Lets see your rides. NF

DanD

Here's my baby.

1950 Chevy Styleline Deluxe

After Waxing 002.jpg

After Waxing 003.jpg

Outside she looks stock; but there has been a few mods under the hood.

IMG_0105.jpg

4.8Lt Vortec V8 with a 4L60E 4 speed automatic. Rewired the car to accommodate the fuel injection and computer controls.

That turned the old girl into a nice cruiser out on the hwy; getting approx 34-35 mpg.

Just installed a class 3 receiver tow hitch, so this year's trip up to Elk Lake; she'll also be one of our tow vehicles.

What land vehicle is your pride and joy?

Dan.

What a beauty of an everyday driver Dan. What was the original power plant Dan?

Dad had a 51 Chev when I was born, your's is very similar to the one I have seen pictures of. I remember chewing on the leather seats of his 55 Chev 2 door hard top, hey I was 4, Hunters green and white, what a beauty that was. He doesn't remember what exactly powered it but it was an 8, probably small block. I called him inside and the identical 55 was being sold on Barrett Jacksons auction many years ago while we were watching TV. It went for over 100K. He couldn't believe it

I've sold them all and am kicking my butt for it now. But that was at a time when I needed to buy a roof for over my head. I was well on my way to putting together a cool collection as I never sold a vehicle I ever had until I was 24 and got married. I had parked in my uncles barn, 63 Pontiac Parisian 2 door hard top, 65 Chev Impala 2 door SS, 65 Ford Galaxy 500, 67 MGB, 70 Ford T-Bird, 2 door hard top, 69 Mercedes Benz 280S, 70 Ford Econoline Van (shaggin waggin), 72 Triumph TR-6, 76 Chev Monte Carlo, 76 L-88 Corvette. Plus I had a 73 Harley Sportster and a Hard Tail that was 5 different bikes of different years. I sold them all in the summer of 79 to put the down stroke on my first matrimonial home. Then I bought a 79' Audi 5000s and drove it for 9 years as the family car. Then after I got divorced I started another collection and sold all of them in 1996 when I took my early pension and took that money to buy a cottage. The 2 cars I wish I still had was the 72 Triumph TR6 and 83 Benz 560 SEC 2 door 5.6 litre rocket (from my second collection), both were beauties, I was more into the European stuff for some crazy reason.

If I had a few of those first cars now I think 500K wouldn't be an exaggeration for what they are going for at auction. An identical 69 Benz went for over 100K USD last week on Barrett Jacksons, maybe more because that when I shut off the TV in disgust!

My 3rd vehicle is a 19 foot StarCraft now.

If I was smart enough to post pics I would. I am as far as getting a few on Photobucket, so I'm trying.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

My current ride is a 2013 Lariat and is without doubt the best vehicle I've ever owned. I had a 2010 before this one but decided it was time to upgrade and get one pretty well fully loaded and it was well worth the money.

Pulls my big ole glass boat like it's not even behind me.

006-1-1.jpg

Out of all my previous vehicles though, and there's been alot over the years, the one I wish I still had was my 1965 Parisienne. I bought it in '68 when it was only 3 years old and it was mint.

Mine was identical to this one 'cept it was green with white upholstery.

I drove it it for 5 years then sold it but have kicked my butt for selling it ever since.

They sure don't make them like this any more.

pontiac_bonneville_1965_rot_l.jpg

Edited by lew

The original engine was an inline 6 cyl, 216 cu" with 92 hp on its best day.

On Trailer 019.jpg

Three speed manual trans with a 4:11 gear in the differential.

Halfway through an intersection, you'd be looking for second gear; out on the hwy trying to do 60mph, the tac was running about 4200 rpm.

With today's type of driving, I knew that the poor old 6 wouldn't be around for long; not without blowing it up.

Now at 60mph with the 290hp injected engine, overdrive trans and a 3:42 gear, the engine is running about 1200rpm.

I love it pulling out onto the 401; everyone is trying there best to stay in front of me. (They don't want to get stuck behind an old car.) They give up most times, when they realize I'm 3 or 4 car lengths ahead of them before I leave the on ramp. LOL

Lew.

I have a customer that has a 64 Chevy convertible with a 283cu" in it. That car is a dream to drive below 70mph. Above that speed the car turns into a wing and starts to get lighter and lighter, until you know you had better let off the throttle. These older cars were not very aerodynamic; but a blast to drive.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

Lew, I have a customer that has a 64 Chevy convertible with a 283cu" in it.

