Launching in Canada and fishing US waters

bassfighter

Few anglers were warned of not making this phone call, a potential fine. This topic was posted at niagara fishing board, since those who fish USA neighboring water ine, including nIagara river and Lake Erie , we need to be aware of this existing Law. CBSA seem to start implementing this rule lately,

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html

I called today, the CBSA officer said I need to call them regardless I am bringing fish or not bringing anything ,back to Canadian boat launches . Call at 1-888-226-7277 to let them know of our intention.

If I am embarking goods, (bringing fish back) I can use my cell to call them or go to a reporting station , there will be a physical phone there as I was told, though no actual office or person might be there, then the CBSA officer will decide if they will dispatch an officer to come and inspect our goods (fish caught to be brought back to canada) , or they might likely not even bother showing up and let us go.

I went through their list of reporting station, since some boat launching site I used were not part of their TRC(Telephone reporting center) and do not have a phone to use, I am force to detour to a boat launch reporting station if I plan to bring fish? Just purely inconvenient and stupid ! DIscourage us anglers from taking any fish home. My friend normally takes two bass home.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html#a3

If you are returning to Canada, you can report to the TRC from the location at which you enter Canadian waters when you:

• have not landed on U.S. soil, and
  • you have not taken on any people or goods while in foreign waters.

Note: If you meet the above conditions and are planning on continuously weaving in and out of Canadian waters, you only need to report to the TRC the first time that you cross the border into Canadian waters.

Some Reporting station that I found from the website above are:

1.Greater Niagara boat club 4649 Lyons Creek Road Niagara Falls ON L2E 6S6

2. Navy Island

3. Beacon Marina- 2793 Service Road North Jordan Station ON L0R 1S0

4. berties boat launch - 1010 Point Abino Road South R.R. 1 Ridgeway ON L0S 1N0

4. Chippawa boat launch - 4379 Lyons Creek Road Niagara Falls ON

5. Chippawa riverside courtesy dock - 3618-3714 Bridgewater Street Niagara Falls ON L2G 6W1

Requirements for Canadian citizens or permanent residents

• Full name, date of birth and citizenship;
  • the length of absence from Canada; and
  • one of the following:
    • valid Canadian passport,
    • enhanced driver's license,
    • Permanent Resident Card,

If anyone are familiar with upper river boat launches, feel free to post other TRS telephone reporting station found on their UNINTERACTIVE rmap. http://www.cbsa-asfc...m-sdtm-eng.html.

I do not fish the lower river by boat, except at whirlpool or Queenston on shore , so I am not familiar with the boat launches other than queenston.

Queenston Sand Dock Public Ramp

Edited by bassfighter

When I called US border security 1-800-827-2851, and spoke to one of their officer, I was told we do not need to call them as long as we are not bringing hazardous goods across the border. I presume we need to call them when we are bringing live bait or worms when we cross the US water line, the term they used was" BRINGING potential Hazardous or contaminated Goods to USA". Due to potential disease from meat, fish, fruits. they would not like that if crossing by land, air or sea.

Since my fishing buddies and I do not use live bait or worms, we do not have that potential issue, but our lunch food, could contain, cook meat, fruits, beef jerky, etc...........HOW CAN LIFE BE THAT COMPLICATED?

I've been stopped on the U.S. side a number of times. Fishing licence and safety equipment is all they look at. Never asked for a passport yet and it's been never suggested I should be calling or checking in. The only suggestion I ever got from a U.S. Marshall was "try over by the old crane, I did good there last week"!

It was the CBSA that was finicky, Not US Border patrol officer. Maybe CBSA need more new materials for their reality TV shows.

Someone from another board reported CBSA fined american boaters of $700 from carrying Night crawlers fishing Canadian waters. since the worms were not certified.

WHile driving across the border on two occasion, American Border patrol on Lewiston bridge was overly friendly to my surprise. One officer wanted to know where I fish at niagara river, and what lure I used, so I went to the trunk to show my collection of lures on my tackle box. There were car line ups behind me, but he did not care and wanted to chat about fishing, and we chatted on fishing presentation, . Another instant I was ask where I was going, and I said fishing at Burt's Dam NY , Pulaski, etc... He said "That's my man" then he suggested to also try Olcott, and finger lakes, also have good fishing.

I could not say US or Canadian border officer were either friendly or rude in general, my experience were mix.

Edited by bassfighter

We cross back and forth all the time on the Detroit River and at the West end of Erie & St Clair. Canadians do not have to report to the USA authorities if they are fishing on the US side as long as they are not anchoring in US waters, entering and inland waterway (river or canal), or touching shore, or rendezvousing with another vessel . Before re-entering Canadian waters you need to call the telephone reporting center the first time you cross each day to report in and let them know you are coming in and out. Of course you need your US license, should have your passport, and abide by all fishing and bait regulations. CBSA has never even asked if we had fish with us but who knows what they're up to these days. Lots of guys don't call but I'd rather not deal with the problem for the sake of a phonecall.

THIS IS ALL Bull..............for YEARS we have fished both side of the boarder.....do you think fisherman on either side is a threat to national security on either side of the boarder or a fund that was never tapped until now ! ! !

Fund for what? There aren't really any costs involved other than the non-resi license that you always needed,,,

I have many relatives just over the ditch in Western NY. A discussion just this past week centered about requirements for boaters on each side at a family get together. As I understand it in order for a Canuck to boat in US waters certain safety requirements and a permit/sticker must be visible to US Coast Guard. I can't seem to find such requirements in the quagmire that is the US Gov. websites. I was thinking about launching in Chippewa and heading to North Tonawanda and docking at a my Uncles place on the Erie Barge Canal in a pals 28 footer. I have always wanted to do that since I was a young kid, now I can, maybe. Anyone here hear of such requirements.?

Thanks for the heads up Bass fighter on entry requirements, I know there is one of those landlines at the top of the cliff at one of the trailer parks in Lowbanks. I will find the name of it.

Got it, Highland RV Resort/905-774-8082. A very nice place if you can make it up a few hundred stairs from the beach.

Johnny D

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I have many relatives just over the ditch in Western NY. A discussion just this past week centered about requirements for boaters on each side at a family get together. As I understand it in order for a Canuck to boat in US waters certain safety requirements and a permit/sticker must be visible to US Coast Guard. I can't seem to find such requirements in the quagmire that is the US Gov. websites. I was thinking about launching in Chippewa and heading to North Tonawanda and docking at a my Uncles place on the Erie Barge Canal in a pals 28 footer. I have always wanted to do that since I was a young kid, now I can, maybe. Anyone here hear of such requirements.?

Thanks for the heads up Bass fighter on entry requirements, I know there is one of those landlines at the top of the cliff at one of the trailer parks in Lowbanks. I will find the name of it.

Got it, Highland RV Resort/905-774-8082. A very nice place if you can make it up a few hundred stairs from the beach.

Johnny D

Boat over to Erie Basin Marina in Buffalo, it's right on the edge of the canal at the head of the Niagara River. From there stop at the gas dock just as you enter the Harbor right by the Light House. They have a phone there to report into the US and from their you can motor down the canal if you wish and lock down for free or just motor down the Niagara River to Tonawanda to your uncles dock.

These sitse may be helpful if you plan to land in the US. For small vessels the requirements are minimal. One thing that has trips up some people though is that you need a Station License for VHF radio in addition to your Radio Operators Certificate if you are operating it in US waters. In Canada you don't need the Station License so lots of folks don't have them.

http://boating.ncf.ca/usborder.html

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/pleasure-boats-private-flyers/pleasure-boat-overview

Edited by G.mech