Quick Introduction and a question!

HELLO ALL!

Glad to be here. For my first post I'd like to first introduce myself. I'm a 44 year old guy who's been and avid outdoorsman for as long as I can remember. Born and raised in cottage country - Peterborough, ON - and have live the last part of 20 years in Ottawa. Almost every year I go on a guy's fishing trip, and camp with the family (3 kids) at least twice during that same time. I'm a canoe lover (now own a brand new Swift Keewaydin solo) and enjoy all that the wilderness offers. I'm not sure why it took me so long to find this site - great peeps so far from what I've read.

With that, I got a delimma. My buddy and I are looking for a new fishing/camping hole to spend a long weekend at and I'm looking for advice. I've been going for the last 20 yrs to places like Lingham Lake (personal Fav), Deerock Lake , Little/Big Morrow, Weslemkoon, Effingham....mainly eastern ontario. I'm in need for a change. I'm looking for a great lake that can be camped on (island or not), with little to no civilization and a great place to catch some largies/smallies. Would like to say eastern as much as possible. We only canoe/kayak and have truck - don't mind portaging a bit to get there if it's that good.

Couple other thing to note about me: I (we) truly practice catch and release. I hate the way Lingham as been treated and have seen the devastation to fish stock populations (they're doing something about it now). So know that I can personally guarantee all of our fish will be put back. Secondly, we take out whatever we bring in. In most cases we bring out more than we take in. Would make you believe we were never there.

It may be too tall of an order but anything suggestion would be greatly appreciated. We’re really looking for something different that we can discover/enjoy. And hey, Private message me if you’d like to tell me a place but would rather keep it more private – would honestly keep it that way!

Thanks!

VS

• 3 years later...

A bit late for your May long weekend but tossing my 2 cents in.

Also looking for a change. We have a small group and last year did a small lake off of Big Gull Lake on Crown Land. We paddled in and do have fish twice over the 6 days. Lots of Bass with little else. We have done most of the large lakes in Algonquin and are returning to it again next year. We have been going out for 27 years, each Fall when the bugs drop off.This year it is my lake choice. It was going to be Lingham but  it seems to get a bad rap.Lots of Bass with little else. We have been going out for 27 years, each Fall when the bugs drop off.

We have done most of the large lakes in Algonquin and are returning to it again next year. Lots of small Bass and an occasional Muskie.

This year it is my lake choice. It was going to be Lingham but  it seems to get a bad rap so will likely do Deer Rock in late September. 

Great intro, welcome. I would suggest Lac Coulange, Westmeath On. on the Ottawa. You can camp on Hollywood Island, named after this poster. A wide sandy beach on warm clear shallow water. If you see someone all week in the summer they are most likely in a plane. Great fishing, wildlife, bays and islands to explore. If you trek on the islands beware of sinkholes covered in foliage. Can be deadly and have taken a few hikers over the years. You don't have to travel 1000's of kilometers to find paradise in Ontario. We kayaked and canoed there for years, a blast doing the small rapids between lakes. Plus the town is close by but you wouldn't know it. Good luck, be safe have fun.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Please realize that we have a rule that prohibits showing exact spots using pictures or maps. If you want to exchange information beyond general suggestion it must be done thru P.M.

Thank you 

Art 

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:58 PM, OttawaRandy said:

A bit late for your May long weekend but tossing my 2 cents in.

Also looking for a change. We have a small group and last year did a small lake off of Big Gull Lake on Crown Land. We paddled in and do have fish twice over the 6 days. Lots of Bass with little else. We have done most of the large lakes in Algonquin and are returning to it again next year. We have been going out for 27 years, each Fall when the bugs drop off.This year it is my lake choice. It was going to be Lingham but  it seems to get a bad rap.Lots of Bass with little else. We have been going out for 27 years, each Fall when the bugs drop off.

We have done most of the large lakes in Algonquin and are returning to it again next year. Lots of small Bass and an occasional Muskie.

This year it is my lake choice. It was going to be Lingham but  it seems to get a bad rap so will likely do Deer Rock in late September. 

Yea, like 3 years late. Missed the date. There are dozens of small Islands in that area. Pick 1. If no trespassing they are posted. I have never seen a NO TRESPASSING sign on an Island. If there is a McMansion on it you know it's private and owned by German nationals.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

• 10 months later...

So yes,  the OP is back.  Family emergency ended up taking that trip off the radar.  Thanks for the older replies however as, believe it or not, are very helpful - regardless of the years past.   We're back at it again this year and looking into Weslemkoon/Otter lake , but will seriously look at Big Gull &  Lac Coulange.    We did go back to Lingham the year after - and sad to say the north entry has been ruined by Jeeps tryin to  get into the lake (plus so much damage) via the walking path.   Fishing wasn't all that great still.

If there's still any other suggestions lemme know.  Will promise to post some pics and island feedback. 

VS