Kiwanis Walleye Derby

KraTToR

Anyone going? I here its a bit of a gong show because so many people attend but I've never done it.

Is there any insights/strategies that you'd like to share :thumbsup_anim: ??

I'm booked into the Travel Lodge Trenton and planning to launch near Deseronto but I'm wondering if there's a marina I could leave my boat at (friday night) to prevent daily in and outs. I've heard of people waiting 2 hours or more to lauch...

I fished it last year for the first time and you are in for quite the sight because for the amount of boats that are on the water.

you can try the Stoneburg cove resort in Carrying Place, it is on Weller's Bay, just east of Brighton and Presqu'ile Bay

Weigh station # 9 is right by also

Edited by DynamicBear

I fished it last year for the first time and you are in for quite the sight because for the amount of boats that are on the water.

you can try the Stoneburg cove resort in Carrying Place, it is on Weller's Bay, just east of Brighton and Presqu'ile Bay

Weigh station # 9 is right by also

Thanks Bear, are you going this year?

Fished the openers but only fished the derby once. If you want to fish the Derby then I guess you have no choice but to be caught in the chaos but we figure since its probably going to be a late start like last year we'll let the crowds dwindle and head out that way a week or two later.

There were over 5000 fishers registered last year, there might be a decrease in the numbers because as of tomorrow, the price jumps to $50.00 a ticket. Last year was $35.00 and if you bought your ticket before April 1st this year still $35.00.

We'll see what develops from the 33% raise in the fees.

We bought our tickets early, BUT we have to wait for the hats (stuck on a boat from China off the west coast).

Cheers

David aka Superdad

Can't agree more........Derby's are nothing more then another form of commercial fishing IMHO. I only wish they were outlawed.

If 5000 people fish this derby, that means 5000 people ENJOY fishing this derby.

If you don't want to fish it....DON'T

Why the heck are so many people concerned with what others do ??

If 5000 people fish this derby, that means 5000 people ENJOY fishing this derby.

If you don't want to fish it....DON'T

Why the heck are so many people concerned with what others do ??

And I don't but because there are so many Tournaments / Derby's it's sometime hard to avoid them. Have you not just gone fishing with your son only to find out the place you towed your boat all the to is swamped with a line of boats to launch because it's another bass tournament or walleye tournament, etc.....and then every spot you intended to fish has multiple boats already on it.....if you haven't had that bad experience maybe you don't fish as much as I do.

if you haven't had that bad experience maybe you don't fish as much as I do.

After 60 odd years of fishing I'm sure I've fished more than most on this board...including you.

Tournies & derbies are perfectly legal and are enjoyed by thousands every year. If I go to a lake that's hosting a tournament and I find it too busy I simply drive a bit further to another lake.

As I said above, if you don't like something don't do it, and if your not happy with a lake, just move along to the next one, it's all very simple really.

One thing about Ontario, we do have more than a couple lakes.

After 60 odd years of fishing I'm sure I've fished more than most on this board...including you.

Tournies & derbies are perfectly legal and are enjoyed by thousands every year. If I go to a lake that's hosting a tournament and I find it too busy I simply drive a bit further to another lake.

As I said above, if you don't like something don't do it, and if your not happy with a lake, just move along to the next one, it's all very simple really.

One thing about Ontario, we do have more than a couple lakes.

Yes, you have me by 3 full years.........but since I'm a former charter capt and have fished 100 - 120 days a year back then, I think I'm qualified on the subject.

Moving from one lake to another is not a good answer once you spent the time to get to said lake and then going to another lake doesn't guarantee that lake wouldn't have a derby in it or fish being sought after will be on the hot bite like the lake I really wanted to fish.

I'm just posting my opinion............ which is what I thought we are suppose to do here.... :)

Your allowed anywhere in zone 20...?

From the rules Area 20 runs south of highway 2.This area includes Brighton,Trenton,Belleville,Prince Edward County,Napanee,Amherst Island and Ernest Town and most of Lake Ontario.Note ineligible areas: North of No1dam Trenton,North of CPR Bridge Belleville.

The catch is all fish being weighed in must not be transported over land they have to be brought in by boat.

We launch at the upper Ontario St. launch in Trenton every year around 6AM on the Sat.morning takes about 10 min at the most.You may have 5000 + people fishing this derby but it includes the whole of zone 20

Thanks, that sounds like a viable option as I'm staying in Trenton. Thanks everyone for your help and commentary :).

Like i said in the initial post, I know it may be a bit of a sight but I have to say i've tried it at least once :)