Jump to content

Workin' Down @ The Lake


DRIFTER_016

Recommended Posts

Dave, this just gets awesomer and awesomer...................😉

Hope you get a bit of time to soak a lure for the lakers.  With the fall coming on full force, they must be on the feed bag big time!

Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Dave, this just gets awesomer and awesomer...................😉

Hope you get a bit of time to soak a lure for the lakers.  With the fall coming on full force, they must be on the feed bag big time!

Doug

Doug 

I wanted to get out this afternoon but couldn't be bothered to buck the waves so just went home. Hopefully I'll get a day or two before ice up. Lake was 48 degrees today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

. Lake was 48 degrees today.

Pretty soon you'll see the lake turn over?  Like I said, I hope you get a chance to soak some lures for the greys!

Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forgot to mention that this year has been brutal for bears up here.

There have been 3 shot in town, a momma with twins relocated and a momma with cub they are trying to catch.

There was a momma with cub wrecking peoples stuff on my lake and a 2 year old causing havoc and breaking into cabins. He tried to break into mine 3 times while I was sleeping in it!!! The first two I didn't have my gun and the third I blasted a warning shot over his head as he ran away. He got into my neighbours cabin 2 doors down and trashed it, don't know if he got into Dave's cabin beside me or not.

Got to buy a tag so I can thin the herd.  I could use a nice bear rug anyway. 😁

The one that was trying to get into my place I would have dropped if I had a shot then just called ENR to come and collect it. I talked to them previously and they said do what you have to and give us a call for removal. My neighbour across the bay from me is a wildlife officer too. He had issues with the same bear and the momma with cub.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They have always been around but this is the first time they have been a pain.

Other than one time years ago when one ripped open my tent had a look around and left while I was away on business. 

The 870 is loaded with Remington slugs.

I forgot to load it when I went to the cabin on my vacation so when I cam into town for supplies I picked it up.

At some point the darn thing scratched my dining room window on the porch.

Their paws must be like 40 grit sandpaper!! Would hate to get swatted by one.

The second time he showed up I banged on the door and he just walked over and stood on his hind legs. We were about 12 inches apart separated by the entry door. He beat feet when I banged on a pot with my BBQ tongs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

They have always been around but this is the first time they have been a pain.

Other than one time years ago when one ripped open my tent had a look around and left while I was away on business. 

The 870 is loaded with Remington slugs.

I forgot to load it when I went to the cabin on my vacation so when I cam into town for supplies I picked it up.

At some point the darn thing scratched my dining room window on the porch.

Their paws must be like 40 grit sandpaper!! Would hate to get swatted by one.

The second time he showed up I banged on the door and he just walked over and stood on his hind legs. We were about 12 inches apart separated by the entry door. He beat feet when I banged on a pot with my BBQ tongs. 

Yep, good skookum medicine, 12 gauge slugs.  I always figured my first round would be double aught buck for a shot to the head, hoping to take out the eyes and maybe get lucky with a brain hit, then 2 slugs to the boiler room.  When we camped out on Great Slave East Arm a few years back, the 870 Marine Magnum was beside us in the tent............

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spent the Thanksgiving weekend at the cabin and was the only person at my end of the lake all weekend. It was so nice and quiet. 😁

Spent my time peeling logs that I cut in the spring. Started running low on time so only quick stripped a bunch of them. The big one was peeled in the spring. It's got really cool spiral checking now.

245228014_7031522876873991_6324158000924

Also pulled the dock out on Monday and closed up the cabin until safe ice.

This morning there was snow on the ground.

Edited by DRIFTER_016
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, BillM said:

Dave, that place is just unreal.  I love these updates!   You getting Starlink up there for internet?   

Put my $$$$ down in the spring. Just waiting for 2022.

Gotta see if I can get a couple of extra antenna wire kits so I can move the system around.

Would like to use it at the cabin, house and camper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forgot to mention I went for a swim while pulling the dock. 

Of course it happened early in the job so I had to work wet for an hour or so in air temps just above freezing.  🙄

The granite is as slick as goose turds.

Luckily the water is still a balmy 44F. 😎

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dave the thing I’m most shocked about is that after following this thread along is that there is actually an open water season 😂

 

yet here we are talking about ice up

out of all of the cottage jobs, dock work is my most hated bar none. It always needs to be done when it’s cold as hell. There’s not a heck of a lot of august dock work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/12/2021 at 8:16 PM, DRIFTER_016 said:

Spent the Thanksgiving weekend at the cabin and was the only person at my end of the lake all weekend. It was so nice and quiet. 😁

Spent my time peeling logs that I cut in the spring. Started running low on time so only quick stripped a bunch of them. The big one was peeled in the spring. It's got really cool spiral checking now.

245228014_7031522876873991_6324158000924

Also pulled the dock out on Monday and closed up the cabin until safe ice.

This morning there was snow on the ground.

That spiral one is pretty nice. Musta been a job getting it up the steps and into the cabin🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/12/2021 at 11:44 PM, DRIFTER_016 said:

Put my $$$$ down in the spring. Just waiting for 2022.

Gotta see if I can get a couple of extra antenna wire kits so I can move the system around.

Would like to use it at the cabin, house and camper.

If you're all within the same cell you might be able to move it around.  Camper might be tough if you're in Alaska, but I'm sure that feature is coming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see those spiral logs often when I'm in the Greenstone area. There are different theories of why they grow that way but log cabin builders seem to favour the right hand spiral.. they must be a whine to split for firewood..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pics said:

I see those spiral logs often when I'm in the Greenstone area. There are different theories of why they grow that way but log cabin builders seem to favour the right hand spiral.. they must be a whine to split for firewood..

It is usually White Cedar poles that have that spiral growth pattern

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...