BOAT INSURANCE DO I NEED IT?

jameshandz

HEY EVERYONE,

I JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST TRAILER UP ON PIGEON LAKE AND LUCKILY A 14 FT TIN BOAT CAME WITH IT. NOT MUCH FOR SOME PEOPLE BUT WHEN I WAS LAND LOCKED LAST YEARS THIS MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE. I HAVE A PLEASURE CRAFT OPERATORS CARD ALREADY BUT I WANT TO KNOW IF I PUT A 9.9 HP ON IT DO I NEED TO INSURE IT ON THE WATER? I WONT BE TRAILERING IT ANYWHERE AS I DONT HAVE ONE AN IT STAYS THERE YEAR ROUND. IF ANY ONE KNOWS THAT WOULD BE GREAT OUR IF YOU HAVE A LINK I CAN LOOKING INTO . EVERYWHERE IVE READ SOME PEOPLE SAY I NEED INSURANCE SOME PEOPLE SAY I DO NOT .

THANKS IN ADVANCE .

:Gonefishing:

Yeah,

It isn't needed, but it is always good piece of mind to have it. I know lots of people with similar setups that don't. I thought about running mine without but was quickly told the advantages and if I ever hit a rock or something, it will pay for itself.

It's covered under your house insurance when you're not towing it. Covered under your auto insurance when towing. I would inform my house insurance carrier only if its a very expensive boat that you'd want replaced if something happened. if it's a new boat worth a decent amount then I'd call your house insurance to see if it's covered and how much to cover it should it be stolen or catch fire.

I agree with Bill.

Dan O.

It's covered under your house insurance when you're not towing it. Covered under your auto insurance when towing. I would inform my house insurance carrier only if its a very expensive boat that you'd want replaced if something happened. if it's a new boat worth a decent amount then I'd call your house insurance to see if it's covered and how much to cover it should it be stolen or catch fire.

I agree with Bill.

Dan O.

As you have already heard, it's not a requirement. However, I know of one good friend who was out fishing (anchored) and his wife almost lost her leg because someone in a "14' Tinny with a 9.9" ran into them at wide open throttle. He couldn't see them because he weighed 200lbs. and the bow of the boat was up in the air so far he had no idea what was ahead of him.

He is thankful he had insurance. Just a word of caution and enough said.