Musky opener: what are you throwing?

singingdog

A Suick is indeed a jerkbait and not a glide bait. Hellhounds, Mantas, and Phantoms are glide baits. Glides tend to be neutrally buoyant and you work them side to side (walk the dog). A Suick or similar jerkbait tend to be more buoyant and you work them in a more chopping retrieve. They dive and then float up.

I'll mostly be throwing inlines of various descriptions, and maybe some jerkbaits, glides, and even a topwater or two.

Thinking glides might be the ticket with the post frontal conditions.... Gunna try the all faithful hellhounds...

I'll be trying my new manta 10... I haven't even seen its action yet...

And I got a really nice cowgirl to try out...

I ordered some reef hawgs but not in time for opener

Wont be the same Roaring Dan, who is going to net my first of the year, I have Keanu Reeves (AKA Mike) acting as the replacement.

In terms of baits I will be throwing something that is Purple, likely a custom made Anvil bait which is awesome.

For the first time in a few years I won't be heading out for the inland opener. Instead I'll be tossing around my 6 month old.

Greg, I would go with the Big Nasty, a Tranx and 100 lb powerpro to do this. You get maximum baby tossing distance that way.

Edited by Fisherpete

Pete,

First off, the Tranx only comes in righty, so there is not way in hell you will catch me casting with my wrong arm, as I am right handed.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure that tossing a baby for musky would be better in the fall, so I will wait until then.

Pete,

First off, the Tranx only comes in righty, so there is not way in hell you will catch me casting with my wrong arm, as I am right handed.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure that tossing a baby for musky would be better in the fall, so I will wait until then.

Hahhahahahaha

Well i went walleye fishing in Haliburton yesterday and I almost always 99% of the time catch a musky in this lake everytime I walleye fish it !!!! Well I not only got skunked on walleyes I got skunked on musky as well !!!! Brutal day on 2 species .... And the few musky guys we talked to caught nothing either !!!! Very slow painful day !!!!

I had a small guy follow on a home made in line spinner I call the skunk.A single large silver/copper blade with black Yak hair and a little white in the center with some flashabou mixed in.We switched over to walleye fishing after a couple hours and got 4 but two were in the slot.So at least we got a taste for the day.Dang wind sucked today.

Kerry

Seems I was wrong about going small. 3 of us landed 9 Musky over a day and a half of fishing, with several others lost right at boatside. Most were in the 25-30" range, with one just over 40". We weren't throwing huge lures, but much bigger than last year: #7 Mepps Marabou was my best for the weekend. Spent a fair bit of time throwing smaller inlines, topwaters, and cranks with no takers.

P6060735.jpg

The walleye were very shallow in one lake we fished: 4-6 FOW, and hitting in fairly bright sunlight....strange pattern.

Seems I was wrong about going small. 3 of us landed 9 Musky over a day and a half of fishing, with several others lost right at boatside. Most were in the 25-30" range, with one just over 40". We weren't throwing huge lures, but much bigger than last year: #7 Mepps Marabou was my best for the weekend. Spent a fair bit of time throwing smaller inlines, topwaters, and cranks with no takers.

P6060735.jpg

The walleye were very shallow in one lake we fished: 4-6 FOW, and hitting in fairly bright sunlight....strange pattern.

my brother was catching walleye off our dock in 6 FOW all weekend mid day...something was happening for sure,

Must be awesome to reel in a ski off a yak so cool. Great picture.

my brother was catching walleye off our dock in 6 FOW all weekend mid day...something was happening for sure,

Must be awesome to reel in a ski off a yak so cool. Great picture.

Yep, musky in a yak is a blast. In some ways, it is easier than from a bigger boat. You can fish lighter gear because the yak is so much lighter and doesn't stress equipment near as much as a larger boat. The ski in the pic hauled me around for about 10 minutes before getting tired enough to land. Landing/unhooking can sometimes be easier because you are so close to the water.