Kesagami Fishing Lodge - AKA The Monique Fishing Show

TJQ

With both kids working at Kesagami Wilderness Lodge this year we thought it would be a good year to go up and take a 4 night trip in, see the kids and brush up on our walleye jigging and pike casting (uhhgg)

First off I left booking a room in Cochrane till about a week before, after all.. how hard can getting a room in Cochrane be?? We've had some crappy experiences at no name hotels, so up there we've always booked at the best western, its not cheap, but its a really nice place. Unbeknownst to us, there was a HUGE wedding there the night we needed AND a ton of construction workers in town working on a very large solar farm! After going through 4 hotels we were finally able to get a room at the Thriftlodge (This info is for other travellers.. The room was more than adequate, and there is a Steakhouse right next door. I was happy that the difference in price between the Best Western and the Thriftlodge actually paid for a nice dinner and drinks!)

The next morning we headed to the airbase, and were surprised to hear that there were enough patrons going into the lodge that we would be using the Otter instead of the usual Beaver. Here us in front of it. I have to say... smoothest flight in ever!

11695010_10153377738653548_8525013170245

IMG_4070_zpshv4snkfv.jpg

And we did get a picture or two of the solar farm itself!

IMG_4086_zpsj2aouz3k.jpg

Once in we were greeted by the kids and what was probably the best part of the whole trip... served breakfast by our daughter... lol...

We were on the water for the first day by 10:00 and headed off to out favorite spot to make sure we had enough walleye (pickeral) for shore lunch.. which turned out to be pretty easy. Monique, as always outfished me for most of the trip, but I think its cause I was usually busy getting fish off her rod! (Get ready for the "Monique caught all the fish show... dammit!)

IMG_4093_zpszuzzsqyx.jpg

IMG_4095_zpsefitk6vv.jpg

Our favorite spot for lunch was taken so we ventured to a spot we had never been to before and made our lunch, Onions and fish over the open fire. Delicious as always.

IMG_4107_zpslcwmoa8p.jpg

IMG_4114_zpsabotqx1x.jpg

IMG_4109_zpst3kr06ja.jpg

The next day we got an early start and boy what a day we had. Pickeral were easy to catch for lunch, and our favorite spot (propane and tables) was open so we made fish and beans. The day just got nicer and nicer and by the time we got back to camp, we had put well over 100 fish in the boat, it was one of those days where you couldn't do anything wrong, by mid afternoon, we were just trolling shorelines and picking up a pike or pickeral on our spoons every 5 min, anywhere we went, they were on. I even had a pike come to the side of the boat and hit my spoon when it was hanging over the side of the boat while I removed a fish from Monique's line! When we got back to the lodge we found that they were on for everyone, everybody caught a mess of fish that day. I have to say its probably the best day of fishing I have ever had.

IMG_4120_zpsxm4xqhbd.jpg

IMG_4118_zpskdjeq0uj.jpg

IMG_4131_zps3r9kkbk1.jpg

IMG_4135_zpsenyxxdyd.jpg

IMG_4142_zpsw1gg6mkz.jpg

IMG_4146_zpsuslswn3l.jpg

IMG_4152_zpsbjbrsdts.jpg

IMG_4155_zpskxvhws6e.jpg

IMG_4160_zpsm3xbtaed.jpg

IMG_4163_zps5rkoh6bn.jpg

IMG_4169_zpsvselcpfr.jpg

IMG_4176_zpsjfrutepy.jpg

IMG_4179_zps6kwgixw4.jpg

The next day was our day with the kids, they were able to switch their shifts around and were able to come out for the day. We were so excited. But overnight the temps went to 6 degrees and this massive cold front rolls through, fog, cold north wind and 4 foot rollers. We weren't impressed, this was after all gonna be family day. But like every good Dad, I endeavor to my my family's life an "adventure" (Jaden would insert the work miserable in there LOL) and we bundled up and headed out into some pretty miserable weather. The boats up there are perfect for that lake, but the wind and spray had us soaking wet by the time we got to our spot, and after no luck fishing (I new it would be hard after the front) we decided to find a wood stove at the lodge and dry out.

This picture doesn't do the weather justice.

IMG_4192_zpscr2nhf9g.jpg

IMG_4188_zpsloagwowp.jpg

IMG_4189_zpsmj9occt4.jpg

We had a nice sandwich and headed out again this time down the MUCH calmer river to find a small lake called 5 Mile Lake (Im assuming its cause it was five miles away, cause Monique and I had never been that far down the river. It was a long boat ride and Jaden found a way to have a nap!

IMG_4199_zpsclvf4xpr.jpg

We found what we thought was the inlet to it, which turned out to be just a stream but as we were trolling down it, bam.. we got on to 7 pike in about 20 min. The contest between mom and son was on!!

IMG_4203_zpsaodffkep.jpg

IMG_4204_zpshksgbpgd.jpg

Turning the boat around in there was fun but we got out and found the river we were looking for and got to the lake, it was not so small and pretty choppy... we stayed out of the wind as best we could and found the waterway dumping into the lake, which we trolled up. In one bend of the stream we caught 4 nice pickeral on our spoons, perfect size for eating, Monique and Avery got two of them on at the same time! We decided to stop at the shorelunch spot and have a bit of a break and some pickeral!

IMG_4207_zpsf5bokwzv.jpg

IMG_4211_zpsymkdw2ok.jpg

IMG_4213_zpscejtc50v.jpg

IMG_4228_zpsy0xs99mt.jpg

IMG_4244_zpsxgg3bczu.jpg

Then back to the lodge for a late steak dinner, a drink or two and BED! We were exhausted! But I have to say, throwing a little adversity into the day made it all the better. We had a lot of family laughs and some great conversations!

