Kayak Help

Hello All,

My son is looking at buying a kayak for fishing. The attraction is the simplicity and being able to strap it to the roof of the car and go. From what I see online, the sit-on models seem to be the most popular for fishing. Many are decked out with graphs, rod holders and storage bags. I'd like to hear opinions from anyone that has owned or tried the different styles as well as find out what the must have features are.

Interested in..

length

pricing

brand

features

anything else that you learned along the way

Thanks.

Dave

Where - what kind of water - will he be using it? Going out for salmon on Lake O is a very different thing than fishing small lakes for bass.

I fish most of the time out of a Wilderness Systems Commander: a "hybrid" fishing yak, almost like a plastic canoe. The upside is that I can stand and fish, which has all kinds of advantages over sitting (flyfishing, pitching, chucking heavy musky lures). The downside is that it is not a good open-water boat. For that, I use a SOT (sit on top). SOTs are great in heavier water because they are self-bailing. They are also very comfortable, since you can alter your position on the boat, and have lots of room for rigging. Some of the new SOTs are good for standing as well. Downside to SOTs are the weight.

The best of both worlds is the Wilderness Systems ATAK: it offers the ability to stand, with the speed and seaworthiness of a SOT.

Traditional yaks (SIKs) can be used for fishing, but are not near as popular. The upside is extreme seaworthiness (if you know what you are doing) and lighter weight. Downside is the limited seating position and difficulty in rigging for fishing.

I always recommend paddling before buying, to get a sense of how different boats feel/paddle.

Edited by singingdog

I have the nucanoe 12 foot frontier and it's the best. I have fished Rice lake to Simcoe, the Toronto islands and every little lake from here to Muskoka. I can load if myself on my car, it easily sits 2 people and I have had me and my 250 pound buddy both sitting on the same edge without it tipping.

I added a few captains chairs and a 30lb thrust Ming Kota trolling motor for luxury and I wouldn't trade it now for any boat out there.

I also have a nucanoe frontier 12. It's not a lightweight, but extremely stable. I mainly duck hunt out of it, and can carry a bunch of decoys, a battery and 50lb thrust trolling motor, gun and gear. I then use it as a layout boat. It works well for fishing also, but I don't use it nearly as much due to my boat. There pretty cool rigs.

I use a sit on top Pelican kayak ($450 at Sail) and a no name float tube.

I use the tube on smaller bodies of water. Super comfortable with hands free steering and propulsion. Drawbacks include slow to move in the water and you run the risk of a puncture.

Kayak is stable, fast on the water and tracks well. Fun to troll. You need to manage your position on the water with an anchor or by paddling to adjust/maintain position. Best transported with a roof rack as most handles on bow and stern are not suitable for tie down.

I prefer the tube b/c I can throw it in the trunk and pump it up in a few minutes. Got it on Kijiji for 80 bucks with fins...

This is all great information and thank you very much. Due to his budget restraints, I have suggested he look for a used one as opposed to buying a cheaper one brand new. By time he adds on a paddle(surprising expensive), rod holders, el cheapo electronics, etc. the price will be right up there with the price of a better boat in used condition. The models suggestions that were made will help tremendously.

there are a TON of used kayak's for sale....every tackle shop has posting of them as well as kijiji.

SO MANY folks jumped on the bandwagon and bought them, then realized they truly are not fun to fish out of.....

now many of them are up for sale....

one quick look at kijiji typing "fishing kayak" returns 20 plus results....

i'd never consider buying one new ... unless I was hardcore and knew exactly what I wanted (and knew that I actually liked fishing out of a kayak).

I've been fishing out of a 13.5ft Sit-on-top (Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler) since 2010, including 3 months in Florida each winter. I got into kayak fishing after I retired at age 60, and I wish there had been SOTs 20 years ago. (I also have one of those expensive fishing boats.)

I've had a blast fishing from my yak, in small lakes, large lakes (Lake Huron, Lake Simcoe, etc), & both oceans on the east & west coasts of Florida & in the Florida Keys, catching a huge variety of species, including a 5ft shark. You get to fish in places that most guys never see, or in areas where even skinny-water boats can't go, and the fishing is always very up-close and personal, which is the biggest rush..

My advice is to buy the highest quality, most stable kayak you can, (nothing wrong with buying used quality) and one that you can load by yourself, so try it out first, for paddling and loading. Also buy the best seat and lightest, strongest paddle you can, and a rudder system - when you are faced with a long paddle against or across a stiff breeze you will know why those 3 things are important. Add an anchor trolly, which lets you anchor from the bow or stern. If you are new to kayaking, a re-boarding device might be also a good idea, although the only time I used mine was to test it in the first week - now its just a security blanket.

Don't listen to the naysayers - kayak fishing is comparatively cheap, great fun and good exercise.

Definitely fun.....

See if you can find a used Hobie with mirage drive.... I use a 13 foot Hobie revolution. I'm 6"3, 200 pounds and can fish for days comfortably. Expensive yes but money well spent in my opionion