Nipigon Help

msp

Nipigon has been on my bucket list for years now. I have decided that its time to venture up there.

This trip could possibly be during the fall of 2015 or early summer 2016.

I know many of you have been up there and have lots of info on fishing , lodges ect.....

Im looking to stay at a very low budget lodge. Im not opposed to camping but would like to have power to charge the trolling motor batteries.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

PM's preferred

You could try Onaman River Resort... I was there in late spring of 2012 & 2013 and the fishing was quite good (brook trout mainly, some lakers the first year, walleye in the river). The camp is a bit Spartan but was clean & the appliances incl. barbecue worked fine. The launching into the river was good, high water in the spring however meant not all of the docks were in so we pulled the boats each day. Would have gone back this year, but not enough time :).

Dan

Poplar Park Camping... http://www.greenstone.ca/content/municipal-parks-campgrounds

Onaman River Resort... Website must be down. Contact info I have. Late season 2015 dates will work well but the cabins are booked solid thru early season.

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70646

In Orient Bay... Royal Windsor and Reflection are options.

There's also Superior Charters. Commercial houseboat that takes ya all over the lake to fish.

All these options will provide shelter, electricity and most running water.

I've stayed at onamans, royal windsor and reflection. South East end of the lake definitely reflection. North, You have Onamans.

Ccanuck- if you thought onamans was Spartan, you can't imagine royal Windsor. Breaker box was in the shower in our cabin!! Olga is worth the price of admission tho!

Bunk, I've been trying to get a hold of Robert? Maybe his internet is down? He has mentioned in the past his internet goes out from time to time. Thought maybe you would know. Supposed to be heading up late June. Just want to double check with him on a few things.

msp- If I was going back in the fall again I would be thinking about camping in the South Bay area.... Lots of camping spots. If it was me tho, I'd book early summer 2016 at onamans or reflection.

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

I would say Onamans is a good choice.. his cabins may be full but he also has a few campsites as well. The brook trout can sometimes be tricky depending on the water temps but when you get one it will be a nice size. We launched at the ramp and stayed out on the lake for a few days at a time. I wish I could go back but I spend 2 weeks bow hunting for moose up there and the wife would divorce me if I was gone for another..

Bunk, I've been trying to get a hold of Robert? Maybe his internet is down? He has mentioned in the past his internet goes out from time to time. Thought maybe you would know. Supposed to be heading up late June. Just want to double check with him on a few things.

His site does appear down. He is hoping to improve on it too, but admits he's not tech savvy and hardly spends anytime on the Net. That and, all his hydro is all his own, sometimes maintenance of that may shut him down. Rob was away snowmobiling a fair bit this winter, it's his downtime. Fresh dump of snow up there and he's off playing but, only a month before his busy season begins now.

• 1 month later...

Robert at Onaman is always tough to get a hold of but if you can make arrangements with him it is great place to fish the lake from. Best time to get a hold of him is before 9am or after 9pm. He is out in his work shop much of the time and hard to reach.