Perch form shore lake erie

10point

Looks like I'm coming to the London area for a few days July 15th - 19th. Any chance the perch will be in shallow on lake erie and be able to be caught from shore? If so, where would you suggest I try not to far from London?

There's always a bunch of people fishing off the Port Dover pier. There's also Wells bait shop on the corner of Hwy 24 & 6, that'll have minnows. Dover is about 1 1/4 hours from London.

Dan.

Since we're on the topic of Port Dover, any idea how the fishing is right off the coast? The in-laws have a cottage on Blue Water Parkway (just south of Selkirk). I have a 16ft boat that I could take out, but I wouldn't want to go too far.

Port Bruce or Port Stanley off the piers should get you into some perch. Minnows and spreaders are the ticket.

Both are less than an hour from London. Also, the beaches are pretty good for the family, just watch the under-tow on wavey days.

HH

+1 for Port Stanley and Port Bruce are much closer to London than Port Dover.... The catching was about a month late starting from shore this year. So it might still be going on in mid July. Like the last 3 yrs, though it is hit or miss, so don't get your hopes up. If you hit it right, it is a lot of fun.

Port Bruce or Port Stanley off the piers should get you into some perch. Minnows and spreaders are the ticket.

Both are less than an hour from London. Also, the beaches are pretty good for the family, just watch the under-tow on wavey days.

HH

What are spreaders? I have never fished for perch but have lots of crappie experience. Is high vis line ok? That's what I have on my crappie poles.

+1 for Port Stanley and Port Bruce are much closer to London than Port Dover.... The catching was about a month late starting from shore this year. So it might still be going on in mid July. Like the last 3 yrs, though it is hit or miss, so don't get your hopes up. If you hit it right, it is a lot of fun.

When you say it's hit or miss does it change daily or will I be able to get an idea if it's worth buying the license and going a day or two before?

What are spreaders? I have never fished for perch but have lots of crappie experience. Is high vis line ok? That's what I have on my crappie poles.

There are 2, 3 and 4 way spreaders that I've seen/used for ice fishing on a tip up. Image in the link http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=28756

I would also look at using a slip float and drop shot set up as well with at couple of small jigs stacked. I'd ad a clear leader to your high vis line. That's just my preference.

When you say it's hit or miss does it change daily or will I be able to get an idea if it's worth buying the license and going a day or two before?

Hit or miss means... Your buddy calls you at 5PM after he got home from slamming them all day. You get there the next morning at 3AM to get a spot. All the night crew tells you it was non stop from when they got there at 8PM until they saw your headlights in the parking lot.

You think they are kidding, fish for 10 hours and get 3 perch. You aren't on the road for 15 minutes when you get a text from someone who stayed and they are hitting 3 at time again...

It works the other way too, when the wind is the wrong direction, the water is chocolate milk, the waves are washing over the pier but you are getting doubles every cast. That is hit or miss at Port Bruce LOL.

Ports Stanley, Bruce and Burwell for the London area. Pickerel rigs or a simple drop shot set up. Basically a bell sinker with 2 or 3 hooks above, simple as that. Burwell they fish off the rocks the other 2 have nice piers and get them when they come through as in hit and miss. We fished Bruce today in the boat and they were getting minnows with dip nets right off the pier. When we came in we gave a kid all out leftover minnows that was at the marina buying them. He did much better than we did on the boat. He had a dozen we had zippo.

if you choose bruce go early and expect plenty of company.

Not if you do the afternoon shift... Get there after 4PM catch your minnows and fish until 11PM or so. Usually do just as well as in the morning. Without the stress of getting up to get there by 3AM so you aren't fishing in front of the cars, when the catching is really good.

Besides the night crew usually has more fun because we aren't sitting knees and elbows to the guy next to us.