Jackpot!

HTHM

back in the late 80s early 90s when the Thames river had a great run of walleye in the spring in the Delaware area and the guys lined the shore all of march and april,I knew of someone that took an old mattress burned it with gas til it had nothing but the coils left,forced in a several bricks to help submerge it and drop it in one of the best and most popular holes. Then when the summer came and water levels dropped he would retrieve the mattress coils full of jigs ,rapalas and whatever else.

I once snagged onto a fishing line in the river. As I started to pull it out of the water I then noticed it had a float attached to it. I thought to myself, I'll get the garbage line out of the water and possibly save the float. When I got the line to my hand I felt a fish attached to it. Hand bombed and released a nice steelhead.

I was trolling a rapala on pickerel river a while back when i hooked into what i thought was an absolute pig...after a long fight with drag being pulled back and forth, I pulled out a diawa bait caster rod and reel with line lure and everything. It looked like it had been submerged for a couple of weeks as it was starting to get covered in a bit of mud and algae.

I ended up looking up the value of the set up and unfortunately for me it was just a cheap set up so the effort to clean up the reel wasnt worth the effort.

I thought I had landed a monster though.

Nothing beats the time my brother literally caught a boot though ahhahaa.

Edited by AKRISONER

A buddy of mine snagged an old pickeral rig in the holland river while fishing for mud cats, as it started to come up you could see it had 2 fish still on it. Well when the line on the rig snapped his jighead came out at 100mph and smoked him right above the eye, lucky he didnt lose it.

Gotta be careful when you hook old rigs they can let go at any time

I once got my anchor snagged and after cleating off and a back drag I retrieved another anchor. The new anchor was a 28lb modified plow so it now sits in place of my old one.

Art

A few years back CT in Woody had one of those tent sales things, In a box I found a bug head net just tangles with lures. I aske the GM and friend how it came to be? He told me that people had opend the packs and didn't like them and dropped them on the hat, it built up really bad and I took it for $2. Didn't bother trying, just cut everying out! probaly $30 worth!

back in the late 80s early 90s when the Thames river had a great run of walleye in the spring in the Delaware area and the guys lined the shore all of march and april,I knew of someone that took an old mattress burned it with gas til it had nothing but the coils left,forced in a several bricks to help submerge it and drop it in one of the best and most popular holes. Then when the summer came and water levels dropped he would retrieve the mattress coils full of jigs ,rapalas and whatever else.

We did this exact same thing when we were kids. Near our family's hunt camp, there's a river that looks great from the road. Looks like it would hold tons of fish. Unfortunately, there's no fish in it. But it sure would trap the shore fishing tourists. People would stop all the time to donate lures to the mattress springs.

Things we do when we were kids, eh? Lol

I was trolling a rapala on pickerel river a while back when i hooked into what i thought was an absolute pig...after a long fight with drag being pulled back and forth, I pulled out a diawa bait caster rod and reel with line lure and everything. It looked like it had been submerged for a couple of weeks as it was starting to get covered in a bit of mud and algae.

I ended up looking up the value of the set up and unfortunately for me it was just a cheap set up so the effort to clean up the reel wasnt worth the effort.

I thought I had landed a monster though.

Nothing beats the time my brother literally caught a boot though ahhahaa.

Caught myself a decent spinning combo trolling on Six Mile some 10 years back.

That looks like a mess you see on power lines beside a lake . Any one remember the old sanctuary cable

in Thornbury under the bridge , I remember it as a kid and thinking how many lures were stuck on it and coming up with a

plan to get them . Never did come up with a plan ! You guys are talking about mattress springs , I can remember many years

ago sneaking into a "private" speck pond every opener and the pond was full of these old mattress springs put there by the

owner to keep young "adventurous" kids from fishing his pond . Lost many mepps to those springs but caught the odd monster

trout as well , ahhhhhhhhh the good ole days :whistling::canadian: