Ice out lakers

My buddy and I were at lake Joe near Pt Carling today. We marked lots---and I do mean lots---of fish, presumably lake trout suspended at 10-20 ft deep. We mostly slow trolled lures such as fairly big Little Cleos and deep crankbaits with nary a bite. I think the lures were running deep enough as we both hooked bottom once or twice in maybe 15 ft of water. We also did a very slow drift with sinkers and worms over an area where we were marking fish i.e. ice fishing technique. again---nada. The water temp on my FF showed as zero. What gives??? Does the water need to warm a bit?

We had never tried for ice-out lakers before.

I usually troll body baits around dropoffs this time of year, should be fairly easy to tie into them, especially on Joe. If that doesn't work for you then try jigging minnows or spoons, always works, even in the summer. You have to play around with speed, baits, etc when trolling, its possible you were going too slow if you were hitting bottom a lot.

Given that it was zero at the surface I would assume that it was zero all the way to the bottom.

If it's still that cold, they'll be all over the place. Jig them out of deep water just like you would icefishing.

There were lots of well defined fish 'arches' about 15 ft down but sometimes just off bottom. we went from 50 ft to 10 ft or so. My guess is that until the surface warms a bit the fish have little incentive to move near the surface. When it does I guess they would move to warmer water near the surface to get more energy until the temps reach the upper limit of their 'comfort zone". Does this theory hold water? (Ever met a fisherman w/o a theory?? :angel: )

Ice went out here 2 days ago, and we got into a few Lakers today. The flatlining bite was very slow, but will pick up once the surface gains a few more degrees. Jigging bucktails and gulp minnows on steep drops like you would ice fishing is a good bet for when the water is still icy cool.

Match the hatch so to speak....silver/grey/black Rapala

I'd agree, I like perch pattern as well.

At ice out I exlusively fish the top 10' of water, and seem to do well.

It might just be my thoughts on the matter but I tend to find the active fish will come up for the bait.

From my experience on fishing ice out lakers is try to find some warmer water believe it or not .

The warmest part of the lake will be in the north section , start there . The lake has to wake up

from the winter and start the cycle of lake life . Once this happens (usually around 2 weeks of

ice out) the lake trout fishing heats up . No need to fish deep , just make sure the bait is a long

way from the boat while trolling especially in pressured waters or clear water . As for baits try

to match the hatch . I like to use rapala tail dancers or deep husky jerks in natural colours or cleo/williams

spoons . I find jigging very productive but this pattern doesn't really get going till the early summer

when the lakers are schooling in deeper water as apposed to being scattered at this time of year .

Good luck , can't wait for my own laker adventure in a week :canadian:

Gull Lake, Haliburton yesterday (I hope my boss isn't reading this), most water was 45 degrees, I found some 54 degree water and caught 1 laker, most were suspended down 40 to 60 over deep water.

Bassman is up on Kash and same thing, suspended fish.

I've heard old timers say "when the poplar leaves are the size of dimes" and "when the blackflies are at their peak" is the best time for spring lakers, brookies, splake. There's only a few dopey black flies and the buds haven't popped at all. I think next weekend will be better fishing.

Thx for the comments, guys.

I think the temp function on my FF was probably not working but the water was bloody cold. Dipped my hand in and it felt like ice fishing. My guess is that it was about 4-6 deg.

We didn't bother with buying minnows as we thought that some of the lures would work. We hope to get back up sometime mid-week to give those fish one more chance!! We might try minnows but I'm sure I'll try some of the tips offered here.

Fished another new lake today. Found a creek mouth with a pod of fish hanging off the mouth and a couple more flatlining on a steep breaking shoreline running as close to the shoreline as possible. Cyclops was the ticket again