Jerry cans (gas cans)

northernpike56

It's most likely that the plastic under the small yellow cap isn't 100% flat. When you screw down the yellow cap, there's a bit of plastic preventing it from sealing. Find an old piece of bicycle inner tube, cut a small round piece to fit inside the cap. It should solve the problem.

There is no way you should be storing expensive gasoline in that jerry can on it's side. Gasoline is one of the most dangerous items stored in garages and every effort should be made to eliminate any leakage to prevent a fire / explosion.

Please be careful.

Regardless of the can's orientation, it should not leak. If liquid gas can leak from it, then fuel vapours also can. Gasoline vapour is much more volatile than when it's in liquid form.

Take the can back and exchange it for one that does not leak; even if it's sitting on its head.

Dan.

Better not tell that to the 30 cans of Avgas, that I have squeezed between my knees and tightened the caps down tight on !

Thanks Wayne!

I didn't want to start anything; but if I had gas cans that were venting on their own, while in storage. Well lets just say, I wouldn't be the first one in the shop in the mornings to flip the furnaces on. LOL

Not to belittle Mister G; yes you're right, they do have to vent; but only when you're pouring gas out of them. As for expansion, you should never fill a gas can any more than 90%; that 10% space will allow room for the expansion of the fuel.

Dan.

I much prefer the vented cans than those newer ones. You can adjust the pour rate, plus you can pour from the vent for real small gas tanks with small caps.

I also agree with most others here. Tanks should not be stored on their side. All my gas cans are outside and I leave the vent slightly open. The only time it gets tightened right down is during any transport.

Cheers

So everybody doesn't panic thinking I'll light my garage on fire:

I was planning on always storing it upright (which it is right now), I wanted to put it sideways in the trunk of my car after I was at the shell station, so when I turned, it wouldn't fall over in the trunk. Upon realizing it leaked gasoline when tipped sideways, I just put it in the passenger side footwell of the car and held onto it with my right arm when turning so it wouldn't tip.

I also agree with hating those nozzle vented ones, I have one of the 20L versions of those and its absolutely terrible when its full lol

I much prefer the vented cans than those newer ones. You can adjust the pour rate, plus you can pour from the vent for real small gas tanks with small caps.

I also agree with most others here. Tanks should not be stored on their side. All my gas cans are outside and I leave the vent slightly open. The only time it gets tightened right down is during any transport.

Cheers

do you ever have any problems with water getting in your gasoline?

So everybody doesn't panic thinking I'll light my garage on fire:

I was planning on always storing it upright (which it is right now), I wanted to put it sideways in the trunk of my car after I was at the shell station, so when I turned, it wouldn't fall over in the trunk. Upon realizing it leaked gasoline when tipped sideways, I just put it in the passenger side footwell of the car and held onto it with my right arm when turning so it wouldn't tip.

I also agree with hating those nozzle vented ones, I have one of the 20L versions of those and its absolutely terrible when its full lol

When transporting I put my gas can in a five gallon bucket. Much more stable that way. Don't know if you'res will fit though.

ON A SIDE NOTE,

not to derail my own thread, but does anybody know if it's fine to use TC W3 outboard oil for other 2 stroke engines like lawnmowers/dirtbikes/leafblowers and stuff? The reason why I'm asking is because every single two stroke engine I have takes the same Fuel:oil ratio (50:1) and I'm relatively new to all of this stuff

Thanks!

Edited by northernpike5391

ON A SIDE NOTE,

not to derail my own thread, but does anybody know if it's fine to use TC W3 outboard oil for other 2 stroke engines like lawnmowers/dirtbikes/leafblowers and stuff? The reason why I'm asking is because every single two stroke engine I have takes the same Fuel:oil ratio (50:1) and I'm relatively new to all of this stuff

Thanks!

Yup can do, I have seperate cans for mixed gas and straight gas. Mark the can as mixed gas and the ratio so you don't confuse them in the future

No issues whatsoever

G

Edited by Gerritt