perennial flower gardens (NF)

Raf

Can anyone point me to an active gardening forum where I could get some questions answered?

Here's our situation. We moved into our house 2 years ago and it came with a WELL established perennial garden. We are finding we both lack any kind of a green thumb and need to learn before we have to turn it to grass. Outside of hostas, tulips, poppies, we can't even begin to identify what it is we have in our garden, never mind care for it properly. I think ID'ing everything is step one!

I can start posting pics here but I am not sure the knowledge base we have on this topic. If there's anyone in the Orangeville/Grand Valley area who's willing to see it with their own eyes (we can do the work!!), I am sure there are several plants which need division in it for you.

Well I'm no expert, but I have been working on my perennial garden for the last 5 years. There are only so many popular perennials that grow in Ontario that are widely available. What ever is in your garden now is very hardy after the last 2 winters we've had.

If you post clear pics, I can do my best with identifying what you have.

As for caring for them, for starters, just weed the area around the plant well and and side dress with compost, then cover with biodegradable mulch, (Not rubber pellets). It helps if you know the difference between the weeds and the desirable plants but it should hopefully be obvious. LOL. A basic garden fertilizer can be applied if you think it really needs it but I find compost has most of what's needed.

Good idea about Gardening Club Klinker

It helps if you know the difference between the weeds and the desirable plants but it should hopefully be obvious. LOL

For the most part I think we do LOL maybe after I post the below that will change.

I'll post up a small sample of the stuff that's in the garden

1. >> Yellow Loosestrife ???
per1.jpg

2. >> Blue False Indigo
per2.jpg

3. >> Lupins
per3.jpg

THis stuff is very aggressive and I have to pull it otherwise it chokes out others, as is the clover like stuff in the top right (I yank that stuff wherever I see it):

4. >> Lungwort
per4.jpg

Stuff on the right also seems to spread easily

5. Aster or Dianthus + Lady's Mantle
per5.jpg

6. >> Hollyhock Mallow // cranesbill geranium??
per6.jpg

sorry for calling it 'stuff'. :)

Edited by Raf

1st pic - can't remember name

2nd - Blue False Indigo

3rd - Lupine

4th - Lungwort

5th - Lady's Mantle + Asters

6th - Hollyhock Mallow

Don't overthink it, gardening doesn't have to be complicated. Water, weed, mulch and maybe divide/remove plants when they they too big or aggressive. For the most part they take care of themselves.

Edited by Beavertail

1st pic - can't remember name

2nd - Blue False Indigo

3rd - Lupine

4th - Lungwort

5th - Lady's Mantle + Asters

6th - Hollyhock Mallow

Don't overthink it, gardening doesn't have to be complicated. Water, weed, mulch and maybe divide/remove plants when they they too big or aggressive. For the most part they take care of themselves.

1 Yellow Loosestrife

5 I think it's not an Aster, it's a Dianthus "Sweet Williams"

Edited by Bluegill

I am blown away by the knowledge and quick response. Thanks all, that's a great start. There is plenty more I will post that's currently blooming and if I recall when those are done others take their place.

Isn't #1 evening primrose? Spreads nicely. I think #5 is dianthus. I would have thought #6 is one of the hardy geraniums? Most of my info is based on root divisions given to me by others who have said "Here, do you want some of ....." and I take them at their word it is actually what they call it! \

Nice stuff you have there!

Along with the weeding , working in a bit of bone meal in the spring and a couple doses of miracle grow through the summer.

There are some good books on Perenials that help you identify what you have.

I built my garden from a bare lot and have about 40 plants now, plus the vegetables

Along with the weeding , working in a bit of bone meal in the spring and a couple doses of miracle grow through the summer.

There are some good books on Perenials that help you identify what you have.

I built my garden from a bare lot and have about 40 plants now, plus the vegetables

And yes, the pink/purple flowes in pic 5 is dianthus

LOL. It is kinda pretty, even I think so. Perennial of the Year in 2010 I found out LOL!! Put a block on this thread as I have more pics to post once it stops raining.

Edited by Raf