Carp Advice

FloatnFly

So, I would like to start fishing carp to fill the void between steelhead and bass. I will be using my centre pin rod and reel. Just looking for some advice for setups.

Rod: 10.5' Streamside IM6 steelhead edition, can easily handle big salmon

Reel: Okuma Aventa Centre pin, 10lb mono main line with 20lb backing. approx 400yrds total

No problems with that set up, I use my pin a lot more now for carp than I did a few years ago. It's not a rig I fish in and around snags or weeds. It'll work well if you've got some open water to play in like around any river mouths.

Small egg sinker and hair rig works well with sweet corn or some of the carp corns like Cukk - my favorite has been the mussels and honey cumin flavor

Another good technique is to set up a waggler float (similar to a slip float set up). The long stem float gets set with a few inches of the stem just above the water and acts as a strike indicator. This set up works best for me in water less than 4ft deep.

All your bait and chum needs can be found at dollarama. Pick up a couple cans of sweet corn and a pack of breakfast oats. I wet the oats slightly and pack them into little balls to help chum the area.

No problems with that set up, I use my pin a lot more now for carp than I did a few years ago. It's not a rig I fish in and around snags or weeds. It'll work well if you've got some open water to play in like around any river mouths.

Small egg sinker and hair rig works well with sweet corn or some of the carp corns like Cukk - my favorite has been the mussels and honey cumin flavor

Another good technique is to set up a waggler float (similar to a slip float set up). The long stem float gets set with a few inches of the stem just above the water and acts as a strike indicator. This set up works best for me in water less than 4ft deep.

All your bait and chum needs can be found at dollarama. Pick up a couple cans of sweet corn and a pack of breakfast oats. I wet the oats slightly and pack them into little balls to help chum the area.

awesome, going to be fishing mostly whitby harbour area, frenchmans bay and scugog

You can always go weightless too if you get the corn and hook out without weights. Carp usually hit and run. I have done it many times.

Edited by dsn

A slip weight will give you the weight you want with little pressure on the fish, if it is shallow and calm adding a long thin cork as an indicator is good too.

Out of cold clean water carp are descent eating but anywhere else Carp just make great fertilizer for the garden. In my book goby and carp should NEVER be released. Bow fishing them can help with the fertilizer too and is fun.

Edited by mosquito