The next day was to be our day with our guide Jake. When we are looking for pike we like to have a guide as they are usually pretty familiar with where the best spots are in the lake at what time. Unlike the walleye whose spots we are well aware of, the pike move around during the summer depending on water temp and weed cover. The first order of business was to get our lunch and after the cold front we figured this might be tough, but after the sun came out, we found a spot and must have pulled 30 or so out including a 22 and 25 incher. Of all the fish i think there was only one under 16 inches, they were all hogs and it was tons of fun.

IMG_4250_zpsrbheptik.jpg

IMG_4254_zpseo5izcex.jpg

IMG_4261_zpsgdrr23o2.jpg

At the shore lunch spot, I wasn't sure if I could get another pickeral dinner in me, but to my surprise, Jake put together what I have to say was some of the best fish I have ever ate in my life, and I consider myself to be a shore lunch aficionado!.. I ate more fish than I had any day previous and we left the spot stuffed. - AND now I know his secret!! (It was really nice to sit back and let someone else drive the boat!)

IMG_4270_zpsrc4pqcia.jpg

IMG_4282_zpsq0x36m5r.jpg

IMG_4284_zpsyq7iqrwg.jpg

IMG_4286_zpsn3eb2ddp.jpg

We headed over to to Jakes favourite casting spot. Now Monique and I are traditionally trollers, ie to lazy to cast, but up here, if you want the nice pike ya gotta go casting so, in the right wind we started drifting down the side of this 300m section of pencil weeds, and all three of us were using black buzzbaits, specifically these ones (I think they are the Cavitrons??)

CAV-BLK-BLK-1.jpg

Over the afternoon we drifted that shore 12 times and EVERY time we at least had a nice boil and hit in the weeds. 3 or four hit right at the boat and we had ANOTHER one hit Moniques lure while her rod was at rest and the lure dangling in the water... TWICE in one trip WOW. We managed to hook three decent pike in there, but I think we were a bit inexperienced in setting the hook using those baits and although the fish tried to latch on, it was usually our over enthusiasm at setting the hook that undid us. lol. Two things I did take away from that how ever, was this that we spoke to another guide who fished that spot that morning for an hour while we were pickeral fishing and didn't even get one bite, AND the biggest one we saw, was sitting in a spot that I know we had ALL casted to at least 6 times.

IMG_4288_zpso3jfdnii.jpg

Back to the Lodge we went very tired and very happy for another wonderful day.

IMG_4291_zpsqpyaqjzq.jpg

On Thursday we flew back out and headed home. It was a wonderful trip, leaving me wholly anticipating when we can next make a visit.

IMG_4307%20Medium_zpsbqx19cef.jpg

IMG_4320%20Medium_zpsj034mrip.jpg

It was a wonderful time, as always the Manager, Charlie as well as all the rest of the staff go out of their way to make sure your stay is as pleasant as possible. We will be Visiting Kesagami AGAIN!

If there was ever a couple that matched,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

YOU TWO ARE THE ONE.

I thought I had a chance to steal her at our first meet ( remember that? LOL), but you shoved me away real quick. Pay no mind to that newfie you said, if I remember correct. LMAO

Great report boss and thanks for taking the time.

You have one great partner my friend, and family.

:canadian:

What a pleasure it would be to spend time with the family and catch fish one after another after another. That sure is God's country. What I noticed right away was how brilliant gold the pics are up north. They shine like a new Rolex. The walleye here on Erie are a drab light green with no gold at all.

It is tough to hold back when a fish takes a topwater but it can be deadly and to me the most exiting way to take a fish.

Very nice Sir, thanks for sharing your adventure and family time with us.

i love reading about what lakes used to be like prior to us humans ruining everything. These fishing trips are like shooting fish in a barrel. Imagine when the kawarthas and great lakes were like this.

Great report.

They had a catch and release policy before many others did, well over 25 years now I'm sure, barbless hooks only. NO PIKE KEPT. max two walleye each for shore lunch. They have done alot to ensure a very sustainable fishery.

If there was ever a couple that matched,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

YOU TWO ARE THE ONE.

I thought I had a chance to steal her at our first meet ( remember that? LOL), but you shoved me away real quick. Pay no mind to that newfie you said, if I remember correct. LMAO

Thanks Bud, shes raised me from a pup.

nice. Looks like a lot of fun was had I see Monique shares my other half's taste in beverage. Everything goes fine with wine..

Living/fishing with me demands a bit of libations...

What a pleasure it would be to spend time with the family and catch fish one after another after another. That sure is God's country. What I noticed right away was how brilliant gold the pics are up north. They shine like a new Rolex. The walleye here on Erie are a drab light green with no gold at all.

It is tough to hold back when a fish takes a topwater but it can be deadly and to me the most exiting way to take a fish.

Very nice Sir, thanks for sharing your adventure and family time with us.

I think its the tannins/darkness of the water. We've been sometimes catching them in two feet of water.. cant see your jig and sometimes pull them out when you set your hook! but the water isnt murky at all ...

Brian, both the one in TJ's photo's, and the one you linked, are 10MW. (almost $40 million in equipment each farm...There are a couple 100MW projects in the country right now that are absolutely amazing (Haldimand and Kingston)...I'm always curious as to what locals think about them...I know MOST folks are against wind turbines....so be it....but with respect to solar...Most seem ok with it.

Enough of this sidetrack, lol.... :)

Edited by Steve