Barrie Tornado 30 years ago today

kickingfrog

Wow. Thirty years ago now.

I know there were a series of tornados across Ontario and the northern states but the one that went through the city I was living in, obviously, was the most significant to me. I was home from school with the chickenpox and my most vivid memory is the eerily green sky after the power went out.

I drove thru Barrie the day after the storm hit.

I recall looking at what used to be the Barrie Raceway

and all that was left of it was a pile of blue and white lumber.

What a sight to behold.

Terrible day for sure with a huge loss of life well.

Helpless feeling not being able to do much to help out but we sent some money up to the relief fund (Red Cross if I remember correctly) and hopefully it helped someone who suffered so much.

Edited by lew

I was heading up the 400 to the cottage,the wind and rain was unbelievable going through the old horse racing track at Essa Rd.By the time I got to Bayfield St to head north all the traffic lights were out.Figured I was 5 mins a head of the tornado.Still haven't felt winds and rain like that since.Thought my full size 3/4 ton chev pickup was going to flip over.

I drove thru Barrie the day after the storm hit.

I recall looking at what used to be the Barrie Raceway

and all that was left of it was a pile of blue and white lumber.

What a sight to behold.

I too drove through the day after on my way to Honey Harbour to do a little fishin' and remember that as well.

On the same day as the Barrie tornado the longest tornado track in Canadian history went from Grand Valley to Tottenham 115kms away.

It was also an F4 like the Barrie tornado.

There were a total of 14 tornadoes on that day in Ontario.

2 F1's, 8 F2's, 2 F3's, and 2 F4's!!!!

I lost my brother in law in that storm. It was tough to get into the city that night after receiving the call from family. My wife and I were north of Bobcaygeon when we got the news. It looked like a military zone that night and the next day (bluebird skies) showed the devastation. Dave was working with his father on Morrow Street and their shop was lifted and sent across the street into another factory. Dave ended up there, but my father in law got stuck in the shop and survived. There was a loss of life, but I was definitely surprised that more were not killed after seeing the level of destruction. That factory had everyone sent home early because the power went out. Can't imagine how many would have been killed if the employees were still working. RIP to all those that were lost in that storm.

I lived in Barrie way back then and was on my way home from work when it hit. Didn't know it was a tornado at the time but pulled over due to such heavy rain and hail. Thought windshield would be broken for sure. Wind was rocking truck back and forth. The weirdest and scariest part was that green sky. That was just creepy.

I did not live in the area then, but remember the tornado. We did have family in the area at the time. A good friend of mine sent me this pic of his house. He was 10 yrs old, and was hiding in the basement when it hit. The house at top left of the pic was his. His bedroom was the yellow room you see in the pic. Lucky to be alive.

image_zpsmsyo6acf.jpg