Brown or Atlantic

anders

I recently caught and released this gorgeous 27 inch fish. At first i thought it was a brown but more and more i am thinking its and atlantic.

it was caught in Lake Superior out in front of the Michipicoten.

image3_zpstg29jhzh.jpg

image21_zpsl7zf6tqp.jpg

image2_zps2ujzm4cb.jpg

image11_zpsrpghyhov.jpg

Edited by anders

Yep , pretty sure it is an Atlantic. It would have been better had you closed the mouth before the pic. I usually look at the back of the jaw in relation to the eye, much like bass, with the Brown being a largemouth and an Atlantic being a smallmouth.

Thanks for the id guys

Sault Michigan is below the locks at the St. Mary's River, which is why i was a litle baffled at this. the MIchipicoten is around 220 km north of the locks

Edited by anders

Atlantic. :)

Atlantic the x's on the body are a dear give away and Sault Michigan stocks a million of them.

That's not really a good indicator MoS as Great Lake Browns when in bright silver can also display X shaped spotting.

How was the fight? If it jumped, it's an Atlantic. If not, it's a Brown.

There, it's settled.

Exactly how I clued in to my first Atlantic over 20 years ago , flatlining inshore just east of here. They were even rarer back then.

How was the fight? If it jumped, it's an Atlantic. If not, it's a Brown.

There, it's settled.

hahaha thats what i thought...i always thought that the fight of an atlantic was 6 feet below and 6 feet above the surface. This thing bulldoged. I was just looking through my scott and crossman freshwater fishes of canada (which i should have done before), and its a brown

thanks everyone for the help

it turned out to be a brown?

man, I've caught many browns and a few 'tics and I still say it's tough as heck to tell them apart (at least until they get bigger).

those 3lbs to 6lbs fish, which seem to be most common, are tough to tell them apart.

nice fish - no matter what it was!