Failing Deep Cycle....

I think this has been covered before and I think I know the answer....but here it goes.

I have/use 2 deep cycle batteries on my 18 foot Stratos yesterday both batteries showed fully charged but neither worked very well, you had to have the motor on 5 to get it move at all and then it was like it was on setting 2.

They are 8 and 5 years old and I was never one to charge after every use so I think they may be done.

Take them out, charge them, then let them sit idle for 24 hrs(no charger, nothing attached) and have them load tested. Batteries can show a full charge upwards of 13.2-13.5 volts but don't have the current to back it up. I had one truck battery this past winter that showed 12.8 volts, only 50 amp on a load test that should have been around 800.

Have you taken the prop off lately? :)

:lol: ....yes Roy I am not much of a fix-it guy but I do managed to take the prop off and pull the weed and line off and did get the prop back on properly from time to time...but trying to take the foot control apart and put it back together again scares me a bit..... :lol:

8 and 5 years old is a bit of a difference in the batteries age, and the number of times each has been cycled or charged, I try to keep my batteries the same age or within a year of each, as recommended by a battery guy, could be a dead cell in one of the batteries, with 24 volts, ive gone 8 years with each battery providing they are the same age, and they are maintained and charged after each trip with an onboard charger charging each battery at the same time with the same

If the batteries are being used at the same time either in series (for 24v) or in parallel (for 12volts) the 2 batteries should be as identical (year/ size) as possible. If they are used separately then it doesn't matter, but at 8 years old that battery is probably dead.

I wish I could get 8 years out of a battery!! Even 5 years would make me happy. I just fish too much for batteries to last that long, and yes, I charge them every time with a smart charger, and keep the water level where it should be.

I get 3 yrs out of mine and im doing good.

S.

easy way to check is put a meter on the battery then turn on the trolling motor see what the voltage drops to, the bad on will hit 10vts or less almost immediatly.

also if its a minn kota could be a armature/brush brush plate issue as well as a footpedal issue.

Those suggesting topping the battery and then charging, do NOT do that!

If they are dead and the acid level is above the plates charge from there and IF needed, when almost fully charged, then top to the rings with distilled water. If the level is below plate tops then just add enough water to get the level above the plates, not to the rings.

If you top it first the acid will expand and overfill the battery.

Edited by irishfield

I tried to run a 6 year old deep cycle with a new one, does not work. I was told the same thing about battery age differential as liverealease mentioned.

When Irishfeild speaks I listen. I think it's important to have worthy batteries a few thousand feet above the ground, even a few hundred feet for that matter.

Wow 5&8 yrs I'm like Shane if I get 4yrs from my batteries I'm doing well !!! Yes I maintain them have a smart charger as well but I use mine heavy with the trolling motor running it pretty much all summer long !!!! I have 2 29 series 12v marine deep cycle batteries run in parallel and they get put through the wringer for sure so I know it's just a fact if life that every 3-4 yrs I have to get new batteries !!!! But I'm never in a problem of battery failure so it's piece if mind too !!! And I usually always have 1 or 2 for spares if I am in a pinch !!!!

I am currently running a 5 year old battery that use to be my starting battery on my old boat (it's a dual purpose battery) and a 7 year old deep cycle battery for my 24 volt Minn Kota and it's working very well. I hope to get this year out of it and see what happens next season. Both batteries have ALWAYS been on charge whenever the boat is not in use via a on-board smart charger.

Do ecmilley's test on those batteries. Also run the TM with the charger hooked up to see if it's a battery problem or a TM problem.

From the start

Your battery's went dead.

Load tester on each battery and note the volts.

Now plug in your charger, with in a few minutes the volts should go up 2-3 volts. Your charger is working. Note your battery's need to be in a discharge state to check charger.

Fully charge your battery's and now check with load tester. If the needle goes to "bad" they are bad. Why doesn't matter.

If you were testing your starting battery. You would start motor and the volts would go up. If they don't alternator, Stanner .

As stated mixing different ages of battery's makes them operate at the weakest battery level.

If your battery's are lasting 8 years you need to fish more. When I was going hard 18 months max put was using my battery's 5-7 days a week.