Gardening 2015

muskymatt

My wife and I love to garden. Over the years we've gotten better and usually have a really good crop to harvest. The garden is about 14' x 24' and gets tilled and compost added yearly.

This years garden went in in about 4hrs, but with the de-weeding and tilling happening yesterday.

Highlights are, for me anyway, spending time with the wife. Juicy beefsteak tomatoes on a toasted tomato sandwich, the 16 or so large mason jars of tomatoes that keep us through the winter. Of course my hot peppers.

This years garden has:

• 2 dozen Roma tomato plants
  • 2 Cherry tomato plants
  • 1 dozen Beefsteak plants
  • 8 English Cucumber plants
  • 1 dozen super red hot chili pepper plants
  • 40 red onion sprigs
  • 60 beets
  • 120 radishes
  • Lettuce

Can't wait for the harvest to start!!

20150518_122838.jpg

Today a dozen tomato plants 6 Swiss chard, beans, parley rosemary and basil and lettuce. Still to put in, zucchini and hot peppers mayb eggplant.

Don't have much room, but alway fresh and free of chemicals.

Lettuce plant from last year that I let go to seed almost ready to eat :)

Better have some plastic sheet handy to cover over your plants, or a good fan to create air movement. There is risk of frost again in the long range for the week. They are expecting another polar down draft from the jet stream like the one that hit southern Ontario last Thursday.

I'm 2 1/2 zones south of Ottawa and I'm waiting a few more days before I start planting out peppers and tomatoes. A lot of people were at the market Saturday buying replacement plants for those killed in last week's frost.

I was planning to plant this weekend but I agree, best to wait one more week. Besides, my tomatoes are thriving indoors right now anyway. No need to take a chance.

I'm doing brandy wine and cherry tomatoes, bib lettuce, sweet peas ( already planted), carrots, sugar baby watermelons ( first time) and a bunch of herbs.

Great to garden with the kids. They love to see the plants grow!

My wife and I love to garden. Over the years we've gotten better and usually have a really good crop to harvest. The garden is about 14' x 24' and gets tilled and compost added yearly.

This years garden went in in about 4hrs, but with the de-weeding and tilling happening yesterday.

Highlights are, for me anyway, spending time with the wife. Juicy beefsteak tomatoes on a toasted tomato sandwich, the 16 or so large mason jars of tomatoes that keep us through the winter. Of course my hot peppers.

This years garden has:

• 2 Cherry tomato plants
  • 40 red onion sprigs
  • 60 beets
  • 120 radishes
  • Lettuce

attachicon.gif20150518_122838.jpg

That looks very good!

I would like to show you one pic, made it day before yesterday:

Chicory%20Green%20Grumolo_zpsr3q4lrxw.jp

Our Chicory Green Grumolo from last year is the first lettuce we are harvesting since 2 weeks.
And the serious angler grows "Trout Lettuce" for sure - you can see the seedlings left and right of the chicory waiting for more space ;-)
btw: North of Blind River area
Edited by Bluegill

I was planning to plant this weekend but I agree, best to wait one more week. Besides, my tomatoes are thriving indoors right now anyway. No need to take a chance.

I'm doing brandy wine and cherry tomatoes, bib lettuce, sweet peas ( already planted), carrots, sugar baby watermelons ( first time) and a bunch of herbs.

Great to garden with the kids. They love to see the plants grow!

We put our first garden in when the kids were 1 and 2 years, they have benefited from it ever since. They are 19 and 20 now.

I so wanted to put some corn in as we did years ago but it wasn't in the cards.

We also garden every year..Have been since my Grandfather taught me. Our Garden is about 35x20 and 15x15. We have a hobby *x8 greenhouse that i built from scrap patio doors. We raise 9 egg laying hens and keep Rabbits for meat.. Use all the rabbit manure to make organic compost tea..Everything goes full circle around here. What goes in our animals goes right back into the gardens.
This year were growing Red, white and black currents, Strawberries, Rhubarb. Were also making our own tea this year for the second year in a row. We grow Tulsi (Holy Basil) tea Lemon bergmont and Chamomile teas.

