what do you cover your boat up with

skinny

ok so I bought a boat a year ago Oct and it came with a big grey tarp i thought that was great as I figured it was prob expensive and It would work nice.

Well I stored the boat with it covering it and when i went in Feb to get it because of some needed repair I found out the tarp was crap. It had let water through it and a lot of it .

I got the boat home and then off to tsc and bought another grey tarp

well it didn't make it thru the summer and I found spots leaking.

so for the winter last year I had the boat shrink wrapped and then i stored it.

I just brought it home today . i haven't broke into the shrink wrap yet because I don't have a way to cover it up

looking for ideas.

for reasonable cost

I have a cover I bought off ebay.

But that's not all, I store it in one of those portable garages as well.

I found out long ago that leaving it outside even with a good cover and supports that the covers would fail fairly quickly.

I figure you could spend $500-$600 on a high end cover or $150 on a cover and in my case $500 on a pair of fabric garages on sale to get me a 10X40 garage and still cover my boat from dust etc.

Gives me room inside to work on my truck or sled as well. ;)

The covers for my garages have been lasting about 5 years @ about $160 each to replace when they start to leak.

My inexpensive boat cover is 8 years old and in good shape. :D

1907997_899595976733409_4043360344064004

Edited by DRIFTER_016

My boat came with a custom snap on mooring/travel cover. It's got great supports, and is a sweet cover, but I am sure if I left it exposed It would rot with the sun/elements etc, so I put a cheap cover that i bought on clearance at princess auto over top of it. So far so good. My duck boat/tinner has a cover that I bought at bass pro for $100 on sale 5 years ago. That one has been outside the entire time and still hasn't failed me. As long as they are supported well boat covers will last quite a while!

I don't really have room for a portable garage

( tried a canopy from ctc but to big for driveway

So I'm stuck with some sort of cover or tarp

Not sure I have funds to get a mooring cover done but might look into

If the tarp(s) you have are in good shape, as in no rips or rot holes; try spraying it/them with Thompsons water seal. Yes I know it's meant for wood; but it will work on cloth or nylon tarp; if the material you're spraying will allow it to soak in. With a garden sprayer, soak the tarp with the sealer and then let it completely dry for a few days out of the weather. It'll stink at first but the smell will dissipate after a week or so.

We would spray the canvas canopy that covered the tobacco tying machine and no more drips coming through the tarp.

Dan.

for the summer the canadian tire/princess auto boat covers are more than adequate. they should be going on sale soon if not already

for the winter, when I kept mine outside, i build an a-frame out of 2/4s & 1/2s and cover with a tarp. tarp is usually good for 2 seasons before it needs replacement.

for the summer the canadian tire/princess auto boat covers are more than adequate. they should be going on sale soon if not already

for the winter, when I kept mine outside, i build an a-frame out of 2/4s & 1/2s and cover with a tarp. tarp is usually good for 2 seasons before it needs replacement.

Walmart has an inexpensive trailerable cover as well that I've used for the past few years. For price and years of use, it's tough to beat.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/classic-accessories-stormpro-boat-cover/6000088444610

I had one custom made at a local shop that does this kind of work.

This one has snaps all around a couple tie downs for the back.

I can even keep the trolling motor attached.

Re-inforced at the major contact points - windsheild and along the back corners.

Only a real hard driving rain while trailering do I see some water getting in.

Pretty easy to throw on and take off.

I have a mooring cover that was made for the boat and is 20 years old. It looks to be Sunbrella material. I shrink warp it every winter. I was looking at getting a travel cover from the folks in Dunnville that Fish Farmer gave the contact number. It will be around $700.00 made of Sunbrella. I wouldn't need to shrink wrap it every winter. I think I'm going that route as shrink wrapping is around $225.00 now. It will pay for itself in a few years. It's all about budget, if affordable get a proper travel cover that seals 100%. I have not heard great things about the covers sold at Marinas and Canadian Tire.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I was about to throw out a 18' dolphino pool when a light bulb went off (a cheap one).

I cut the blow up sides off and had it ready for the fall.

The vinyl is pretty thick so I just used a couple saw horses and threw the tarp on top.

The pool uses heavy bars on each side to stabilize and it did the trick through the winter.

I also zigzaged rope around the bottom to prevent the wind causing problems.

Works great!

BUT... Its a bi$%^&ch to take off as its pretty heavy and stiff in the cold.

Might be coming home with me this year when I find a spot in the backyard for it.