Workin' Down @ The Lake

All my new lighting is 12 volts and is running off one 9AH gel battery at the moment that I haven't even recharged since last year. These LEDs use very little power. The 6 in the loft only draw 2.5 amps when running. I only use these lights when necessary at this point until I get the solar panel up. Main lighting is 110 volt LEDs. 

I have a bank of 4 batteries and 100 watt solar panel that will do the trick until I put in the big solar setup that will power the whole cabin. All 110 volt AC power is supplied by a 2KW Yamaha inverter generator.

I have a 4KW generator for running my larger tools like rotary hammers and air compressors.

Thanks Dave.  I went a similar route for my hunt camp, except no 12 volt lights.  I am not smart enough to have both 12 and 110 volt systems side by each.  I have a big solar array through a charge controller to two massive 6 volt batteries, then out through an inverter to run the camp.  When the solar has been drawn down, I have a small inverter genny to run lights etc, and a big one for power tools.

I surely do enjoy being in the camp at night, with lights on and NOT listening to a generator!!!  But in November and December, and a few guys with CPAP machines, the solar can't keep up, so we do run the small genny, with a LONG extension cord!

On 7/17/2020 at 6:10 PM, HTHM said:

And back to the topic at hand, that insulation looks great!

And back again to the topic a tad more important but I hear you Albert.

I would like to post here how lucky our man up north is to get away from this pandemic alive. A vibrant and beyond physically fit young man just turned 40 lost his battle to Covid-19. Nick Cordiero, a Broadway Superstar born and raised in Hamilton Ontario. Something you don't hear everyday, Broadway Superstar from Hamilton Ontario. The battle he lost was an epic one. Heart wrenching is all I can say. Please read a quick report about Nick Cordiero below. 

Now lets get back to that insulation. 

https://www.chch.com/hamilton-born-actor-nick-cordero-has-died-due-to-covid19/

45 minutes ago, Toronto_Angler said:

It may be more important but this topic is about Drifter awesome cabin build. Plenty of other topics to depress and scare people with covid news

Had Dave not engaged and continued to engage in a conversation concerning his experience with the pandemic and since it is a thread he started I most likely would not have continued discussing it. I hope I didn't frighten or depress you. I post here less and less as of late and need not wonder why. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

The water is insanely high at the cabin this year.  😱

Top pic is what the water is usually like on the lake. Bottom pic is this year.

116674906_4842725152420452_3130782591139

Top and middle pics are the rock shore I pull my main dock section on. Third pic is the rock under the water somewhere.

116835708_4842726165753684_7935758072657

Water's still chilly this year due to crappy weather but temps are usually in the low 70's by now.

This year it's 67 and change right now.

The kids across the lake have been tubing since the lake opened up!!!

Nothing like getting sprayed by 50 degree water!!!  😂 

6 minutes ago, BillM said:

Dave, how far are you from the East Arm with all the good laker fishing?

Different lake, as I recall.

And the East arm of Great Slave has AWESOME lake trout fishing, I was there a number of years ago.  My biggest was 32 pounds, but my one buddy's big fish for the trip was 42 pounds, a real HOG.  The guy holding that fish has a 54 inch chest............

Doug

GSL 2014 (my camera) 018.JPG

2 hours ago, BillM said:

Dave, how far are you from the East Arm with all the good laker fishing?

Shag, yeah different lake but Yellowknife is on GSL.

Easy to get to but the real good fishing is a ways down the lake.

50 miles to the turn.

75 mile boat ride to where I go and camp.

Red line is my route.

YK_Fracois.jpg.bcaed7251b399df482dc65e4351a7c4e.jpg

Edited by DRIFTER_016

4 hours ago, BillM said:

That's one hell of a run.  

It's not too bad actually.

Takes about 3 hours or so. Plenty of time to get there, set up camp and get fishing before dinner.

I've found it hard to bring everything I need for a good long trip though. 8 days is my longest so far.

Might have to leave the generator and espresso machine at home next time. ;)

Anytime you want to fly up and go camping for a week or so let me know Bill. :D