As for vegetables this year were doing the following.Sicilian saucer and heritage cherry tomatoes .Swiss chard, collards, 2 types of kale, broccoli, cabbage, green and yellow beans, Brussels Sprouts, zucchini and winter squash. All the stuff I mention above I started in the greenhouse..It sure is nice to be out there messing around in soil with a foot of ice and snow out there.. Anyway that's me and if anyone local needs any rabbit manure...Look me up!

As for vegetables this year were doing the following.Sicilian saucer and heritage cherry tomatoes .Swiss chard, collards, 2 types of kale, broccoli, cabbage...

This year we are giving up on planting any cabbages because of the hordes of cabbages worms eating anything last year.
What are you doing against these cabbage white butterfly?

Very nice, this year I have planted 3 yellow cherry, two beefsteak and 4 early girl tomatoes, two rows of beans and two rows of peas, I am also attempting asparagus for the first time. In the side garden I'm planting potatoes again.

Still have half a garden to plant... Need to look for something that doesn't mind shade.

G

This year we are giving up on planting any cabbages because of the hordes of cabbages worms eating anything last year.

Use BT. Can eat the plants the same day if you wanted to completely safe for humans. Just google killing cabbage worms or butterflies and you will get tons of info. Most decent garden centre's carry it and a small bottle lasts for years and years.

Use BT. Can eat the plants the same day if you wanted to completely safe for humans. Just google killing cabbage worms or butterflies and you will get tons of info. Most decent garden centre's carry it and a small bottle lasts for years and years.

Thank you very much! :good:

Didn't know BT, found good infos about it also youtube video.

BT isint exactly organic. We use diatomaceous earth or DE.. We use an old flour sifter over the plants.. Reapply after the rains..We also use it to control slugs. Go out at night and cover any slugs with it. Its also bee friendly..

You can also resort to biological controls. We've had good success using various strains of braconid wasp to help control caterpillar populations in out tomato plants. A completely natural insect predation.

Edited by bigugli

You can also resort to biological controls. We've had good success using various strains of braconid wasp to help control caterpillar populations in out tomato plants. A completely natural insect predation.

Wow just goes to show you never know it all.. I have never heard of this method..Also would love to know more.. Where did you get them from?

This years garden has:

• 2 Cherry tomato plants
  • 40 red onion sprigs
  • 60 beets
  • 120 radishes
  • Lettuce

attachicon.gif20150518_122838.jpg

Hello Musky Matt Wife and All

am no expert here...but those look like good choices

am always impressed on how big a yield can come from a small plot well cared for

Never had much success with cukes--British or other wise--could be a soil thing

Like a lot of SouthWestern Ontario folk we got that dang tomatoe blight--SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

this season--we are moving the tomatoes to another site--horticultural limed the spot last Fall--and....not sure if that challange is air borne or soil borne--a good friend has offered a copper--no not that copper--spray to avoid the heart break

Good Growing

Paul

For sure the most pleasure I get from my garden all year long is my Garlic. I love garlic. :) I'm still eating my own almost daily. The difference between mine and that crap from China is like night and day. IMO it enhances anything it's used in big time. When I get sausages made I supply my own garlic and the difference is significant. I have about 25 bulbs left and about half of them are still in pretty good shape. The softer ones I slice and dehydrate and then grind for my own garlic powder.

I grow 150 bulbs each year, usually planted in November. It's a good amount for me. That takes up only a 4x12 bed. Very low maintenance on my scale. Garlic gives back a 4-5 to 1 return on your initial investment so after that it's free every year. But I will buy different varieties at the garlic fest to try new ones. I can't remember the last time I bought garlic at a store.

Cheers

Wow just goes to show you never know it all.. I have never heard of this method..Also would love to know more.. Where did you get them from?

Before I retired I had done crop assessments and quality control. The focus of pest management in Ontario has been on the concept of integrated pest management where a greater reliance is put on more natural controls, but does not exclude chemical alternatives when things get out of hand.

