Fish Pics Galore

Paulus

Hi all,

it's been a while since I posted (life being that way... sometimes...) but I always love to share my "jumping steelhead" pics with this group. I was down at the local dam this weekend, with my 300mm zoom lens, hoping for good results. A tiny bit of cropping & a few adjustments later and... you be the judge!

IMG_8900.JPG

IMG_8877.JPG

IMG_8852.JPG

IMG_8843.JPG

IMG_8864.JPG

IMG_8963.JPG

p.-

Good lens, good lighting, fast shutter speed and a bit of luck. Paul has it down pat.

That's about it, and a sore buttocks...I sat there for an hour with my eye stuck to the viewfinder, doing my best to click whenever I saw one jump. So I snapped well over 300 shots, most of which were either out of focus or had a tail in it or just a head etc... Some of them were just really crisp freeze-frame pictures of running water, lol. . Another trick, if you have a dslr (probably works with upper end point and shoot cameras too), is to press the shutter button halfway and keep it pressed, while you wait for the next fish to make its move. That way, the camera is already focused when the fish passes through the sight & it doesn't waste any extra time before engaging the shutter.

Thanks for the kind words everyone :).

p.-

Well done budday. Seeing steelies do their thing is sometimes more entertaining than drifting for them.. Somethimes.. tisk. B)

As-tu des plans cette fin de semaine?!

cheers

HD

uh, this weekend? I'm not sure really............. :whistling:

;)

p.-

Depending on your camera I'd be using back button focusing with AI-Servo. You're losing a lot of time by using one button for both auto focus and shutter.

Also if you know there jumping in a specific spot, manual focus the lens and use a remote shutter. So you can just sit there in your lawn chair and press a button anytime one jumps, if your DOF is deep enough it should work. Also use high speed continuous for your 'Drive' mode.

No go back and try that, lol!