Lake Manitou (Manitoulin Island) suggestions

huzzsaba

So on our way to Sault ste Marie at the end of this month, we will we stopping at Manitoulin resort on Lake Manitou. Looking to get into some Walleye or lake trout. I will rent a boat for a few hours while there. Looking for suggestions on how deep to fish and what type of bait to use. Suggestions on other types fish would also be appreciated. Looking to make some fish fry while there!

I have a 6.6 foot medium action rod with 15 lb braded line with 6 lb leader on it.

Thanks

Edited by huzzsaba

You picked a great resort huzzsba, I think you're going to enjoy your stay. :clapping:

The lightning has kept me off the lake tonight and I saw your post and knew I could help :)

If you are going to rent a boat and you pick a safe day to travel a bit, there is some spots close to Manitou Resort. I am not sure about the Walleye on the lake but Lake Manitou is stocked with Lake Trout and there is a good population of them doing just fine dining on Manitou Smelt.

As for how to find em...like most Laker sweet spots, there a several ledges that drop off into deeper water around the lake and they all pretty much support a Laker or two. Sometimes the fish will be up on the shallower side of the ledge, deeper or right on the drop more often than not.

I'm not sure how you are equipped with electronics, but if you won't have a sonar but you have a smartphone with GPS, I would recommend downloading the Navionics app to view where you are situated on the water, it can help pinpoint structure and has several useful features. You can certainly find these fish without electronics, but it shortens your searching time...A short run down the lake from the resort and you can see there is a nearby ledge shown on the web app pic below

lakers_manitou_southmouth_sandfield.jpg

I think you might like what you find if you have a sonar, if not, this is what it would likely look like down there...

IMG_0119.jpg

You can target these fish with the outfit you have, but the key is to be jigging vertically (use a trolling motor, anchor, or drift sock to help slow you down or keep you in place) You may want to up size your leader to 10lb and run a heavy vertical jigging lure like a jig head (1-1.5oz) with a white tube jig or swimbait. You can also try the Sebile Vibrado, or perhaps the #7 Rapala Rippin Rap or even a Jigging Rap. All baits will be heavy and allow you to keep your line as vertical as possible. Drop to bottom, and jig away...experiment with different things and even try slowly reeling in for 10 feet then pause and repeat...sometimes they will follow to the surface! Wait for the thump and set the hook! :Gonefishing:

If you have trolling gear to get down to that depth, any silvery flutter style spoons in the 4" size will be dynamite.

This is a typical Manitou Laker (bad pic!)

IMG_0123.jpg

Hope this helps!

Tony

There are also Rainbow in there - quite big. Funny story - we were out for Bass. Just getting setup, and my friend is getting the anchor ready - but of course his fishing rod is in the way - so he casts the line out and moves it (with whatever lure was on - he was going to set it up after). Puts the anchor down - and then notices his rod twitching, so of course Fish On!!!

But not really set - anyway up to the surface comes this Gorgeous Rainbow - I would say 10 pounds +++, and he is trying to baby it in. Hook pops out - but the fish is just at the side of the boat - he goes to grab it (I thought he was going to jump in after it) misses - and it calmly disappears.

I don't think we caught anything else the rest of the day.... :wallbash:

Huzzsaba , Tonyb nailed it, when growing up with most of my moms family still in Sudbury we made many trips to the lake when I lived in Ontario, rarely disappointed, great lake to fish on, beautiful area , and if u have a chance talk to the manager at the airport, Gore Bay, if u take him a coffee he may just may let u use the farm lane to get down to the water, just make sure u close the gate behind u so the cows dont get out, but ask first, there have been known to be the odd big bass there if your patient, BUT go for the trout first B)

Thanks for the very helpful tips! I am so pumped and can't wait to get there. just 2 more weeks.

Good to know there are both lakers and rainbows in there. Bass is good too.So basically the trout will be hanging out at the 60-80 foot depth? that was what I was thinking.

I think i will try my luck with my 6lb leader. I fish mainly from shore so I don't have a sonar or a fish-finder but definitely will look into downloading the app that tonyb mentioned.

irishfiled, I will definitely tell her you sent us! Mrblizzard, I will keep that in mind!

Fished there last year in late Aug. It was a week of getting skunked. Its a deep lake in parts and hard to get into anything if you don't have much experience with the lake (like me). I'd recommend going out with someone who knows.

