Made some river floats. (Test results added)

misfish

Some great craftsmanship in this post.... Just wanna say.

Yeah, no kidding.

I'm not familiar with wood lathes at all. The only lathes I've seen were used for machining metal. For metal, as most of you know, the cutting tool is held in some sort of jig that allows the dist from the tool to the centerline of the work to be adjusted. It looks like you just hold the sanding block in your hand as the wood turns, correct?

Great idea with the drills, Drifter. Your skill look a lot more advanced than mine though, so I don't know if I could build a lathe out of old drill(s).

Re cedar--- I have some of that from a tree that was cut down on my property. Looking on-line I see that it's only about 20% more dense than balsa, so I might give it a try with that.

My Prazzi lathe is a metal lathe.

You can see the tool holder, the blue cutting tool is mounted in it.

The tool holder is a turret tool holder that rotates. It can hold a few different cutters @ the same time and rotates so you can use the tool you want.

I used to get most of my balsa @ Hobby Hobby in Streetsville.

I actually got a batch last time I came to visit.

Really need to do something with it. :D

It looks like you just hold the sanding block in your hand as the wood turns, correct?

Correct

found this image on the internet

http://www.rockler.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Lathe-Sanding-Speed.jpg

Re cedar--- I have some of that from a tree that was cut down on my property. Looking on-line I see that it's only about 20% more dense than balsa, so I might give it a try with that.

I use the local eastern white cedar because I think it is a bit more dense than the western red cedar - just my feeling when working with this wood

Bluegill, I make my own slip floats VERY similar to yours. I use them mostly thru the ice. One thing I like to do is use a small snap on the bottoms, instead of (what looks like) the wire you use. The snap makes them removeable, so I can take them on/off as I please. Comes in handy a lot. I always have a bobber stop on my rigs, just in case I need it, and often find myself using the stop to mark depths, especially suspending fish like crappies and lakers, where the fish are. Works pretty slick.

S.

Bluegill, I make my own slip floats VERY similar to yours. I use them mostly thru the ice. One thing I like to do is use a small snap on the bottoms, instead of (what looks like) the wire you use. The snap makes them removeable, so I can take them on/off as I please. Comes in handy a lot. I always have a bobber stop on my rigs, just in case I need it, and often find myself using the stop to mark depths, especially suspending fish like crappies and lakers, where the fish are. Works pretty slick.

S.

Well, I think we fish very similarly?

Look at this old thing, with snap on the end, a modified CT bobber I used for years. But it's more fun for me to fish with a bit nicer float...

bobber_zpstmg4iltp.jpg