The Bear

esoxansteel

hahahaha BEAR PROTEST! Is it occupied by the same people who drive Hwy 60 and wait at the moose crossing signs?

Bear protest.... hehehe I'm going to enjoy mocking these people.

hahahaha BEAR PROTEST! Is it occupied by the same people who drive Hwy 60 and wait at the moose crossing signs?

Bear protest.... hehehe I'm going to enjoy mocking these people.

Probably many of the same crowd that protested the spring bear hunt years ago :wallbash:

bear with me on this. is it not true bears after there young adults pushed from there peers to find there own aarea to live. guess what no spring bear hunt. no bear management program,this is just the beginning ... management was a word used years back to moniter animals that were considered big game in Ontario.... I guess the goverments shifted there programs. were being managed.

Today on Global National.

In Newmarket Ontario a crowd assembled in the downtown core to gaze in wonder at the amazement of one ferocious black bear napping in an actual tree. Scared for their lives several bystanders called the Ministry of Natural Resources, all simultaneously receiving the same voice mail prompting them to call sometime back into the 1980's when they still did exist. Frustrated they Instagrammed and Facebook'ed selfies of themselves (duh) with the bear in the background and, later that day we learned the same black bear wasn't only in Newmarket at that time, but, it had been seen all across Canada. Most accurate source of info locating the furry carnivore reports that it was Ewout Blom of Holland that actually first sighted the bear. It was in fact eating a smaller bear somewhere around Turtle Lake before it wandered to Newmarket, climbed a tree, and entered into it's food coma after the meal. When Police arrived on scene, one clever constable thought that offering donuts to the bear might help coax it from the tree. Hoping it might feed on Boston Cremes and Honey Crullers, the meat would instantly sweeten before they could finally execute the bear. Meat would be given to the local Legion, all the old timers in Newmarket would be fed, the world would continue to turn. Unfortunately, the bear didn't want the donuts when it came down from the tree. Instead, spooked by all the bystanders, flashing lights and men with guns, it took off running towards a yellow car which it probably presumed was a honey bee on return to it's hive but was in fact a school bus. (if only Wynne had banned yellow cars a little sooner) Boarding the bus, kids screamed and cried as the bear entered into a frantic state, ripping limbs from Sally Jay, Tommy Chung and bus driver Moe. Escaping the emergency exit, last child out wisely closed the doors trapping the bear. Several hours later once the Military arrived, the bear was captured and transported to Newmarket Psychiatric Hospital. Charges will be laid against the bear, and there's rumor that Mother Nature may stand trial for it's role in the crimes committed today. Until that time, the bear is currently undergoing psychiatric evaluation, although pending that, it is expected the bear will plea not guilty to any charges. We will be following up as more news comes in.... Global National, the Moose.

Edited by Moosebunk

Today on Global National.

When Police arrived on scene, one clever constable thought that offering donuts to the bear might help coax it from the tree.

But all the donut did was attract more coppers :lol:

I live in a little town of 12,000 in western PA. We have bears up trees in peoples backyards almost every day. We have multiple bears over 600 lbs in the county. No one gets hurt, no bears get shot. People are overly concerned about black bears. When i'm in the woods I'm far more worried about tick related diseases and stumbling on a dope farm than i am a black bear.

People get in an uproar over the craziest things. Where is this passion when things are happening to human beings or the government keeps reaching into our pockets. I know it's a different situation but really.......if they didn't shoot it, then it attacked a kid, they would get heat for not killing it.

People set up a memorial and were crying.....

It's an emotional issue...neighbours doors blown down in Aurora this week busting the Italian -Connection--Ghana is on Fire-- Perspective-- agree-it was handled terribily--YRP did the right thing imo-MNR have not fielded nusiance bear calls in years GTA is my understanding--BearWise programme cancelled

Throwing the coppers under the bus was harsh-agreed

MNR John Almond is a good guy--don't envy his position here

Where was O.F.A.H. in all of this?

