Slop fishing with frogs and some others

kickingfrog

Two trips, one post.

Fair amount of hits and we even got the hooks into a few. Despite years of tips, my brother doesn't take the best photos even with his own camera.

Ryan had some hits on his topwater but couldn't get the hooks into one. Lots of panfish though.

DSCF2490_zpsfcoelruc.jpg

DSCF2492_zps9mqi6ous.jpg

DSCF2503_zpsdc6txz4p.jpg

DSCF2507_zpsi3psbspk.jpg

DSCF2508_zpsc56b17m7.jpg

DSCF2510_zpsyx2djjs8.jpg

DSCF2516_zpse2baslwc.jpg

DSCF2519_zpstw8rq23d.jpg

DSCF2561_zpstqkmd1k4.jpg

DSCF2566_zpsyh9ywdxg.jpg

DSCF2564_zpspbawbzeg.jpg

DSCF2522_zpsfv58nuvs.jpg

Saw lots of gar as well but they didn't seem to be too interested in rubber frogs.

I think I'm going to start a thread on slop frogs and their lack of durability.

What frog are you using? I've thrown the Snag Proof Bleedin' Frog for 6 or 7 summers now and they are very durable. The paint on the back will start to crack up after 6 or 7 good fish, hooks will dull a little but I keep a sharpener in my pocket. Every fish I give the frog a quick 5 second sharpen to keep things "sticky".

Very curious what frog your throwing, never had a problem with the skirt strains falling out either. Might need to pull them a 1/2" to one side or the other once in a while but never lost any.

What frog are you using? I've thrown the Snag Proof Bleedin' Frog for 6 or 7 summers now and they are very durable. The paint on the back will start to crack up after 6 or 7 good fish, hooks will dull a little but I keep a sharpener in my pocket. Every fish I give the frog a quick 5 second sharpen to keep things "sticky".

Very curious what frog your throwing, never had a problem with the skirt strains falling out either. Might need to pull them a 1/2" to one side or the other once in a while but never lost any.

All of them, at least the expensive ones. The rubber skirt type (spro and others) pulled right out after a few fish. I switched to the very lifelike rubber frogs (koppers, lunkerhunt and a 3rd that I forget). They were worse. The one lasted one fish that nipped at the legs and pulled both off. The others didn't last one day of fishing. I expect more for 10 plus bucks per lure.

This last trip I used a top toad. The main reason I bought it was because 2 came in the package and it was a quarter the price. It's not a lifelike but it lasted the whole day and still has both legs. My kids have rubber lizards that don't cost nearly what we pay for lures and they can't pull those legs off no matter how hard they try.