Odd question about where to fish: looking for a place with NO fish..

adam lancia

Hi all, I realize this is probably a very unusual request... I'm looking for a place to test out a bunch of my new gear which was acquired in the great tackle monkey attack of late 2014/early 2015. The vast majority of my tackle is bass-focused and with the season opening up on over a month from now, I'd rather not take a chance on catching bass when I 1) don't want to, 2) they're OOS. So, is there anywhere within say a half hour drive of eastern Scarborough that definitely doesn't have any fish in it...? I was messing around on Google maps and saw a pond behind the Public Works yard at Morningside and the 401, is that private property or public, and is fishing allowed there?

In case I can't find somewhere to wet a line without hooking a fish, is there a good way to cast my lures without fear of hooking a fish? I know I can just remove the trebles from those lures, but what about my single hook baits like jigs and spinnerbaits...? Is there a reliable way to cap the hooks?

Thanks in advance!

I was messing around on Google maps and saw a pond behind the Public Works yard at Morningside and the 401, is that private property or public, and is fishing allowed there?

I know that pond. I don't think that you are allowed there anymore.

You can try one of the piers at the end of Port Union Rd. There are fish, but I don't think the chance of catching a bass if very high.

Manitou, for the first time in my life, I hope you're wrong ;) Pains me to think it, let alone say it...

Thanks for the suggestions guys, sounds like a few options close to home.

Ohio: I was thinking about that as I typed, I'm looking to test my new reels and rods though so I wouldn't have been super concerned about lure action and the rest of that business.

A small piece of bar straw will keep the fish from getting hooked. I carrya few clear ones so when my fishing buddy starts to catch more fish than me I just sneak on on his lure. I am not sure what the ruling for this is if the game warden see it though.

Art

Manitou, for the first time in my life, I hope you're wrong ;) Pains me to think it, let alone say it...

Thanks for the suggestions guys, sounds like a few options close to home.

Ohio: I was thinking about that as I typed, I'm looking to test my new reels and rods though so I wouldn't have been super concerned about lure action and the rest of that business.

If all you are looking to do is test the rods and reels put a clip on the end of the line and cast some various weight bell sinkers, an old jig with the hook cut off?

That's a great idea Art, maybe even some vinyl tubing would work.

Ohio, I thought of that too, but in a fit of boredom last week I has already tied lures onto all of the equipment I want to test :-\

Thanks again everyone!

What about up at the Rouge River Dam in Markham? It looks like there are a lot of easy-to-fish-from spots along there.

For those spots at Bluffers and the Port Union pier, should I be considering putting a heavy leader on in case a pike decides what I have tied on looks tasty...? If so, what should use for a leader? The heaviest I have is 15# Berkley fluorocarbon. Of course, if I accidentally catch a pike that'll mean a host of other issues since I don't have a net or a Boga grip, let alone any experience dealing with a tooth bugger like that...

The Rouge rive at the end of Lawrence Ave has a shallow bay that has carp and bullheads. Never caught a pike or bass there. I've tested the action of my buzzbaits and spinner baits there a lot of times when I lived in Scarborough years ago. The parking lot is a stones throw from the water. The water between the train bridge and Lake Ontario is usually free of fishermen and I have Never caught a thing there.

The Rouge rive at the end of Lawrence Ave has a shallow bay that has carp and bullheads. Never caught a pike or bass there. I've tested the action of my buzzbaits and spinner baits there a lot of times when I lived in Scarborough years ago. The parking lot is a stones throw from the water. The water between the train bridge and Lake Ontario is usually free of fishermen and I have Never caught a thing there.

That sounds like a great spot, and just up the road a bit too. Thanks!

What about up at the Rouge River Dam in Markham? It looks like there are a lot of easy-to-fish-from spots along there.

For those spots at Bluffers and the Port Union pier, should I be considering putting a heavy leader on in case a pike decides what I have tied on looks tasty...? If so, what should use for a leader? The heaviest I have is 15# Berkley fluorocarbon. Of course, if I accidentally catch a pike that'll mean a host of other issues since I don't have a net or a Boga grip, let alone any experience dealing with a tooth bugger like that...

I don't think you are likely to catch a pike off the piers at Port Union Road. If you do. please let me know. :) You might get one by the boat launch at Bluffers.