Fluorocarbon Leader, What Do You Use?

James77

Hi guys,

Only ever used wire leaders throughout my life. Thinking of trying a Fluoro leader this weekend for some Walters.

My question:

Do you use fluorocarbon line, or the specific fluorocarbon leader material?

I use 30# PP as my main line, and will be tying onto that.

Thanks

James

I always use leader material. I figure the mix they use to make mainline fluoro more manageable on the spool isn't what I need for a leader. I don't go through enough to worry about the cost difference.

I use anything from 6lb to 12lb (mostly 10lb) test for jigging but often for casting or trolling cranks I don't bother with any leader. I'm using the leader more for stealth rather then pike bite-offs.

I generally use Seaguar Blue Label flouro leader material.

It's a little more $$$ but is tough as nails.

I use 40# on my trolling outfits I use for lakers and pike.

http://www.seaguar.com/saltwater/fluorocarbon.html

For lighter lines I use Sunline FC Super Sniper as it comes in bigger spools and really works quite well for me. I use a lot of the 8# when fishing steelhead and trout in rivers and it works great.

http://www.sunlineamerica.com/super-fc-sniper/

I've been using regular seaguar yellow package as leader material for years. Just way more economical than the leader spools. I've never had an issue. I recently have been using the seaguar salmon trout steelhead 10lb leader for pickerel, and it's great, but the only reason I bought it was because it came in 100yd spools for a good price. I go through a crap ton of leader throughout the year, so savings is an issue for me. Sunline is also good stuff. I really like the 7lb test for bows.

I use floro leaders, I use 50# suffix 832 braid and use a matching diameter leader, so 15-20# floro leader. I think I'm using trilene right now. It's been pretty strong for me and does the job, haven't had any breaks.

Vanish is the name that I use, mostly bass and pike fishing.
I don't like fluro fully spooled on my rod but as leaders its great.

Edited by zer0ish

Thanks for all the input guys, my main question is really do i buy fluoro line or fluoro leader material?

I'm going to be casting Rapala's at night and will be jigging from a boat in the daytime.

Thanks

James

For my money, if you buy a quality fluoro line, it makes zero difference if you use it for leader material. I've tested that on countless fish. When I can buy a 200 yard spool for just a bit more than a little spool of leader material, I'm buying the bulk spool every time. It's your cash, buy what you prefer. Me I like to save a few buck when there is no real performance difference to me. Both sunline and seaguar yellow box work great as leader line. Abrazx is pretty much junk, even though they market it as being more abrasion resistant. For pickerel, I use Fluoro every time I run a braid rod. With mono rods I don't bother. If you need the reassurance then buy the seaguar STS 10LB. It's cheap and it's good. Good luck.

Edited by porkpie

I dont use fluoro for anything except musky/pike leaders. I just cant justify the price.

Berkely Trilene XT or XL for all my leaders, and regular power pro braid. Jigging I use 8lb XT, casting raps 10lb, maybe 12lb if thats what I have rigged. At night I use a snap to my braid and thats it for raps....

Keep it simple. Simple still works, believe me.

S.

I use seagar blue pak leader material in 8-12lb test and vanish leader material in 20lb test .

Use it more for zebra defence on most rods. Connect it to 15-60 lb power pro with a blood knot. Smallest knot i know how to tie

I use seagar blue pak leader material in 8-12lb test and vanish leader material in 20lb test .

Use it more for zebra defence on most rods. Connect it to 15-60 lb power pro with a blood knot. Smallest knot i know how to tie

If you are looking for an even smaller knot for heavier leaders try this one out.   ;)

For light leaders I use a back to back UNI knot.

For carp fishing, I use 12 lb. flouro line for tying my hair rigs...this is then tied on to 17 lb. Trilene XL mono via a ball bearing swivel...

The main reason is if I get a break-off it will usually be the hair rig and all I lose is my hook and not my $3 spring or method feeder...

Rarely do I tie a hair rig longer than 12 inches and seeing as a carp's teeth (grinders) are back in their throat getting bit-off is not an issue so using expensive flouro leader material would be a waste...if I was fishing for toothy critters then I would use flouro leader material...

Edited by Beans

For Steelheading I use Phantom 4.4 and 5.6.

For snapping bucktails I use 20lb Bass Pro Shop XPS.

I did my own study and found a trible surgeon knot and XPS would last for a full day and a few hours the next morning. The knot would stand up put the flouro would break about 2 cm below the knot.

XPS hasn't let me down put with so many new lines the study should be done again.

jigging walleye, ive got a 10 inch length of of 20lb fluro tied to the jig, i then tie that to the fluro using 20lb xxxsmall raven micro swivel...this presentation was a game changer for me over everyone else in the boat last fall, coulda been luck, but it seems to be working for me a lot better than not running a leader like in previous years.

Coulda went lighter on the fluro but i fish a river with a lot of snags everywhere, I need to still be able to get the jig out from the rocks when dead sticking, plus I never get bit off.

Edited by AKRISONER

for pike fishing I use 100# seagar blue label premium as well as 40 titanium tieable

for bass and walleye finesse presentations I use seagar 10- 12 #. ( only for dragging tubes and grubs )

For trout I like raven 5.6 and 3.4 #

Back to back uni knot and Albright knot