If you venture out to Lake Manitou's Southern End (Sandfield) it's a super easy walk into some prime laker water. A sled gets you out into the better areas faster and easier but you can walk out literally 100m and start fishing lakers.

got this post from another forum, Can someone confirm this since there is a chance I may try shore fishing instead of renting a boat.

I would also appreciate shore fishing advice for nearby lakes like Sucker Lake and Lake Mindemoya or other lakes that are easy to fish.

Thanks

Edited by huzzsaba

If you do rent you'd be stupid to only get it for a few hours as it will cost you more. I don't know anywhere else where you can rent a boat for the full day with a 15 horse for $95 (and it includes a tank of gas!)... and I keep telling her she's dumb for being so cheap.

16' Aluminum with ... 15 Horse Daily (8 hours)* $95.00 Weekly (7 days)* $350.00 Half-day (4 hours)* $75.00 Hourly (minimum 2 hours)* $35.00 *Includes 1 tank of fuel Edited by irishfield

They are talking about ICE FISHING... and "walking out" on said ice.

lol i feel stupid now for not having read that clearly.

So I called her and she said she would only issue a temp boat license if I had some experience with a boat which I dont. However I am sure its not rocket science . Do I start watching youtube videos of how to drive a boat? Lol.

other option is to go on a fishing charter . Found a guy for a decent price Luke Wassegijig. I might give that a try since he said its been a good year and the salmon fishing is starting to heat up!

Well I have nothing to do with how she runs her park, but I fully understand the fear of someone wrecking a motor and the then loss of ability to rent it back out. As long as you can learn enough on how to start a motor and know that to go right you push the motor left you maybe fine! ;)

A charter is also a great way to learn the ins and outs of a specific type / style of fishing.

You picked a great resort huzzsba, I think you're going to enjoy your stay. :clapping:

The lightning has kept me off the lake tonight and I saw your post and knew I could help :)

If you are going to rent a boat and you pick a safe day to travel a bit, there is some spots close to Manitou Resort. I am not sure about the Walleye on the lake but Lake Manitou is stocked with Lake Trout and there is a good population of them doing just fine dining on Manitou Smelt.

As for how to find em...like most Laker sweet spots, there a several ledges that drop off into deeper water around the lake and they all pretty much support a Laker or two. Sometimes the fish will be up on the shallower side of the ledge, deeper or right on the drop more often than not.

I'm not sure how you are equipped with electronics, but if you won't have a sonar but you have a smartphone with GPS, I would recommend downloading the Navionics app to view where you are situated on the water, it can help pinpoint structure and has several useful features. You can certainly find these fish without electronics, but it shortens your searching time...A short run down the lake from the resort and you can see there is a nearby ledge shown on the web app pic below

lakers_manitou_southmouth_sandfield.jpg

I think you might like what you find if you have a sonar, if not, this is what it would likely look like down there...

IMG_0119.jpg

You can target these fish with the outfit you have, but the key is to be jigging vertically (use a trolling motor, anchor, or drift sock to help slow you down or keep you in place) You may want to up size your leader to 10lb and run a heavy vertical jigging lure like a jig head (1-1.5oz) with a white tube jig or swimbait. You can also try the Sebile Vibrado, or perhaps the #7 Rapala Rippin Rap or even a Jigging Rap. All baits will be heavy and allow you to keep your line as vertical as possible. Drop to bottom, and jig away...experiment with different things and even try slowly reeling in for 10 feet then pause and repeat...sometimes they will follow to the surface! Wait for the thump and set the hook! :Gonefishing:

If you have trolling gear to get down to that depth, any silvery flutter style spoons in the 4" size will be dynamite.

This is a typical Manitou Laker (bad pic!)

IMG_0123.jpg

Hope this helps!

Tony

Awesome reply! I love seeing stuff like this - good job Tony!

Huzzsaba, PM me your name and arrival date and I'll see if I can pull some strings on getting my brother in law off his ass to show you how to run a boat.

No promises with it being a very busy resort, but I'll see what I can do . You probably weren't even talking to my s-in-law, probably her employee in the store.

Huzzsaba, PM me your name and arrival date and I'll see if I can pull some strings on getting my brother in law off his ass to show you how to run a boat.

No promises with it being a very busy resort, but I'll see what I can do . You probably weren't even talking to my s-in-law, probably her employee in the store.

Probably was an employee. I will send you a PM.

Thanks