Island Lake/Guelph Lake Pike Tips

netminder

I was out at Island Lake two weekends ago and Guelph Lake Last weekend, both for the first time hunting for Pike. Since I was new to these lakes I spent most of the time trolling with spinners, cranks, worm harnesses and spoons but couldn't locate any pike. Found lots of bass, perch, sunfish, etc., but had trouble locating pike. I also don't recall ever intentionally targeting pike on any of my other fishing trips, they always just seem to be the thing I catch when bass or walleye fishing. Any tips on colours or presentations that might help bring them in? Any tips are appreciated. I'll likely try either of these locations again this coming weekend, and will give a report with any of the tips provided :).

Thanks!

5 of diamonds spoon, white spinner bait, husky jerk in perch pattern. But here is the key, cast for them, and a fast presentation is usually better for those snot rockets. You are looking for a reaction strike out of the pike, so play keep away. Works for me anyways...

Thanks guys. Like I said, I've never really targeted pike, only caught by accident. But bass isn't open and the perch seemed really small at Island Lake when I was there, so I figured maybe pike would be a nice change.

5 of diamonds spoon, white spinner bait, husky jerk in perch pattern. But here is the key, cast for them, and a fast presentation is usually better for those snot rockets. You are looking for a reaction strike out of the pike, so play keep away. Works for me anyways...

I've heard the reaction strike is the key for pike too. Now that I've got a better handle on the lakes I'll likely be casting next time. When I have some time, I'll likely stop by your store as my tackle box is never really fully stocked lol.

There is an old creek channel that runs through Guelph Lake. It's some structure in an otherwise featureless, dishpan lake.

As for Guelph Lake, it is pretty featureless, but I was locating fish along the shore at pretty much every weedy spot, especially around the big island. I also noticed a couple road beds that ran through and figured that might provide some structure. The north side where the main river flows in is full of snags and submerged trees, and locating fish there wasn't difficult either.