Anchor weight

adam lancia

I'm going to be taking my peddle boat out on a few lakes up near Haliburton and will want to use an anchor to hold on a spot once I find some fish. I'm around the 200 pound mark and will be fishing in lakes that don't have a ton of current (from what I can remember at least...) but can get a little unruly if I manage to be on the wind blown shore when a stuff breeze comes up. I have an anchor that I purchased with my kayak but I think it's either 1.5 or 3 pounds. Will that keep me fairly planned or should I look to get something heavier? Does water depth play a part? Some of the spots could end up being fairly deep. Is there anything else I need to be taking into account? Thanks in advance!

Yah the chain will help a lot. If you just want a temporary solution, fill a bleach jug with sand, then wet it. That or gravel (bit more tedious). Should hold a peddle boat well enough for a cheap anchor. Even better if you have some old concrete and an eyebolt kicking around. Just cut the top half off the bleach bottle and jam a long eyebolt with a washer and nut in the centre. They work real good and cheap like borscht.

One gallon pail filled with cement, weights approx 20 lbs. Drop that over the side with a rope twice as long as water depth and you're not going anywhere.

A lot of lodges use this; because they're fed up of buying new anchors.

Dan.

Thanks for the quick replies guys! I like the idea about the chain on the anchor, I'll be trying that for sure. I won't be wandering way out into any of the lakes but I'll have at least 50 feet of rope with me, likely 75 just to be on the safe side. In case the light anchor I have doesn't do the job, I have cement and a 5 gallon bucket at my disposal. Thanks!