Replacing boat floor... Progress report

mike rousseau

Here's day 1 on my boat floor project...

Well I got the floor gutted today...

image_1.jpg

Then got the wood cut to fit... 5/8 pressure treated...

image_2.jpg

Just gotta cut holes for the seat bases... Glue the vinyl... Put the vinyl wrapped pieces of floor in the boat... Drill and rivet... And install seat bases...

Some pressure treat will eat an aluminum boat. Not sure which one to watch out for but you may want to look into it.

X2

Google " aluminum boat pressure treated wood " I wouldn't take a chance

Edited by dave524

I've also heard that's all overrated. Just paint 3/4 plywood with several coats, and away you go! That, or some wood sealant.

I, in no way am condoning any of these two practices, it's just what I've heard.

But I do echo the comments regarding the pressure treated stuff. Id read a little before finalizing your project.

Edited by Smokercrafty

Well it looks like I have some thinking to do here...

I've been reading up on it cause of you all...

A solution I read is spray "plasti dip" on the aluminum stringers and I can coat the bottom of the plywood with it as well...

I wish I would have known before I did the work and cut up over $100 of plywood...

I'll keep reading up I guess and make a decision...

"For years" is the key part of Sinkers post... which may equal the fact he has the old PT that was done with Arsenic. It didn't react with metals and why all the old deck brackets were simply galvinized. Now with the new PT.. since 2004... you have to use Stainless brackets and special screws or they will quickly deteriorate.

Foam weather strip tape on the stringers Mike to isolate them and the correct "deck" screws and it will last the rest of your life. I wouldn't be redoing it...

"For years" is the key part of Sinkers post... which may equal the fact he has the old PT that was done with Arsenic. It didn't react with metals and why all the old deck brackets were simply galvinized. Now with the new PT.. since 2004... you have to use Stainless brackets and special screws or they will quickly deteriorate.

Foam weather strip tape on the stringers Mike to isolate them and the correct "deck" screws and it will last the rest of your life. I wouldn't be redoing it...

Thank you sir...

Spar urethane is what a lot of guys seal floors and transom wood with. A few coats and it should last for years and Seeing how you already bought and cut the pt plywood, no point in wasting the materials. Well this and the steps irishfield posted regarding specific screws and foam to prevent galvanic corrosion

Air flow is good, some kind of bond breaker like 1/8 plastic horseshoe shims will work, keeps the PT and Alum separate...

If you use staples underneath as well as contact cement, get SS ones.

On my floor replacement I picked up two little chrome air vents from the local boat dealer, put one at the from, and one at the back...

Looks good mike !!! Yes great idea from pigeon troller about the air vents !!!! And prevent wood rot and keep her dry and air circulating under there as well !!!! Keep us updated with pics !!! I might want to replace the carpet on the front of my Lund where my front trolling motor seat is and replace it with vinyl with no slip coating !!!!! Cheers ..... Can't wait to get on the water !!!!

Yea, a lot of great tips here already Mike. I wouldn't sweat it with regards to what you have. I built a casting deck last year out of framed 2 X 2's that I gave a quick shot of paint to, prior to carpeting it. Then fastened it with a few 3" deck screws.

My philosophy is this, in 3,4, 5, or even 10 years when, and if it molds or deteriorates, I'll pull the screws, and toss the whole deck out, then start all over.

No stress! Just GET 'ER DONE and go fishing! That's the important part!

I did a boat floor 10 year ago. I used regular 3/4" plywood, but, before installing the plywood I coated the underside with fiibreglass resin. Mix the resin with the appropriate hardener & roll it on with a paint roller. The resin will dry to a rock hard finish. I know cause I spilled some on my workbench & it's still there today. I sold that boat to a friend & the floor is still in very good condition. Your job looks good!

well done Mike I wrapped my carpet around my PT boards to keep them off the aluminium 14 years ago and it is doing fine. I also do not put the boat away wet using open decks and a fan just to keep mold and deterioration from happening.

Art

Well considering I've already ordered $35 of aluminium rivets... And the cost of extra materials to "hopefully" protect the boat from corroding...

I think I might call it a learning experience and get some regular plywood...

Just frustrating throwing away $100

At least I have a good template to trace... Lol

Often the foam is holding a lot of water, 3-4-500 pounds if the old floor was rotted out. Many good threads on that at iboats; even closed cell foam will take on water over time. Get the boat weighed, your better off with no foam than water saturated foam.

Often the foam is holding a lot of water, 3-4-500 pounds if the old floor was rotted out. Many good threads on that at iboats; even closed cell foam will take on water over time. Get the boat weighed, your better off with no foam than water saturated foam.

99% of the foam was bone dry....

I did my pt floor about 5 yrs ago with the new PT that is supposed to eat aluminum. No issues.

Ive also built hundreds of decks in my life, and never seen a joist hanger rot off either.

Some people worry too much.

If your concerned, paint the underside of the ply, and anywhere it touches BARE aluminum and your good to go.

S.

Do some more research before throwing away the PT. Irish's suggestion sounds pretty good and coupled with sealing the wood sounds like it should work well. I sealed my wood with 3 coats of spar urethane and it turned out great. Definitely seal the crap of your wood so you won't have to worry in time.