Frabil storm suit leaking

Has anybody had issues with a frabill fxe storm suit leaking before? I thought I heard there was something you could spray on it the keep it waterproof but I can't find anything about it. I paid over $400 for it four years ago, shouldn't have to replace something that quickly, otherwise I'd buy a cheaper suit that every year or two until they rip.

Wore it today in heavy rain, I was soaked by my shoulders, under my arms and even the hood was leaking.

Wow, I wouldn't be happy. Have you washed/laundered it? Sometimes that takes the protective coating off. I would call Frabill. Sometimes if you whine a bit (and at $400 you're entitled) they send you a replacement...

I have the F2 suit, picked it up for about $250 at Le baron and although I don't wear it much, I hope it holds up when I need it.

Check out nikwax. It will restore most of the waterproofing characteristics of most products.

This should not have to be done on a $400 rain suit.

I agree with the others. Call them and see what they can do for you.

$400 suit or not.... after 4 years of use you will probably have to renew the dwr.

Gore-Tex material functions in two ways, the layer of dwr repels water on the outside of the garment, while the breathable membrane lets moisture vapour out (sweat) and also keeps liquid water out.

Once the garment gets soiled or used enough, the dwr is compromised and the fabric wets out. This will not allow the breathable functions of the membrane to work properly and sweat will build up inside and you will get wet.

Check out the Nikwax products as previously mentioned.... specifically the Tech Wash and the TX Direct Wash In (used in that order).

Burt :)

Brian,

As stated below your post by multiple members, it doesn't matter how much a product costs. If you do not take care of it (not saying the OP isn't), it isn't going to hold up. From what I have read, The FXE suit is not Gore-tex but has a latex coating on it for water repellency. Once that coating wears off, it needs to be renewed. I have a BPS 100MPH suit and will be using this stuff at the end of the season to renew it. Why? I want to ensure it lasts a long time.

The main difference between these two types of suites is it sounds like the FXE only has the outer water layer protections where as a Gore-Tex rain suit will have a DWR on the exterior and a Gore-Tex Membrane underneath for breathability and added water protection. If I were to not use a product to renew the DWR, The Gore-Tex membrane should in theory keep me dry but the water will soak through the outmost layer.

To the OP, do some research before doing anything. Nikwax is what I have had recommended to me but maybe contact the company first and see what they say. To me, your only problem is you need to refresh the repellency but they may have a different view. Unless you are using one of the rubber suites, refreshing the DWR is needed on any of the higher dollar suits.

I have the same storm suit. Just another example of hype imo. Get some big name to push it and watch it sell,sell,sell ! Mine also didn't stand up to a heavy rain a couple years back. I haven't used Nikwax yet, but apparently that will help.

Thanks for all of the replies, I thought maybe there was something that needed to be applied to it to keep me dry. I'll contact Frabil and see what they recommend.

Turns out I bought it in 2012 so it's just three years old. I first noticed getting wet under my arm, I figured from where I hold my musky rod when ripping minnow baits but Saturday it just wasn't holding up well at all, minus the pants.

I appreciate the info. Good to know it could be just a simple fix.

Brian,

As stated below your post by multiple members, it doesn't matter how much a product costs. If you do not take care of it (not saying the OP isn't), it isn't going to hold up. From what I have read, The FXE suit is not Gore-tex but has a latex coating on it for water repellency. Once that coating wears off, it needs to be renewed. I have a BPS 100MPH suit and will be using this stuff at the end of the season to renew it. Why? I want to ensure it lasts a long time.

The main difference between these two types of suites is it sounds like the FXE only has the outer water layer protections where as a Gore-Tex rain suit will have a DWR on the exterior and a Gore-Tex Membrane underneath for breathability and added water protection. If I were to not use a product to renew the DWR, The Gore-Tex membrane should in theory keep me dry but the water will soak through the outmost layer.

To the OP, do some research before doing anything. Nikwax is what I have had recommended to me but maybe contact the company first and see what they say. To me, your only problem is you need to refresh the repellency but they may have a different view. Unless you are using one of the rubber suites, refreshing the DWR is needed on any of the higher dollar suits.

Thanks for the reply. I wouldnt think it would need to be treated being as new as it is.. Thanks to Bill for where to buy, as my wading jacket is in need of a good sealing. It,s much older then the ops. Hope it works.

Edited by Brian B