learned something cool from my lil nish today NF

manitoubass2

So we are getting ready to go for a walleye fish on the rainy river today. My son and I are going through the mental checklist and all is well. He says "what about tobacco dad"?

Ah yes we'll have to stop and get tobacco to lay down(typical ojibwe offering to the creator before taking from the earth)

He says "well I finish breakfast and go get us some tobacco, ok dad"?

Im thinking what the????

"Yeah dad I was out back in the bush and I found some red willow. That can be offered as tobacco. You can also smoke it too dad you know, its good for your lungs and its used as a sign of peace offering in war times"

So Im a little baffled. I mean my boy is smart but what kind of knowledge bomb is he dropping on me here? He's 11 lol.

So I make a call to an old friend that is a well respected elder. I tell him the story and he says your son is absolutely right! Please bring me some if you can.

Okay, so know my son goes off in the bush and shaves some red willow.

"Ooops dad I forgot, we cant use this today. It needs a few days to dry"

Anyhow I just thought I'd share this moment. Pretty knowledgeable lil boy we got here hahaha.

Cansasa by the lakota. Ill have to learn the name in ojibwe but i think they'd call it giniginige

Hard to believe the weather you've got way up there Rick with +5 temps & soft water.

Lakes are still frozen around here, high today is -2 and in my area there's more snow than bare ground.

Edited by lew

Lew its been as hot as +18 about 10-12 days ago lol. Then it kinda cooled back off. Cool part is where we are fishing today is wide open. Yet if we drive 25 mins west there is still 20" of ice lol.

And yes beavertail, im open ears to learning. No matter who it comes from. Its just a bonus its from my son

Very proud dad, all our kids have taught us. Id like to think thats partly from us parents

That story warms the heart. Good looking kid Rick, must take after his mother. And what's with these plus temps. Up early this AM, early for me, to hit the Bassmasters swap and tackle meet in Hamilton, -12C at 07:00 at the lake. Something isn't right here. Great show by the way.

Kinnikinnick- Red willow is known for its healing properties.

That story warms the heart. Good looking kid Rick, must take after his mother. And what's with these plus temps. Up early this AM, early for me, to hit the Bassmasters swap and tackle meet in Hamilton, -12C at 07:00 at the lake. Something isn't right here. Great show by the way.

Kinnikinnick- Red willow is known for its healing properties.

is that an ojibwe word? I thought it meant or referred to sort of a collection of various plants to smoke? I could be totally wrong though lol

ummmm no he takes after me lol. It was cold here overnight too, actually I think it went to -15. Cool to hear the show was good. Grab anything cool?(fishing relayed of course?)

GIniginige- I beleive is the Ojibwe term and from my understaning it means anything that can be smoked that is a natural plant. Red Willow Bark being one of many

Buyer - Yo mang, how much for da ounce of sum dat fine Giniginige...

Dealer - youz on da crack boi? Whatchoo talkin' bout?!?!

Li'l Nish! Not to shabby for Anishinaibi at all. ;)

I scored a Daiwa deep spool line counter reel and a Shimano 7'6" downrigger rod for 40 beans. Buddy bought 50 some odd spoons in a roll up tackle pack for $120.00. Many deals there Rick. How about 12 new assorted Rappala's for $35.00 Ted scored? Can't beat the deals.