Welland Canal

Reel Man

Hey guys. So the wife and I are moving to St Catharines next weekend. Our new place is about 5 minutes down the street from the Wellland Canal by the QEW bridge. Question is: Is there anything to fish in the canal? I've read a few widely varied opinions on the subject including a few posts on this site a few years back. Didn't sound very promising but you never know what a few years can do to a fishery. Mostly just hoping cause it's so close to home! Any tips or advice greatly appreciated.

Also any locals who wouldn't mind a couple of new fishing buddies Lela and I are always looking for fishing friends! :)

In the canal itself? I grew up in St.Catharines, only time I ever fished it was in the fall for salmon (ie dirty boots). A lot of other options around there that you'd probably fish instead during the summer, etc.

The Seaway Authority is not too crazy about people fishing in the canal, at least the part that has freighter traffic in it today, there is an recently unused section running through downtown Welland that has some pretty good angling opportunities and you can used unmotorized watercraft in there. Dain City is a popular destination and I've got some decent smallies where it narrows for a train bridge near Port Robinson.

I said recently unused, that was about 1970, recent I guess is defined by your mileage.

During the shipping season, fishing is out of the question in the canal. You could be floating a bomb inside your bobber. Could be worse. After 911, American Homeland Security wanted the entire canal lined with razor wire and armed guards.

There are lots of quiet little holes and corners to tackle in the region, with a wide range of species. All within 20 minutes of St Catharines. Hopefully we can find some time to connect.

I used to fish down there years ago. I want to Say it was near Lock 7, but looking at a map just now I it seems like Lock 3. There are plenty of carp around and lots of little pike. Never caught anything big there myself. Its not the safest place to paddle around as the water level changes pretty quick, but there was lots of shore spots as I recall.This is going back to 2004-05.

Not an easy place to fish if you do not have a boat. We tried few times after fishing niagara river, then just ventured to the canal. So far was not successful. We heard pike and bass , most reports were carp and channel cats.

Port delhousie has bass , I heard walleye, occational sheepheads at night at the mouth. You have more chance fishing it.

I have seen plenty of shore guys fishing the old canal. I know that is not he proper name of it . The fall fishery at Pt, Dalhousie is hot. I have seen cars parked there with plates as far away as Michigan and Ohio. I used to fish Jordan Harbour. We pulled out very nice Large Mouth out of there in the late 80's. Lots of slop and good weed lines back then, now? You will find out. Good luck and welcome to the Peninsula.