2015 Baseball Thread

AKRISONER

Realistically, I don't think Toronto has much of a shot at signing Price anyways. They could pony up $200 million dollars + and he would probably still elect for a US team regardless. At this stage in his career, there are so many factors Price is considering, the money is just one component. Signing on to live in Canada wasn't likely on his agenda. I am very interested to see what team Price chooses, but I doubt Toronto was really ever in the picture.

David Price signs with the Boston Redsox.

7 years $217 million. Wow! A million dollars a game roughly. LOL.

It was fun while it lasted and I think it's exactly what the Jays needed to get the city and possibly the country back into baseball. Next year will be interesting. The executive is still building the team. I think we need one more pitcher but we'll see.

Jays didn't even put an offer on the table.........

Heres an interesting discussion though, Cleveland is looking to build outfield depth, Jays currently have 4 proven outfielders and at least 1 thats major league ready, trade 1 and someone else for Kluber?

Dunno what's the hate on David Price for. He did an outstanding job during his short tenure with the Jays. The fact is, had we not got Price to come to Toronto, the Jays would have played another October of meaningless baseball and looking forward to 2016. He was 9-1 while he was with us and not to mention the games he pitched against division rivals. Sure, we would have liked to have seen him flourish in the playoffs, but I feel Gibby's decision to rest him for 11 days and have him pitch in the bullpen had some influence on that. Plus the impression he's made with the Jays will be everlasting, especially with our own pitchers.

Anyhow, I think it says more about Rogers and their so-called "commitment" to win as being pretenders and not contenders in the super competitive AL East. Signing JA Happ doesn't exactly make me feel excited for the 2016 season for the Jays.

I agree 100% with Frank. Price was less then mediocre in the playoffs but he got us there, which is not easy to do in the MLB.

If it's true that the Jays didn't even place an offer on Price, deciding instead to go after Happ, I find that very concerning. I heard Bob McCowan mention he would offer Price 4 years at something like $25-30 million a year with a chance for Price to walk after the first two. He probably wouldn't have taken it but it would have been a show of good faith by Jays management and, more importantly, Shapiro.

We'll see how much fun the Red Sox have with Price once he starts breaking down at age 33-37. Fun fact: that is around the time the Jays would be looking to try and restock their team as it is well beyond their current "window".

There is no doubt Price helped the Jays make the playoffs last year, but I wonder how much that was symbolic and how much of that truly was on the back of his 9-1 record? The Jays were under performing badly by the trade deadline and I think Price was more of a shot in the arm to tell the team that the front office believed in them. I can honestly tell you that I think the team as it currently stands is still capable of making the playoffs. The Red Sox are by no means a complete team simply by adding Price to their rotation. With Price on the Jays they'd automatically be WS favourites without a doubt. There are still guys out there and I'm curious what someone like Greinke demands. Second tier guys like Cueto, Kazmir and Leake are still out there, and I have trouble believing the Jays don't at least take a shot at signing one of those three.

As I posted on sportsnet...

Let's play hypotheticals here.

Let's assume the Jays are a playoff team in 2016 (which I still believe they are) and Boston figures things out and Price wins 30 games for them like everyone assumes he would in Toronto. On the shoulders of his 30 win season the Red Sox are 120-42 and win the East. Toronto somehow sneaks in and wins the wildcard game and goes up against Boston in the DS. After a 4 game slugfest we're in game 5 and it's Price v. Stroman. Who would you rather have on the mound in that situation?

Jays probably couldn't match the offer, but at least, in good faith, make an attempt to keep Price. If what I'm hearing is correct and the Jays didn't even bother pitching an honest offer, that really is troubling going forward. I don't think we'll ever hear the truth and certainly can't expect Rogers to tell it like it is.

Seeing how the Jays lineup currently stands, the players are ready NOW...not in a few years.

Comparing to KC, their 2014 lineup was not much different than their WS winning 2015 lineup. They got some key pieces and were able to repeat the success of WS contenders and actually winning it all. They were moving in a forward momentum. Compared to the Jays, it feels like we're moving backwards. I'm sure it's been mentioned before and I totally agree that we still need a bonafide ace and deeper relief pitching, provided our aging HR producers stay healthy. Bautista is turning 36, Encarnacion is turning 33, and Donaldson will be 30 less than a week.

This is my big thing. Everyone keeps saying that Price will be the worst deal in baseball in 4 years. I can't argue that. They are probably right. But

1) There is no salary cap in baseball. Doesn't look like that is going to change.

2) Rogers makes billions. Billions! $210 million is just a blip on the radar. It's nothing.

The jays made it very clear when they traded all of their young prospects that they are going for it now. That's fine but they can't be half pregnant. Again, like Frank said, we have 2-3 years. Go for it all until 2017-2018 and then rebuild. If the Jays become a 72 win team after 3-4 good runs (regardless if they win a World Series or not) I will say it's worth it. They way they are going now try are setting back up to be another 85 win team.