On the use of predatorial insects, there are so many to choose from depending on crops planted on your property and the neighbouring area. There are a number of braconid type wasps in use for soft skinned pests. Spider mites like Orius for controlling aphid and whitefly. Mantis and ladybug also have their place.

While the predators are in play, other controls will hinder effectiveness. We have also found that predators need to be introduced into our crops twice in a season. I know that we get our predatory mites from Global, but I'm not sure where my buddy gets the Braconids from. Unfortunately, a number of sources are wholesale agricultural suppliers.

You might try a company called NIC in Stevensville. Also talk to the local co-op

On tomato blight, we have had some problems with some tomato varieties, as well as in late season. Spores are soil, water and air transmitted. The cooler your nights, and the more overnight moisture, the greater your rate of spore germination. Last year was cool compared to others. Our San marzanos and other Roma variants were hit hard with an 80% loss. Other plum varieties remained far more resilient. A soil drench prior to planting followed by another drench a few weeks after planting, with a fungicide is your best defence in slowing the blight. As a preventative, avoid evening watering like the plague. Bacterial and fungal spores need only 20 minutes of moisture contact and cool temps. to germinate. The longer the plant is wet, the worse it gets for your plants.

Hello Musky Matt Wife and All

am no expert here...but those look like good choices

am always impressed on how big a yield can come from a small plot well cared for

Never had much success with cukes--British or other wise--could be a soil thing

Like a lot of SouthWestern Ontario folk we got that dang tomatoe blight--SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

this season--we are moving the tomatoes to another site--horticultural limed the spot last Fall--and....not sure if that challange is air borne or soil borne--a good friend has offered a copper--no not that copper--spray to avoid the heart break

Good Growing

Paul

Paul you need to try more blight resistant strains..We switched to Sicilian saucers when they were the only survivors in our garden the one summer..Since then I harvest my seeds from them tomatoes. I haven't lost a plant to blight in 2 years now. Where are you located? I wouldn't mind giving you a 6 pack of plants to try in your garden if you would like.

I cleared three 3/4acre fields with an excavator last fall and this year two of them will be plowed and the discs put to them. We have been spreading chicken and rabbit poop and compost on the clay since the winter. The field you see pictured will have 100 pumpkin seeds (1 giant seed from CBC) and the neighbors will use a plot for their potatoes and turnips.

IMG_0011_zpswd2lgkip.jpg

IMG_0025_zpsklbaxhgg.jpg

The main garden has an awesome manure mix and will likely grow like it's nuclear-powered! We have seeds for:

Tomatoes

Peas

Yellow and purple beans

Kale

Spinach

Carrots

Herbs

...and my wife likely has more.

IMG_0106_zpso3x130ga.jpg

Good method Rod Caster. Always good to work up and enrich a new patch of ground the fall before you plant. Needs to be broken down nicely to knock down weed growth and improve yields.

Actually, it is always good to turn your soil before the ground freezes.

Edited by bigugli

For sure the most pleasure I get from my garden all year long is my Garlic. I love garlic. :) I'm still eating my own almost daily. The difference between mine and that crap from China is like night and day. IMO it enhances anything it's used in big time. When I get sausages made I supply my own garlic and the difference is significant. I have about 25 bulbs left and about half of them are still in pretty good shape. The softer ones I slice and dehydrate and then grind for my own garlic powder.

I grow 150 bulbs each year, usually planted in November. It's a good amount for me. That takes up only a 4x12 bed. Very low maintenance on my scale. Garlic gives back a 4-5 to 1 return on your initial investment so after that it's free every year. But I will buy different varieties at the garlic fest to try new ones. I can't remember the last time I bought garlic at a store.

Cheers

:good:

just 2 pics from today, garlic planted in Oct 2014

21052015_zpse37mtai9.jpg

and Chicory Green Grumolo, Trout lettuce and Royal Red lettuce ready to transplant

21052015_3_zpsi9ho79nn.jpg