Canoe identification N/F

Skud

I bought a canoe in a package deal with some fishing equipment and furniture. I will be selling the canoe but I don't know who the manufacture is because there are no tags or labels on the hull. Does anybody recognize the craftmanship? Any help is appreciated.

Canoe.jpg

Canoe%202.jpg

Could possibly be a " Red House Canoe " the seats look like Jim Holman's handiwork. He was a neighbour back in Pelham , couple miles west of Fonthill on the Canborough Road. He built canoes starting back in the 60's , I doubt he is still at it, he was a vet so he be pushing 90 now. His canoes were cedar strip and covered with light fiberglass cloth and resin instead of canvas. He was very good at wicker work and also did snow shoes and some wicker furniture. He has a large freighter canoe he made at the Canoe Museum.

I would think that somewhere on the inside of the canoe there would be an engraving or something for identification. I can't find a damn thing.

As for price I am not sure. Finding out who made it will help with knowing it's worth.

Edited by Skud

Side view photos would help a lot as some canoes had recurves that were unique. Is there a shoe keel (about 3/4"x2 1/2" running most of the length of the canoe below waterline).

But I would strongly suggest going to Wooden Canoe Heritage Association and poke around there. The Canadian Canoe Museum might be able to identify if they were to see photos but you'd need more photos and some closeups showing the deck etc..

As for value, much will depend on, as you say, the manufacturer, vintage and condition. If the planks/ribs etc are soft and punky, the value will drop as you can expect. Is it canvas covered, vinyl or glassed. The latter will again drop the value quite a bit as it make restoration a royal PITA.

Don't be lowballed, look around at what other used cedar canvas canoes are worth and use that as a ballpark.

Edited by woodenboater

ok, just saw the other photos. The keel is very thin compared to canoes I've owned. If the blue is original that again would help. What intrigues me is the small, what appears to be metal, cap on the deck under the stem band. Have never seen that before and this will be a key clue imo.

good luck and let us know what you find out

Funny thing looking at that beautiful canoe. My uncle had a cedar tiller boat with the same style bow cap as that canoe. The boat also had similar wicker benches. I still remember when we would strip and reglass the bottom every few years.

Unless it is a repair , that small dark wood triangle on the end of the deck at both ends is a pretty unique feature, could help with the ID if it is a trademark of the manufacturer. " Chestnut " was another well known maker, think they were in the Muskokas. I'd look at $1500 as a minimum, more if it is a desireable collectable.

edit: It is not the neighbour I originally thought, looking at an old pic he had an thin ash or oak board running lengthwise down the centre. I remember this one being built, glad it is still being put to good use.

http://www.canoemuseum.ca/blog/2014/09/11/season-of-the-beast

Edited by dave524

The dark material at each end of the canoe is actually some sort of soft, flexible cloth material. The metal (brass) strip on each end continues down to the bottom of the canoe for a couple of feet to protect from rock damage I presume. The wood has no rot what so ever, solid as a rock. It does have an outer coating of fiberglass I think that is not original. I will find out how long ago it was done but the canoe has barely been used since. I will post more pics tonight.