Maybe there is a role they can play here in the future

Bad situation all around

:dunno:

OFAH didn't really have any impact when the spring hunt was being cancelled, I doubt they have any pull with this type of situation.

Communities that are having bear problems should be investing in live bear traps, just like they would invest in lawn mowers, trucks, and the like.

I only brought it up to appease the huggers. That way they wouldn't have anything to cry about.

Maybe they could start up a donation box amongst themselves if they are so passionate about saving the bears.

Edited by jimmer

My argument was,this Bear was surrounded by the Calvary .He would not be given a chance to roam.Man hours and such figure into this,but the bear did not (IMO) probably not know how he got there.Didn't seem like he was given a fair chance IMO.I can see hunting,one against one.This fellow looked scared :asshat: less.What's done ,is done.To bad I say.,

I like Drifters comment about them not tranquilizing cause it takes too long for them to go nighty night, ive got some cookies that ill knock the big bruin on his ass in 5 minutes :whistling:

I don't think they'll work.....

I should test them first to be sure.....lol

?

Nothing has changed in the last three years I operate a Cottage Resort just north of Parry Sound and 3 years ago I had a black bear coming on the property every night and he would go up in a tree to have a sleep all the guest thought it was pretty cool but with a Resort full of kids running around I was not willing to take any chances so I called the MNR and explained to them the dilemma I was in they told me that they had no one that they could send out I just could not believe it about 45 minutes later the MNR call me back and tell me if I feel the Bear is a threat to myself or any of the guest I should call the OPP.

Nothing has changed in the last three years I operate a Cottage Resort just north of Parry Sound and 3 years ago I had a black bear coming on the property every night and he would go up in a tree to have a sleep all the guest thought it was pretty cool but with a Resort full of kids running around I was not willing to take any chances so I called the MNR and explained to them the dilemma I was in they told me that they had no one that they could send out I just could not believe it about 45 minutes later the MNR call me back and tell me if I feel the Bear is a threat to myself or any of the guest I should call the OPP.

If it's a threat to yourself or others your are within all rights to shoot it yourself .

Its best to prevent encounters with bears in the first place.

But if a bear continues to be a problem and youve exhausted all other alternatives as a property owner, you have the right to protect your personal property and yourself.

Any action you take must be:

carried out with the most humane means possible

done in a safe manner

in accordance with any applicable laws (e.g., discharging a firearm by-laws)

You do not need a hunting licence. But if you kill a black bear, you must report it immediately to your local Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry office.

If you want to keep the dead animal for personal use, you must register for whats called a Notice of Possession with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry.

It is strongly advised that killing a bear in self-defence be an action of last resort.

Edited by Freshtrax

we had a similar situation with a moose at our cottage 5 or 6 years ago. A young moose about 18 months old was trapped on a small island with about 20 cottages on it. There was a little causeway to get to the island that the moose came across but would not go back across even when we tried to scare it across. The MNR kept on saying it would go away but it never did until one day it fell asleep on a person deck and they were trapped in the cottage for the day. The next day the MNR finally showed up and we thought they would tranquilize it, we were wrong they just shot it dead

Every government since Bob Rae has cut the budget.. all 3 parties are guilty..

The Liberal govt is turning the whole province into a joke. All they want to do is pass laws restricting our freedom and expanding their unaccountability.

How does the Hydro one CEO still have his job

How come our insurance coverage is limited by law just because Kathleen promised to get insurance rates down

At least the cops will take care of a bear before a kid gets mauled

Now, when are the OPP going to arrest Kathleen for election fraud

Edited by pics

People keep mentioning a tranquilizer gun and the MNR, never really known a CO to have used one or even access to one. Maybe a research team funded by a University , but in the field , it's either a live trap or a gun depending on the immediacy of the situation. People been watching too many Animal Planet and Disney Documentaries. Might be bit of bad feeling within the MNR too, the cancellation of the spring bear was strictly a political move to appease certain groups never was based on science. The Ministry didn't create the problems we've had since the cancellation of the hunt with bears and they are darned if they are going to help, you made your bed you lie in it attitude.