Purchasing First Boat

What you do will depend on your financial circumstances. I think if you could pay cash for a used one that might be the way to go. That way if you grow out of the boat in a few years you're not tied to a monthly payment. I bought a used boat off kijiji this spring after toying with new.

For your very first boat, a basic used tinner with a small outboard is a good idea. Add fish finder trolling motor etc down the road as budget allows. Use it for a year or two and decide if you want a bigger boat or maybe a better small rig. Or maybe you'll be satisfied and can invest some time and money to fine tune your rig so it's perfect for you. It's amazing what you can do with a 14 or 16 foot aluminum boat with bench seats. Lots of potential at minimal cost. Take your time and really plan out any updates and you can have professional results.

Definitely used for your first boat. You don't want to be stuck paying for something you grew out of, like already mentioned. My first boat was a 14'er with a 9.9. It was old and ugly but I had a blast with it, you can take them almost anywhere and they are super easy to launch by yourself.

Good luck with your purchase and congrats on buying a boat! Your bank account will suffer but it's worth it.

Sounds like you aren't yet sure what you're looking to get out of your boat. I would suggest buying an old 14/9.9 rig on a trailer (dime a dozen on kijiji) and get a feel for what you like and don't like about it, and more importantly get familiar with the level of maintenance required to keep a rig in tip-top shape (likely more than you think if you e never owned one before).

The big things you need to know when looking at a used unit is seeing the motor run (ask about lower unit seals and impeller, gear oil etc), compression tester if you have one, age and condition of trailer bearings, tires, leaky rivets. You'll get a good idea from how the seller responds as to how well the boat was taken care of.

Im kinda on the other side of the fence.

If you can afford it, id buy brand new for a 14ft and 9.9.

Youll have zero issues. Take care of it, have fun. It still has its resale value. But once you learn what you want in a boat, you still have this one on the side for smaller lakes and getaways, or sell if you so choose.

A 14ft with a 9.9 doesnt run alot of money. And brand new you can run the thing for 30 years with proper care and maintenance. Thats a good investment.

But i do back the "no finance if possible".

If ya cant afford it save up. Save where you can. Frig cash in on recyclibles etc if ya can.

Or put 50 bucks a week in a jar. Youll have the cash in no time

Edited by manitoubass2

I pulled the trigger on my first boat last year. I bought a 16' side console with a 40hp. The whole package in new like condition was 5k and that turned into 6k in the blink of an eye when the trolling motor it came with, fried. The boat leaks a bit (which bugs me) but I didn't water test it although I did compression test and run the motor. (excellent motor) I otherwise could not be happier with my purchase. Anyway my point is, this boat was 3 grand more than the "nice" bare bones tinners i saw and Im glad I waited an extra season and got a little more boat. But there are many good used ones out there on kijiji etc. in the $1500 to $3000 range. Better to make your mistakes in a less expensive package and upgrade once you figure it all out. IMO... since you asked :) also if you would fell more comfortable get a used one from a dealer, you'll pay a little more but will get some support and a possible warranty too...

I would suggest no one finance a toy. My first boat was a 12 foot Sears cartop and a old 9.9. The second time on that boat I started looking for a 14 footer, then a 16 etc. 2 footitis is a common virus that is contagious amonst boaters. A 14 foot tinny is the way to go for a first time boat. Depending on your responsibilities the financing option may or may not be the way to go. If you have the responsibilities that come with life, like a family to feed forget about financing a toy. If single add 2 feet to your boat shopping every week and get yourself as large a boat you want. After you have bought a home of course.

Been busy working lately so thanks tons guys. I appreciate all the help, but looking for a boat this fall when I change cars. Looking to spend $5000+. May purchase it new cause I want something that will last. My dad bought his new over 20 years ago and we still use. Just had to change the motor once. I got a few more questions. What size trailer hitch should I have on my truck if I'm pulling a 14'? I'm thinking class two. What about when it comes time to pick it up do I have to have license plates ready to throw on it when I drive home? Do I need need to charge my battery? Trolling motor batteries need to be charged, but what about the one for the boat motor? When it comes to a truck should I have a 4X4? Thanks

Edited by LostAnotherOne

You can probably tow a 14' with a class I; but if you are going to get a truck you may as well get a class III. There isn't that much difference in price; and then you can tow pretty much anything. A class III hitch can also be used for bike racks.

If you are buying from a dealer, they should take care of the trailer plates for you. If you are buying privately then you will need to transfer the trailer ownership. Plates can be transfered, or you can get your own.

Four wheel drive is nice; especially in late fall when the ramps may be icey. But you shouldn't have any trouble with two wheel drive on most ramps.

If you are using your boat regularily, the main battery should not need to be recharged... except over the winter.

You can get a pretty decent boat for $5000 on the used market, for instance, my dad just bought himself a 1990 Searay cutty cabin with 4.3l merc 24ft with trailer for $4000. Just saw a 20ft SeaRay bowrider with 4.3L merc for $4600

If you have the cash on hand, do not finance, you'll end paying more in interest than anything else, plus, those monthly payments can be put towards gas, upgrades, fishing gear, so many possibilities

I find this surprising. No one has asked.

Where will you be fishing? Towing distance? Big water ? Little water ?

How many in the boat? For how long ?

What will you be fishing for? Shallow, deep ?

With a decent budget a 16ft may be in order.

Regards

I grew up on a 14 footer so that's what I'm comfortable with. Also that size would fit nicely in my garage. I fish year round from channel cats at Dunnville in the spring to muskies at Niagara in the fall. Shallow or deep don't matter. Just want something reliable that's I wont have issues with down the road cause taking the boat out once a week is the norm for me. I've been taking my dads boat out for a few years now so I like to think I know what I'm doing lol, but it's not the same as your own boat.

I find this surprising. No one has asked.

Where will you be fishing? Towing distance? Big water ? Little water ?

How many in the boat? For how long ?

What will you be fishing for? Shallow, deep ?

With a decent budget a 16ft may be in order.

Regards

Doesn't matter what size he buys it'll be too small in a year anyway. We all get footitis.

I'm surprised you take a 14 tinny into the Niagara. Upper or lower it doesn't matter. I know I won't take my 19 footer in that river.

You can get a lot of used boat for 5K. There's a 4Winns, out here 28 foot, 5.7lt Mercruiser, new tops and windows, new outdrive and Gymbal bearing, all new boots, new steering cable, new batteries X4, new hydraulic pump, new this and that. $4500.00. Great shape for a 89. Heck you would think I'm selling it, I'm not. You won't be towing this around. My point is for 5K there's a lot of boats out there slightly used.

there arent any places in ontario a 14-16' tinner can't handle if you're smart about the weather. my 14.5' / 40 hp combo has seen lake ontario, georgian bay and all puddles in between.

a 20+' glass goliath with a fuel sucking inboard is the last boat i'd recommend to someone looking for their 1st.

Edited by Raf