Made some river floats. (Test results added)

misfish

Awhile back I had asked a few questions about making floats.

With the price of these things today, I decided to make some of my own. These are my firsts, and know the top colors need to be more vibrant, but ones got to start some where.

You will notice I have the top pegs taller then norm. My thinking is to keep the line out of the water more at the float. is this good or bad as far as setting the hook?

Your comments on anything I need to improve or change, would be helpful.

attachicon.giffloats 011f.jpg

attachicon.giffloats 002f.jpg

The total cost on material was $14 and change. That is including the paint and stain and satin varnish. I still have enough of that to make another 100 if need be. :D

Looks good. How do you attach them to your line?

Looks great Brian.

I've made some as well but with a dremel.

I prefer shorter stems as i find the line wraps around it at times.

Try a paint called Createx sold at michaels. its very bright. I just dip in primer first, then a few coats of the paint then varnish. I'm no expert but it works for me.

Are you using one piece for the stem, which can sometimes be hard to drill through both centers, at the top and bottom or using 2 pieces, which is much easier to drill into both centers, drilling halfway or almost to the halfway point and gluing both pieces into the float body. The latter is much easier, and centers well

I started out trying to make them with one stem, but found the bit was going off center. So now Im going in from both ends. Quick and easy.

Thats a sweet set up. Mind if I try making one like that? I am looking for some kind of decal I can put on mine as well. Nice job there.

No slip tube necessary.

Just one ring at the end of the float. Way better than through the whole float.

You can easy make the ring and secure with a bit of shrink tube.

This float I made from eastern cedar, always use it as slip float.

slip_float_zpsm7bhltgx.jpg

Edited by Brian B

Looks great Brian.

I've made some as well but with a dremel.

I prefer shorter stems as i find the line wraps around it at times.

Try a paint called Createx sold at michaels. its very bright. I just dip in primer first, then a few coats of the paint then varnish. I'm no expert but it works for me.

Sorry missed this. Thanks for the tip Dave. Found it on line. Will be stopping by to pick some up.

Thats a sweet set up. Mind if I try making one like that? I am looking for some kind of decal I can put on mine as well. Nice job there.

Just googled for the fish image I was searching for.
Printed it out on paper the size I needed and varnished it
Edited by Bluegill

Well I put 3 - #3 shot on a line and attached to the floats. All the balsa floats passed with flying colors. The others,well,they will be used for crappies and perch jigs.LOL

Lesson learned here.

So looks like I need to get me some balsa and restock.LOL

Well I put 3 - #3 shot on a line and attached to the floats. All the balsa floats passed with flying colors. The others,well,they will be used for crappies and perch jigs.LOL

Lesson learned here.

So looks like I need to get me some balsa and restock.LOL

Nothing wrong with learning Brian, we have all now learned from yourmistake...lol! :P It's no mistake though, it's just a different model. ;) Great looking floats!

I use a home made lathe to turn my floats.

I also turn my rod handle cork on it.

The lathe is made from 2 old Makita battery drills.

The head stock has the motor in it. It is cooled by 2 computer fans as I am running it @ 12 volts and it's a 7.2 volt motor.

The tail stock is just chuck and support bearings, no motor.

I run it off either a 12 volt power supply or one of my 12 volt batteries.

Shaping floats is done with various grades of sandpaper glued to pieces of MDF or aluminium.

Shaping my rod handles is done first with chisels and finished using the sandpaper.

Cork_Lathe.jpg

I turn my floats on a mandrel made of 6-32 threaded rod with threaded sleeves to hold in the chucks.

PA150132_zpsd5b41dca.jpg

PA150131_zps013b8fb3.jpg

My real seat inserts are done on this bad boy!!!! :D

NewToy.jpg

What tools do you to shape the cork/

thx

Well, as I wrote I don't really like cork. For my floats I use local eastern white cedar.

Whatever, I have an old small lathe and for shaping cork or cedar I use sanding blocks with different sanding papers.

I build these sanding blocks, each fits 1/4 sanding sheet.

sanding_block_zpsth3kkbaa.jpg

Edited by Bluegill