Boat Trailer Spare Tire - What Size/Type to Get?

fishinggeek

Had a boat now for years and thankfully never needed a spare tire. But thinking it'd be wise to get one just in case. Already got the scissor jack and was hoping to get some collective wisdom on what size and type of spare tire to get. How do I know which tire to get? I measured out rough measurements but still not sure. Appreciate any info provided...

Get a spare trailer tire that matches your trailer tires. If I didn't have a spare I wouldn't leave home because I 100% guarantee I'll get a flat.

Stop into any tire dealer, they will tell you what you have on the trailer and what size you need. The number of guys I know that have car tires on their trailers is nuts.

I have been flagged over more than once from guys asking if they can borrow my spare to get to the next town. How do you say no? Next time I'll ask if it's you.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

One that fits. There's little donuts, 4.80 x 8, medium donuts, 5.30 x 8, skinny donuts, 4.80 x 12 and normal most commonly used, 5.30 x 12. They also come in different weight capacities. Next up are the P Metric sizes, starting at 145/75/12 all the way up to 225/75/15 etc. Take a picture and post it.

Get the same ones on your trailer already, they're rated for a heavier payload and are designed to carry the weight of the boat, or whatever.

Last year my dad was making the trip from Sarnia to Whitby to do some salmon fishing on Lake O with us. He made it as far as London when his one tire blew out on trailer. Completely destroyed his fender, and brake light, and left him stranded on the side of the 402 waiting for CAA. He had a spare, but in his haste to leave, he forgot his jack at home. He didn't trust his spare to make the rest of the trip, so he ended up turning around and going back home.

His tires were only 4 years old at the time.

To add to this, he made it up the next weekend, and broke his prop on a rock in 4ft of water 100ft from the launch on our way back in.

I never gave a spare away. I followed the persons to the closest garage where they removed it and gave it back. Once for the trailer once for a car. Of course once it was a fine young lady and it turned out to be well worth the time and effort, well worth it.

I sure am no Saint. I say I don't expect to get into Heaven automatically. I just want to get an interview with St. Peter to hear my side of the story then let he and J.C. decide for themselves.

Edited by Old Ironmaker