NAW

I bought my boy a little fun "Cars" fishing rod from crappy tire. I hate the stupid thing already. I want him to have a real fishing rod, and not a little kids one. BUT.. He is 2, and he likes to throw fishing rods in to the river.

Anyways.

I am going to my Mom's house for the weekend. And I was really pumped to take him fishing on the Maitland River in town, where I used to fish growing up. I was going to surprise him with his new fishing rod. And I was really hoping he would be able to catch a few rock bass from shore. Now for the Vent! It's been RAINING ALL DAY! The river is going to be blown to crap tomorrow.. We aren't going to be able to catch a single fish!!

BAAAAHHHHH

Vent over.

Thanks for listening.

Nobody else in life would understand my frustration right now. except you fine folks.

that freaking Sucks!!! I did the same with my little guys. They used their Diego rod twice. I upgraded them to an Ice fishing rod that they used till last year when i bought them an ultra light outfit. 2 years old eh? Great times are ahead of you. The pic in my avatar is when the boys were 5 and 3. They still remember that day like it was yesterday. Bring lots of snacks and take lots of breaks so the little man can enjoy the outdoors. Crap now i'm just as bummed as you are about the rain!!! Maybe take him somewhere shorefishing on simcoe?

PS... Lifejacket! Its a good habit for your son to have whenever they are close to water. Not that I am assuming you don't stress it but its a good reminder for everyone.

Are there any other smaller streams in the area. I remember one year, we went to fish the Big Otter and it was blown, so we travelled a few hours to Deer Creek and it was nearly gin clear.

So I was just thinking if there was another stream, or perhaps a Conservation Area lake that would be fishable, you could still salvage the day.

Goodluck!

It's pretty much the only fish-able water in the area that I know of.

It's in the town of Wingham. And it's right at the dam in town. So when it's blown..It's completely blown. White (brown) water rapids..

That being said, we are driving there from barrie, So I may be able to make some stops on the the way home sunday to some random spots and try our luck.

And normally, I don't have him wear a life vest when shore fishing. But this area has an aggressive rocky shore. So he will certainly be wearing a life vest!

tie the rod to your kid, thats what my dad did with us and now his grandkids. Small gauge rope, kids can toss all of the 30 dollar combos they want into the lake and you will never lose one.

Great idea,when I was small I was not allowed to lose one lol.Looking back 45 years or more,don't think I ever lost one.The "What may happen" if you lose it was something I knew first hand.My how times have changed,my two boys ,could never be that harsh.I think a lot of us know what I'm talking about?.

Having said that,looks like Nick you now have a couple other options. Love your reports with the little guy.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You would be welcome to bring him over to our place! He can catch hundreds of pan fish right off our dock no problem at all and dad might even catch a walleye/muskie/or bass.

We are just North of Lindsay about an hour an 20 minutes from Barrie and if it starts to rain you can even cast right from the boat house.

PM if you want the address, we'll even do a hotdog/burgers lunch and if a rod does happen to go in the lake, no problem I've got great grandkids and lots of experience getting rods out!

Thanks Freshtrax!

Nice and close too!

:clapping:

Somewhere I have picture of my daughters biggest bass - almost 4lbs,-- caught on a Dora the Explorer rod and worm when she was 4. "Daddy, I need help!.. That's OK squirt, you got it"

She was smiling for days.

Edited by spincast

Well I had a look last night when I got in to town. As soon as I got close I could here the water rushing through the dam... She looks like the diarea I had after my last trip to Cuba