I knew the risks.....

Gerritt

Jeez Gerritt, that totally sucks. Be strong bud. My best friend's husband had a stroke a few years back. He's about your age and he's fine now. He had a few hurdles from then to now with his eyes and left side, but has fully recovered. I'm sure you will too. Now rest and take care of yourself. Quit smoking and take it easy for awhile. Please update us on your progress bud. We're here for you!

that you're able to bang out this post is a good sign and hopefully a little bit of medical tlc and you'll be discharged soon. fingers crossed when they wire you up to the ecg machine and all shows ok :)

now if only we could do something about all the deep fried shore lunches that are part of the fishing tradition. sorry, it's been something on mind for some time and concerns me when I think about it. don't get me wrong, I'll inhale bacon like there's no tomorrow but maybe only once or twice a month if that, but I'd like to see some healthy food options for shore lunches.

apologies for the preachy tone and I hope everyone understands the well meaning behind it ;)

Yikes. That's scary. I think your around my age. I also smoke....I don't drink hardly at all, but I eat whatever the hell I want. I'm in good shape, but you just never know.

Keep your chin up bud, you'll be fine in no time! Keep us posted! I still have that open seat in my boat for ya anytime man! I'm on the water a few days a week, just pick a day and we can get 'er done!

S.

You're typing a post. Like others have said, "that's good"!

When you get home take it real easy. 6 months to a year to fully recover. Had an M.I. at 40. Was told to "ditch the smokes or see you back on the slab in a month's time." It will make a huge difference as you recover. A neighbour my age had the stroke and was given the same advice. He didn't take heed and was gone 5 months later.

Thanks guys. My left side is unaffected. It is my right side that is causing me some issues. I couldn't believe how quickly it all happened... One minute I was walking the next my right leg was drGging behind me

There are different types strokes and hopefully it was a TIA vs any of the other nasty ones. and whatever the doc says is probably golden so rest up, get better and you'll be back on the water before the hard water season begins. And you have everyone's support and encouragement if you need to adopt a lifestyle change. I'm sure many of us have had to give up some of our vices and fav foods but it can be done.

Well I guess that takes you off the list of prospective, quick buyers for my motorhome this month... that needs a carpenters touch right now. :jerry:

What did you go and do that for Gerritt? :dunno:

Hang in there and listen to what they're telling you. I know that might be hard for you to do, but do it anyway okay! We need you back up and at'm soon!

Like Terry said, the best part is you made it to the hospital quickly and the fact you're online would suggest they got you in time! :good:

Edited by irishfield

Smoking, drinking not the beSt of diets.... And now here I am holed up at Belleville general in their acute stroke ward

Seems I'm not as invinable as I thought!

Although none are ever too young for health problems like this, you're kinda too young ya know!?! Sorry to hear this Gerritt.

You are as of stroke onset or shortly thereafter at your worst point. You WILL greatly improve from this time forward, you WILL get strong and heal, and you WILL learn from this. The fish God's are going to reward that BIG TIME when you're ready. But for now, rest easy, listen to advice and take your medicine.

Get well dood!

Man not good. I have bad habits too and am playing Russian Roulette with my life. No where near as bad as I was 17 years ago when I was told I have Type 2 Diabetes and have improved 90% as far as lifestyle but 10% bad can kill you I'm told. I know we are what we eat and drink. I do the best I can but am weak sometimes. Easy to say "change your lifestyle", much harder to do. Try is all I can say. Get better, many fish out there with your name on them. I had a close Uncle that wouldn't listen. I told him it was up to him if he wanted to see his Grand kids get married. He died watching Monday Night Football with a bowl of Buffalo Wing bones and a MT bottle on the table in front of him. He made his choice.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Holi . . . (bad word) Gerrit I've made your ribs a few times and I'm ok. Alright there is one thing, smoking is NOT a good thing, gave it up 38 years ago. You never know when something/what will get us :(

Come out of this brand new soon.

All the best Gerritt...my old mum had a stroke at an early age (30's) and walked with a cane for the rest of her life now I use the same cane to get around...the cardiologist sez I had a minor stroke about three years ago and outfitted me with a pacemaker...

Early next month I go in for an electro cardio version to kick start my old ticker back to regular beating...

Marvelous what they can do nowadays...

Cheers!

Edited by Beans

It's a warning not a sentence. That's what my neighbour says. He had a stroke 17 years ago and made ALL the life style changes that he had too. At 68 he still walks a good 45 minutes every day (even at -30C). I know I go with him. His wife says we're nuts, but healthy nuts.

All the best Gerrit. This is only the start of a new beginning. Lots of fish to catch yet.

Oh man G I only have a few years on you too so I'm shocked! I hope for the best for you man! If needed I'll get that 'air horn' and get you back for last time too if that's what it takes to keep you around. ;)