That's another one of my favorite cars Dan, I worked with a fella that bought a brand new '64 convertible when they came out and still remember the day I 1st saw it. Red with black interior and just beautiful.

I say it all the time, new cars are obviously much safer and more reliable than the "old days" but they sure as heck don't have near the style or pizzaz of years ago.

Used to be a car would go down the street and you instantly new the year, the model and probably what engine was in it.

Today they all look the same going down the road and I don't know if it's a Honda or a Rolls Royce :lol:

Edited by lew

I know what you mean Lew.

I'm a mechanic, working the trade and I have to go looking at the nameplate or run the VIN too see what the hell it is.

Oh sure it's a Ford Focus; but what sub model is it. The 2Lt engine Focus has 10 different subs; that all carry different options for suspension, steering, brakes and body differences. LOL

Dan.

As Lew said those were the days you knew exactly what year and model a car was going down the road. We lived at a stop and would play a game sitting on the front stoop. The first kid to call "it" won. Today my wife will ask me what type of car is this or that, until I can see the badge on the trunk I have no clue. Trucks are more recognizable but cars, who knows? A mass of plastic is just that. In the 60's an uncle had a Studebaker Avanti, now there was a car.

They say they don't make things the way they used to, in most cases that's definitely true. Cars today are light years ahead of those classics. My 63 Parisienne didn't have power steering or power brakes. Turning the wheel was a workout and if you wanted to stop fast you better start a block ahead of where you want to stop. I have used the emergency brakes many times back in the day.. Most people today don't even know where the emergency break is. I was told by someone they didn't have an emergency brake but they have a parking brake, that would be my beautiful wife.

I don't want to hijack this thread so I will ask Dan, what was your favorite car over the years?

In the 60's an uncle had a Studebaker Avanti, now there was a car.

Studebaker had some really flashy cars back then and one of my favorites was the Hawk.

Edited by lew

I don't want to hijack this thread so I will ask Dan, what was your favorite car over the years?

Oh that's easy.

1969 Chevelle Malibu SS

396 cu", 4 speed manual and 3:73 gear. Back then you could special order cars and change up things as the car was being built. My dad would not help my brother finance this car; if he thought it was a "sports car". To dad anything with bucket seats was one; so my brother ordered this SS with a bench seat. LOL

chevelle.jpg

Just an on-line pic.

That was my first car; I bought it off of my brother, when it was 6 years old and pretty tired from the beating he gave it. I was 15 then and spent the best part of the next year getting it ready for a safety and for me to get my driver's license.

OH man the memories of the street racing and the view from the back seat at the drive-in (what movie was that?). I sold it and have never found another that I could afford to buy; but some day I'll find one. Hopefully, I;ll still be able to get into the back seat. LOL

Dan.

Sorry to double post.

But studebakers were way too far ahead of the times, compared to the other manufactures; people didn't understand the cost difference. They were the first to make seat belts, double latching doors, safety hooks for hoods, reinforcement beams inside passenger doors, dual braking system as standard equipment; the list is long, with all their attempts to make their cars the safest ones out there. Even my 50, seat belts were not even an option, when it left the factory; if you wanted them, you'd have the dealer install them at a large (relative terms) fee.

Dan.

393050_14606544_1987_Buick_Grand%2BNatio

GM's first real attempt in the 80's to put a reasonably priced muscle car out there for the working man.

They went like stink compared to the other smoggers out there, during the big emissions crunch.

Nice car.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

Yah had to ask eh Dan ! I actually found the time 2 Falls ago to get one of mine running.. well yah it is a Chrysler product, it required a battery and turning the key after sitting for 8 years!

A day with the 'Bird.

I've ignored a good friend for way too long. It's been at least 7 years since we spent any quality time together. Today I made the effort and had an enjoyable few hours with her. The reward was hearing her sing again and in appreciation I gave her a nice sponge bath!

Posted by Wayne O'Shea on Monday, October 22, 2012

My beast...'13 Sierra 5.3. It's too bad its getting so hard to find a half ton in a extra cab/long bed configuration. Guess I'll have to spend a lot of time with this one.

WP_20150422_18_38_08_Pro_zpsgmhtjp9p.jpg

It's got a Flowmaster super 10 exhaust setup with Gibson headers and a custom Diablosport 91 octane tune, and just a 2" front level and 33" rubber for some extra clearance. Think I'm done with the engine work but id like to add an extra leaf sometime soon. Don't like the rear end sag when my snowmobiles in the box.