Grand River Upstream of Belwood

netminder

Just wondering if there's any info around about the Grand upstream of Belwood? All the internetting and Googling I can do has come up empty. The GRCA website has little info on anything even in the Grand Valley area. At first glance I almost thought it might be a decent speckled trout fishery. Any wisdom is appreciated.

Just wondering if there's any info around about the Grand upstream of Belwood? All the internetting and Googling I can do has come up empty. The GRCA website has little info on anything even in the Grand Valley area. At first glance I almost thought it might be a decent speckled trout fishery. Any wisdom is appreciated.

There are no top predators in this stretch of river and summer temps are a tiny bit to high for Brook Trout survival. You can find the odd dink smallmouth around. Many years ago @92 we had a plan in place and a commitment of eggs from the Bow River for stocking it and trying to create a resident rainbow trout fishery but whirling disease was running rampant in the rockies at that time so it ended up being nixed. We tried to find a suitable resident population here in Ontario but there is really only one fishery here and it was deemed to fragile to use for brood stock/egg collection.

Edited by Musky or Specks

Great fishery, lots of water to explore. Smallies, pike and carp are the main fish. Down toward the lake, you can get the odd spawning walleye and catfish, perch and crappie. Come in and see me, I have a map of the area I can give you

Dan