They chase but won't take

fishnguy

Hi everyone

It's been a really slow spring on Georgian Bay (Owen Sound). I've had a hard time getting onto salmon or trout consistently.

Since trolling the usual spots has been so unproductive, I decided to try my hand at jigging. Check out this pic of my fish finder.

http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/nibbly1/media/photo1_zpsifaprbxz.jpg.html

You can see my jig falling on the left side of the screen and a fish rising to check it out/chase it up. They were doing this all day....chasing my jig up but never taking it. You can also see a couple others hanging on bottom. I assume these are lakers???? I was using a jig and white grub. Anyone have any tips on how to get these guys to take the bait? Is there a better bait I should be using?

Thanks!

I saw a show once where they were jigging for lakers and the trick was to keep bringing it up if a laker was chasing it. They said the fish would lose interest if you stopped the upward movement. They said to even increase the speed of the incline.

Thanks. We tried worms, spawn, different sized jigs....nothing. maybe just not the right day.

They would follow up about 10 ft no matter what I did....speed up, jig it up vs reel straight up, etc. It was fun to watch them on the graph but frustrating at the same time. I'll be back out there soon.

It was fun to watch them on the graph but frustrating at the same time. I'll be back out there soon.

I cant help out on the GBAY lakers, but on Simcoe, we do the same. Love playing the fish chase arcade game. :D

Good luck out there.

I saw a show once where they were jigging for lakers and the trick was to keep bringing it up if a laker was chasing it. They said the fish would lose interest if you stopped the upward movement. They said to even increase the speed of the incline.

The Simcoe guys swear by this technique.

Hi everyone

It's been a really slow spring on Georgian Bay (Owen Sound). I've had a hard time getting onto salmon or trout consistently.

Since trolling the usual spots has been so unproductive, I decided to try my hand at jigging. Check out this pic of my fish finder.

http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/nibbly1/media/photo1_zpsifaprbxz.jpg.html

You can see my jig falling on the left side of the screen and a fish rising to check it out/chase it up. They were doing this all day....chasing my jig up but never taking it. You can also see a couple others hanging on bottom. I assume these are lakers???? I was using a jig and white grub. Anyone have any tips on how to get these guys to take the bait? Is there a better bait I should be using?

Thanks!

Had the same games this winter...
The only way I could catch these lazy guys was with a tiny small dead minnow.
Let the minnow slowly sink to the bottom, wait, lift it fast for 2 or 3 secound one or two feet and let it sink to the bottom again. After that my float always went down...
For the fish this looks like to be an easy to catch bait...
Btw, I caught small lakers and rock bass! in 60 feet under the ice. Forget it.

I know this technique works. It goes against your instincts at first, but once you witness a laker speed up to match your increased speed its quite something! Sometimes you can't crank fast enough to trigger a strike, slow down or hesitate at all and they lose interest.