A Steelheading Trip of a Lifetime!

Legendary steelheader, writer extraordinaire, the foremost authority on fly-in fishing adventures and THE worlds greatest dad...These are just a few ways I've heard people describe Mike Borger... But I sure as heck wouldn't call him any of those! lol

He is an awesome friend though, who has on several occasions offered to take me out steelheading for the better part of a decade. Unfortunately, each and every year it seems as though the prime steel conditions coincide with me having a crap ton of stuff to do… Be it kids, the house or work I’ve just never been able to squeeze out a day or two. This spring Mike and I had talked about finally getting out, and though I was hopeful, I had this gut feeling that once again the stars wouldn’t align.

Early last week it was my son’s 6th birthday. I had just finished what was likely my 8th or 9th beer… ( because who doesn’t get hammered at their son’s 6th birthday dinner lol ) and my phone went off. It was Mike, and the coming Friday was going to be PRIME for steelheading on the US side of the border. Mike not only offered to take me out, but also suggested I bring Averie along so we could both catch our first steelhead.

Time passes, and all of our guests leave. Typically, I ease into asking the wife if I can sneak out for a day of fishing… BUT thanks to the 12 or so beers I’d already thrown back that evening, I piped up and said “ Hun, I’m pulling Averie from school on Friday and we’re going steelheading in the US”… To my complete surprise she said “Sure, Averie would love that”. I froze for a moment… slightly confused as to what had just transpired. Was it the beer, or was this actually going to happen? lol

Anyway, after dealing with a few things and ironing out most of the plans with Mike it was a go! Late Thursday after getting in from 3 soccer practices, I give Mike one last call and he lays a doozie on me… we’re leaving early he says. Ok no problem I’ve gotten up early to go fishing my entire life. The plan, was to meet near Grimsby at 4:30 a.m. I live 1.5 hours away from Grimsby. lol Mike realizes how far away I am from where we’re to meet and suggests 5 a.m. instead. So we’re shooting for 5 a.m. but I still wanted to get there as early as we could so the alarm was set for 2:30 a.m.

I wake up and load the car, am pretty well ready to go, then wake Averie up at 2:55 a.m. We’re out the door and ready to hit the road a few minutes after 3 a.m. and Averie is taking the early morning like a champ.

11164597_10152681734461580_4481468255935

Honestly, the entire day was amazing. Mike took care of everything. Rods, reels, tackle, bait, he drove, put us on fish, took pictures, filmed Averie catching her first ever steelhead, coached her the whole way through - you name it. I could write up a complete breakdown of the day but it wouldn’t do it justice. Writing is Mike’s area of expertise, not mine, so I’ll let the pictures tell the story.

I can't believe it took us this long to do it, and I'm %100 certain it won't take that long again. Averie and I both can't thank Mike and his son Brendan enough for the day trip. It's something we will remember for a long, long time. She won't stop talking about it, and is so stoked to have made a new friend in Brendan. He's a great kid, and lucky to have a dad who's happy to bring him along on so many fishing adventures. We owe you one brother!

It really was just about the kids, but Mike and I managed some nice fish as well. Hope you guys enjoy the pics!

The trail walking in....

IMG_1958.jpg

Mike's son Brendan... great kid - Him and Averie were both a little shy at first but eventually hit it off and had a great day together.

P1130577.jpg

Averie ready to rock..

P1130578.jpg

And to the fish!!!!

P1130586.jpg

FIRST EVER STEELHEAD!

P1130603.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

P1130614.jpg

We didn't get pics of all of our fish... some we just released ( sometimes unintentionally lol ) or Mike was up-stream with Brendan. Here's Brendan with one of those ones that escaped as we were getting the camera out... Poor kid was all ready for a photo and I was to slow with the camera...

P1130620.jpg

P1130621.jpg

We caught some of these guys to... Averie's PERSONAL BEST sucker! lol

IMG_1966.jpg

one of mine..

P1130646.jpg

P1130656.jpg

P1130663.jpg

The fight is on again...

P1130692.jpg

P1130695.jpg

P1130707.jpg

P1130711.jpg

Averie's second personal best for the day....

P1130731.jpg

P1130744.jpg

More pics to follow.....

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

Skipping rocks...

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1988.jpg

They weren't all giants... lol

IMG_1991.jpg

Here's the man himself with a good one..

P1130759.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_2001.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2015.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_2029.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2037.jpg

Thanks again buddy!!! AMAZING DAY!... please post your pics & video to when you have as sec...

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

Thanks for posting this bud, great report! But good grief man my hat doesn't fit anymore 'cause my head just swelled so much LOL!

It was my favorite day of the spring, honestly. Brendan had a blast and Averie is a little angel. :)

As requested here's the vid I pieced together. Looking forward to the next trip!

Wow, wonderful. fantastic times. Those tykes caught more Steelhead that day than I've seen in all my years of trying to catch my second ever Steelhead. Vunderbar.

Oh and the music to the video, (Enigma maybe) I was waiting for some Viking warriors to ride up the river in slow motion, do Vikings ride horses, the video was great too Mike.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Doesn't get any better that that Mike. I wish I could get our magazine to do a fishing article, you would be on my list! They just don't understand. :( But it would have to be on Ontario river of course in my business :)

Great report.

Wow, wonderful. fantastic times. Those tykes caught more Steelhead that day than I've seen in all my years of trying to catch my second ever Steelhead. Vunderbar.

Oh and the music to the video, (Enigma maybe) I was waiting for some Viking warriors to ride up the river in slow motion, do Vikings ride horses, the video was great too Mike.

Well if you ever want to catch your 2nd drop me a line. :)

The dropback hole will never be the same! Awesome awesome!!!! Kids looked like they had a riot! (The dads didn't seem to have a bad time either!)

Paul and another good buddy just by happenstance pounded it to death the day before we fished it (go figure LOL!). It was great fishing but quite easily could have been even better.

This put a smile on my face

Hey Brad good luck this week! Can't wait to hear how you made out!

Doesn't get any better that that Mike. I wish I could get our magazine to do a fishing article, you would be on my list! They just don't understand. :( But it would have to be on Ontario river of course in my business :)

Great report.

Why don't you let me talk to them? Lots of great steelheading in Ontario. :)

[/quote

Don't we all know it.

Mike, they don't understand! I've put the idea in many times and at one time we traded emails I believe and I put your name in. . . They chose and it featured popular 'guys' fishing a local east creek and the waterfront. Had to drop another due to his views . . .

On a marketing note, seeing your report in a magazine would attract a lot of $s IMO. But then what do I

know about marketing!

[/quote

Don't we all know it.

Mike, they don't understand! I've put the idea in many times and at one time we traded emails I believe and I put your name in. . . They chose and it featured popular 'guys' fishing a local east creek and the waterfront. Had to drop another due to his views . . .

On a marketing note, seeing your report in a magazine would attract a lot of $s IMO. But then what do I

know about marketing!

Well for what it's worth I've written a bunch of stuff already for Tourism Ontario as well as OOD. There's a market for everything.

This may not be general public knowledge, but earlier in the spring I cut ties with OOD. That has subsequently spurred me to make a fairly bold move. It's a major turning point in my life I think. :)