Day week I stayed at the most Dog friendly resort I have ever been to. Dogs get free reign. No leashes can just wander around. The fishing was Fantastic for pike and bass(both SMB/LMB). It's boat to only and is on an island in Georgian Bay. I missed the only Musky that I got to my bait but I did drink a lot that week and so wasn't as intense as normal. You might want to give it a try some time,I know I will be back.

http://www.milllakelodge.com/

Forgot to add a mea culpa.

You will notice there are only pictures of me. That is not because my Bro In-law did not catch anything - most of what he had were hammer handles, etc. But he did get one good Pike - and I lost it on him :wallbash: .

We had it in the net, and the hook was out. I had watched him pick up some other pike, and he didn't look to comfortable with it, so I grabbed this one. Taking it over to the side of the boat to measure it - and "flip" - there it goes. So - no measurement, and no picture. Sigh.

I spent a week on Bobs over Canada Day week. Have spent 2 weeks a year on it last number of years as my wifes family cottages on it.

I have never seen a lake with such beautiful looking BASS water provide such little success. My dad and i joked that Bass were the new musky for 'fish of 1000 casts'

SUre we caught bass but no size and for the effort put in its disheartening. Tons of hammerhandles, crappies and bluegills and a wonderfully scenic lake to navigate and my kids love it for swimming. My family is going again in August and im thinking of keeping the boat on the trailer and just going into other lakes for day trips.

I spent a week on Bobs over Canada Day week. Have spent 2 weeks a year on it last number of years as my wifes family cottages on it.

I have never seen a lake with such beautiful looking BASS water provide such little success. My dad and i joked that Bass were the new musky for 'fish of 1000 casts'

SUre we caught bass but no size and for the effort put in its disheartening. Tons of hammerhandles, crappies and bluegills and a wonderfully scenic lake to navigate and my kids love it for swimming. My family is going again in August and im thinking of keeping the boat on the trailer and just going into other lakes for day trips.

I hear you. Check out Bucks Bay on Bobs Lake. Never made it in there, but I think a lot of guys were having good success there. When I pulled up to load, there were some guys with a couple of SM, and a big LM.

They were using Leeches. Not sure where they were fishing, but I suspect Bucks Bay (I was loading at Sunset Campground - the Bay is just around the corner).

I hear you. Check out Bucks Bay on Bobs Lake. Never made it in there, but I think a lot of guys were having good success there. When I pulled up to load, there were some guys with a couple of SM, and a big LM.

They were using Leeches. Not sure where they were fishing, but I suspect Bucks Bay (I was loading at Sunset Campground - the Bay is just around the corner).

I was in there. Launched at same place as you as the cottage was in that bay. Caught a walleye in Bucks and a 14" smallie and a similiar largemouth. Weird thing is the hundreds of beds we would see in the bays. Where the heck did they go????